Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And I could live with that when you consider the addition of two decent draft picks in compensation of players lost... I just don't want to hear story hour from the media and false accusations and anomalous assumptions from the fan base.

Something's gotta give. I agree with you 100% that management needs to get moving. And if it's true the Oilers could have signed both of their own developed 1st rounders for a combined 3M, or thereabouts, that's a colossal kick to the ass of everyone concerned.

I'm surprised with your inclusion of Nick Cousins. At 1M that would be decent sandpaper depth.

If the story is true or false it was released to perplex the fan base.
There's a reason Friedman is the only one reporting it. Cause it's straight out of his ass

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Carolina found out the risk is not as contained as they think after the Kotkaniemi Offer sheet. They had to go into EVERY salary negotiation with every forward on their roster saying they were owed $6m for barely being a roster player / playoff scratch. Every agent started negotiations with $6m AAV.

Matthew Kessel also is an AHL tweener Right-Shot who is RFA for the Blues next season.

His agent will say.. cool. Sign me up for that $4.5m AAV please.

It's not inconsequential. Especially if they don't live up to that contract (certainly won't in year 1).
St. Louis's cap situation looks manageable. Their core young forwards are locked into long-term deals with exception of Neighbours up next year. A Holloway comp isn't going to make or break that. Their defense which has been an issue weighting old, trade protected players is something they've actively tried to correct. They have a decent number of players coming off their books the next couple of years so should have flexibility financially. A strong prospect pool and draft picks to move out a prospective AHL tweener like you mention in Kessel.

It's a targeted, smart piece of GMing that I'm sure Blues players will appreciate and understanding working the margins to improve their team. They'll have enough flexibility in all respects to move out someone on the outer markers of their roster that doesn't fit their financial structure.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
St. Louis's cap situation looks manageable. Their core young forwards are locked into long-term deals with exception of Neighbours up next year. A Holloway comp isn't going to make or break that. Their defense which has been an issue weighting old, trade protected players is something they've actively tried to correct. They have a decent number of players coming off their books the next couple of years so should have flexibility financially. A strong prospect pool and draft picks to move out a prospective AHL tweener like you mention in Kessel.

It's a targeted, smart piece of GMing that I'm sure Blues players will appreciate and understanding working the margins to improve their team. They'll have enough flexibility in all respects to move out someone on the outer markers of their roster that doesn't fit their financial structure.

The only flaw I see with their plan is the QO's that they'll face when/if those two are up. Broberg is almost certainly a candidate to not qualify and then try again for cheaper, Holloway lesser so, but still in the same camp.

Unfortunately I'm kind of seeing Holloway as a rental in this sense if we match the sheet. If he performs well, or even mediocre, we're probably looking at an extension that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I'm inclined to agree with @Perfect_Drug here. They might have core players locked up but the first comparable an agent will look at is who is on the team and their salary relative to performance.

If Broberg or Holloway don't pan out at their respective cap hits, they will be setting the table for overpaying homegrown players

IMO fans overplay the "offersheets don't happen because old boys club" mantra. It's more that they don't happen because you have to overpay a player to entice them and it's incredibly risky in a cap world.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm inclined to agree with @Perfect_Drug here. They might have core players locked up but the first comparable an agent will look at is who is on the team and their salary relative to performance.

If Broberg or Holloway don't pan out at their respective cap hits, they will be setting the table for overpaying homegrown players

IMO fans overplay the "offersheets don't happen because old boys club" mantra. It's more that they don't happen because you have to overpay a player to entice them and it's incredibly risky in a cap world.
The circumstances haven't really presented themselves to buy-low (compensation wise) nor with a double jeopardy target team like Edmonton. Capped out and having to fend off two hostile contract offers. Worst case for St. Louis the Oilers match and drive up their cap overage more and need to trim their roster.

When looking at the signings, there's significant glass full reality as well with an age 24 defenseman who can drop in immediately. One who has shown NHL success through shitty development when played at his natural left side and who jumped into deep playoff competition on his off shooting side (when a more established NHL Kulak stated his preference to stay on his natural left shooting side). Holloway gives at worst a third line fast, heavy and aggressive forward.

The Oilers walked themselves into a perfect storm.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You really are hard pressed to OS an expensive 1st liner, top Dman. The comp and cap room needed is high.

These mid range guys, when the cap is going up, it puts the 2nd round pick comp at up to $4.6 mill. That's the guys who you are really most vulnerable to lose. Guys who are just ok or decent on their elc and then get an OS to the mid $4's when you were only budgeting upwards of $2 mill, and if you don't have the cap room to fit them in, then you are pressed to make a tough call.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The only flaw I see with their plan is the QO's that they'll face when/if those two are up. Broberg is almost certainly a candidate to not qualify and then try again for cheaper, Holloway lesser so, but still in the same camp.

Unfortunately I'm kind of seeing Holloway as a rental in this sense if we match the sheet. If he performs well, or even mediocre, we're probably looking at an extension that doesn't make a ton of sense.
If Broberg isn't matched, he walks onto a veteran blueline where his partner is Parayko or Faulk while playing on his natural left-side where he had decent NHL stretches including a run with Bouchard. There's very decent likelihood that he progress quickly into a bonafide second pair minute defenseman. His pay range would be reasonable within his prime years. If he somehow didn't deliver on his potential it's a two year exit plan on a 2nd round lottery ticket.

St. Louis won a Cup around a long, deep and skilled blueline. They've constructed and drafted pretty well at this position.

