Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Why would that be? A player who has failed to crack the NHL gets an extension in January and refuses to take it is dumb to you? A player with no arb rights? Okay there buddy

Happens all the time. Tanev this year.
You answered your own question. At the time based on his performance the team had no reason to offer him much more than his QO, especially since they were going to be trying to stretch every dollar. From Brobergs perspective, maybe the team is offering you 100K more then your qualifying offer but there’s no way they wouldn’t qualify him so he always had the option of just signing his QO. In that situation there’s basically no risk in waiting compared to the potential upside of holding out until the summer in hopes you can improve your stock if you get an opportunity.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
No one would have known an offer sheet that large was coming a month ago.

In July they could have wrapped this up for a lot less.

The fact of the matter is it's stupid to defend dumb cap management. As a basic principal, you shouldn't have almost 7 million in dead cap in a contending window and you shouldn't be paying Darnell Nurse one of the highest salaries in the NHL. A good team in a contending window should know better.
Again, you’re just asserting things you actually have no knowledge of as factual.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're giving the exact reasons why he would have been dumb to sign in January.

There was zero risk of this player not getting an NHL deal. None. That wasn't a risk to be considered.

If he has no arb rights, the only leverage he possibly has is offer sheet. Why would his agent tell him to sign a bare bones deal around $1M AAV - A) before he comes back into the lineup to have a chance to improve his value - B) before he's traded with an opportunity to increase his value with a new team (remember, he asked for a trade) - C) gone into the off season to see if offer sheets are an option.

"Pfftt, he would have signed anything he wasn't in the NHL!" is a take that accounts for no pertinent facts whatsoever that would influence his likelihood to sign.
Was it the case that Broberg and Holloway had no arb rights?
If so then I got that wrong.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Do you think there’s a legitimate possibility that the other GMs in the league are colluding (for lack of a better word) against the Oilers because of the Bowman hiring? Offer sheets happen but this feels more vindictive to me and there’s rumours that they won’t make any deals to help the Oilers cap situation unless it’s a massive overpayment. Why on earth did we hire that Dbag as GM?
No I think the blues just saw an opportunity with the oilers up against the cap to snag these players for draft picks.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Dude, I’m not sure you understand how metrics work. Him being a number 4 in Arizona means he is playing against the same competition as any other number 4 defenseman in the league. If his metrics are good playing against the same players as Ceci- it means he’s a better player. Your example, Nurse being the Oilers slotted number 1 d man and putting up poor defensive metrics compared to other numbers 1s means he is a worse player.

Or, according to you, Carter Savoie, if offered a contract is December, was wise not to sign it
Stetcher is a career small but game journeyman player principally on bad non-playoff teams and pimped out to hopeful playoff teams in LA, Calgary, and Edmonton to give end of roster depth insurance.

He's been non-qualified by Vancouver; traded by Detroit for a 7th round pick; signed as a cheap UFA on a cannon fodder Arizona team; dealt in a nothing trade to Calgary to try and fail to make the playoffs; signed again on the cheap by a shitty Arizona team; and dealt for a 7th round pick to the Oilers. When his hometown team actually broke .500 play in 2019-20 the 15:21 toi depth the defenseman wasn't qualified and bounced to a bad Detroit team.

Thinking Stetcher can be a second pair on a Cup contending level team defies a decade of his usage and results whenever he gets anywhere near a .500 team or better. Context matters.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don’t think either player is worth it honestly. Draisaitl and Mcdavid need to be signed in the next year or two same with Bouchard I think?
This is what's relevant.

If they could have signed Broberg and Holloway for a combined 3M dollars that would have been a great thing. But management supposedly hesitated and the window for this option ended. That's the official story the media is running with?

Now the club has the option to sign them for a combined 6.87M, even if you get an extra year from one player or whatever, they won't clarify this... I say f*** it, take the draft pick compensation and move on. And it's 6.87M and not 6M like every media tool is spouting out their ass.

6.87M is too much money specifically when these players supposedly could have both been on the team for 3M.

The scenario spun from the usual weiner crew of Elliotte and fat Bob sounds like complete bullshit.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
You're giving the exact reasons why he would have been dumb to sign in January.

There was zero risk of this player not getting an NHL deal. None. That wasn't a risk to be considered.

If he has no arb rights, the only leverage he possibly has is offer sheet. Why would his agent tell him to sign a bare bones deal around $1M AAV - A) before he comes back into the lineup to have a chance to improve his value - B) before he's traded with an opportunity to increase his value with a new team (remember, he asked for a trade) - C) gone into the off season to see if offer sheets are an option.

"Pfftt, he would have signed anything he wasn't in the NHL!" is a take that accounts for no pertinent facts whatsoever that would influence his likelihood to sign.
You’re right. All fringe AHL players should never sign deals and should sit out until they get offer sheeted. It happens so often.

Reactions: AM

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This is what's relevant.

If they could have signed Broberg and Holloway for a combined 3M dollars that would have been a great thing. But management supposedly hesitated and the window for this option ended. That's the official story the media is running with?

Now the club has the option to sign them for a combined 6.87M, even if you get an extra year from one player or whatever, they won't clarify this... I say f*** it, take the draft pick compensation and move on. And it's 6.87M and not 6M like every media tool is spouting out their ass.

6.87M is too much money specifically when these players supposedly could have both been on the team for 3M.

The scenario spun from the usual weiner crew of Elliotte and fat Bob sounds like complete bullshit.
Oilers couldn't sign them to 3M because they held out. It was their decision to wait for an offersheet.

What the Oilers should have done was trade them for the best available player(s)

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No. Tanev was in the driver seat at the TDL annd HE elected to go to Dallas over Edmonton. That wasn’t collusion by GMs. Not remotely the same example.

So you’re saying the Flames, or any other team in NHL history, ALWAYS make the better deal- there is never spite involved, right?

Stetcher is a career small but game journeyman player principally on bad non-playoff teams and pimped out to hopeful playoff teams in LA, Calgary, and Edmonton to give end of roster depth insurance.

He's been non-qualified by Vancouver; traded by Detroit for a 7th round pick; signed as a cheap UFA on a cannon fodder Arizona team; dealt in a nothing trade to Calgary to try and fail to make the playoffs; signed again on the cheap by a shitty Arizona team; and dealt for a 7th round pick to the Oilers. When his hometown team actually broke .500 play in 2019-20 the 15:21 toi depth the defenseman wasn't qualified and bounced to a bad Detroit team.

Thinking Stetcher can be a second pair on a Cup contending level team defies a decade of his usage and results whenever he gets anywhere near a .500 team or better. Context matters.
Now do players on the cup winning panthers.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Oilers couldn't sign them to 3M because they held out. It was their decision to wait for an offersheet.

What the Oilers should have done was trade them for the best available player(s)
Not exactly. Isn't the word from Friedman that "Broberg was looking for 1.8M." How could Broberg "hold out" over the contract he was asking for in the first place? I guess it might have gone down like that.

It was Holloway that was offered 1.1M or 1.2M from the Oilers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You answered your own question. At the time based on his performance the team had no reason to offer him much more than his QO, especially since they were going to be trying to stretch every dollar. From Brobergs perspective, maybe the team is offering you 100K more then your qualifying offer but there’s no way they wouldn’t qualify him so he always had the option of just signing his QO. In that situation there’s basically no risk in waiting compared to the potential upside of holding out until the summer in hopes you can improve your stock if you get an opportunity.
I would agree. From the player POV, even on a 1 way deal, your hope is to get a chance to showcase yourself in the NHL. Thus, no rush to sign if they don't give you something to make it tempting back in Q1 of this year. Might as well just play out the year and see how it goes.

Even an injury, the team will give you a QO to maintain your rights, so you can sign that.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's a pretty contained risk by St. Louis with financial;
Carolina found out the risk is not as contained as they think after the Kotkaniemi Offer sheet. They had to go into EVERY salary negotiation with every forward on their roster saying they were owed $6m for barely being a roster player / playoff scratch. Every agent started negotiations with $6m AAV.

Matthew Kessel also is an AHL tweener Right-Shot who is RFA for the Blues next season.

His agent will say.. cool. Sign me up for that $4.5m AAV please.

It's not inconsequential. Especially if they don't live up to that contract (certainly won't in year 1).

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not exactly. Isn't the word from Friedman that "Broberg was looking for 1.8M." How could Broberg "hold out" over the contract he was asking for in the first place? I guess it might have gone down like that.

It was Holloway that was offered 1.1M or 1.2M from the Oilers.
Do you really believe that wouldn't have already been done if it was 1.8M? It was rumoured that Holloway asked for 1.2M. Again, do you think the Oilers wouldn't match that?

The 1.8M and 1.2M rumour from Friedman says all the creditability about him. Just straight up lying

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You’re right. All fringe AHL players should never sign deals and should sit out until they get offer sheeted. It happens so often.
To maintain a player's rights, the NHL team has give out a QO. Up to the player to decide whether they are in a position to ask for more than the QO or whether they are best to sign it. If the offer in Jan/Feb is roughly close to their QO, might as well roll the dice on the remainder of the year to hope you can up your value.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do you really believe that wouldn't have already been done if it was 1.8M? It was rumoured that Holloway asked for 1.2M. Again, do you think the Oilers wouldn't match that?

The 1.8M and 1.2M rumour from Friedman says all the creditability about him. Just straight up lying
If Holloway asked for $1.2 mill, then it's an EDM issue that they didn't agree to it. So, that seem illogical to not do that deal and have it done, vs argue over $100K. So, agree, not sure I believe the reporters on that one.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Holloway asked for $1.2 mill, then it's an EDM issue that they didn't agree to it. So, that seem illogical to not do that deal and have it done, vs argue over $100K. So, agree, not sure I believe the reporters on that one.
Again do you really believe that the Oilers would not match that if Holloway asked for 1.2M? Friedman is full of shit and people are believing it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think the Oilers match neither, while still trading Ceci. They then sign Barrie and Nick Cousins.
And I could live with that when you consider the addition of two decent draft picks in compensation for players poached... I just don't want to hear story hour from the media; the unsubstantiated accusations and anomalous assumptions from the fan base.

Something's gotta give. I agree with you 100% that management needs to get moving. And if it's true the Oilers could have signed both of their own developed 1st rounders for a combined 3M, or thereabouts, that's a colossal kick to the ass of everyone concerned.

I'm surprised with your inclusion of Nick Cousins. At 1M that would be decent sandpaper depth. This team needs some added toughness. Knuckleheads will be screaming for blood this season.

If the story is true or false it was released to perplex the fan base.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
As usual, you have no ability or willingness to actually attempt to defend your blatantly stupid opinion.
look who’s talking