With St. Louis young core forward depth and deep positional prospect pool, frankly, I could see Holloway spun off to Calgary at some future point. He's the leverage point for the Blues to run at Broberg.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Broberg isn't matched, he walks onto a veteran blueline where his partner is Parayko or Faulk while playing on his natural left-side where he had decent NHL stretches including a run with Bouchard. There's very decent likelihood that he progress quickly into a bonafide second pair minute defenseman. His pay range would be reasonable within his prime years. If he somehow didn't deliver on his potential it's a two year exit plan on a 2nd round lottery ticket.

St. Louis won a Cup around a long, deep and skilled blueline. They've constructed and drafted pretty well at this position.

With St. Louis young core forward depth and deep positional prospect pool, frankly, I could see Holloway spun off to Calgary at some future point. He's the leverage point for the Blues to run at Broberg.
Explain

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just gonna have to be vigilant when a young D 1st rounder like Boqvist or Valimaki is available for peanuts to jump on that next time out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Think I've referenced it in most of my posts on this precedent setting event. No team has faced a double RFA offer in a season let alone two players targeted by one organization. The Oilers quite likely fend off one offer sheet but two is difficult as we've seen it push them to a cap overage of $7,225, 541.

Holloway's salary level and increase is within reason where on its own it would be easy to match. Add the second player Broberg and sign him strategically to a very high stretch financial amount but still within a low compensation range and it requires the Oilers to make a fundamental choice including roster cuts if they take the big gulp to retain both young players.

The Blues have a strong core of young prime year forwards (and pedigree prospect pool) so Holloway is a nice to have. Whereas they have an old, expensive d-corp with no-trade provisions including Krug who has utilized it to prevent a trade. They've been on record as wanting to better balance their cap expenditure across the roster. Fortuitously with Krug now on LTIR (after scuttling yet another trade), they have the money, roster spot, and opportunity to run at Broberg. A player they have allegedly coveted for some time including this past trade deadline.

Blues biggest priority in their retool, not rebuild stategy is to find young NHL defensemen. Broberg for a 2nd round pick is a reasonable gamble of a marginal asset. Adding Holloway to their aggressive move makes it more difficult for Edmonton who've left themselves in a cap deficit. Holloway for a 3rd round pick is a pretty solid consolation prize.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The circumstances haven't really presented themselves to buy-low (compensation wise) nor with a double jeopardy target team like Edmonton. Capped out and having to fend off two hostile contract offers. Worst case for St. Louis the Oilers match and drive up their cap overage more and need to trim their roster.
You're ignoring how detrimental it is having players under performing on their cap hit, and looking purely at compensation.

At face value Yamamoto is totally worth $1million. So was Kostin. Heck even Puljujaarvi might still be an Oiler if he was OK with a league min deal.

Holloway has absolutely no value at $2m. Like zero. You can't trade Holloway away for anything at $2m AAV. Kostin at $2m was dumped in under a year by a bubble team.

Reactions: asa and Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You're ignoring how detrimental it is having players under performing on their cap hit, and looking purely at compensation.

At face value Yamamoto is totally worth $1million. So was Kostin. Heck even Puljujaarvi might still be an Oiler if he was OK with a league min deal.

Holloway has absolutely no value at $2m. Like zero. You can't trade Holloway away for anything at $2m AAV. Kostin at $2m was dumped in under a year by a bubble team.
I'm talking specifically about the St. Louis Blues cap situation now and how it looks over the next two years of the offer sheet duration. That's all that is relevant here.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm talking specifically about the St. Louis Blues cap situation now and how it looks over the next two years of the offer sheet duration. That's all that is relevant here.

Then you haven't paid attention to the Kotkaniemi situation in Carolina.

www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/what-would-a-jesperi-kotkaniemi-buyout-look-like/sn-amp/

And Carolina had an enviable cap position too. But trading away a contract albatross is really hard to do.

And this doesn't include how every negotiation citing a player on their own team as a direct comparable.

Every depth forward automatically gets to ask for Holloway money if they outperform him. Every Dman ahead of Broberg will now ask for $4.5m.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Then you haven't paid attention to the Kotkaniemi situation in Carolina.

www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/what-would-a-jesperi-kotkaniemi-buyout-look-like/sn-amp/

And Carolina had an enviable cap position too. But trading away a contract albatross is really hard to do.

And this doesn't include how every negotiation citing a player on their own team as a direct comparable.

Every depth forward automatically gets to ask for Holloway money if they outperform him. Every Dman ahead of Broberg will now ask for $4.5m.
I'm fully aware of all the other offer sheet scenarios. The scope of my discussion has always been this situation and relevance to St. Louis Blues cap, roster, and team need/strategy. It works for them and doing an unprecendented poison pill double offer sheet they've made it a very difficult decision for Edmonton.

Reactions: brentashton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly think Kostin is a better player than Holloway, funny how St. Louis let him go for peanuts and overpay this much for Holloway. If I could have either I'd take Kostin, he never got any looks with Draisaitl whereas Holloway did.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly think Kostin is a better player than Holloway, funny how St. Louis let him go for peanuts and overpay this much for Holloway. If I could have either I'd take Kostin, he never got any looks with Draisaitl whereas Holloway did.
Kostin's defensive game was pretty bad and he was in his draft+6 season when he played here. Holloway just finished his draft+4 and had an entire year of his development derailed by his wrist injury. I think Holloway has a lot more potential and value at the comparable cross roads with this team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kostin's defensive game was pretty bad and he was in his draft+6 season when he played here. Holloway just finished his draft+4 and had an entire year of his development derailed by his wrist injury. I think Holloway has a lot more potential and value at the comparable cross roads with this team.

Defensively they both kinda suck, lol. Maybe one will improve more than the other there but there's no guarantee.

If you gave Kostin playing time with Draisaitl I think he'd have more than 9 points in 38 games.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad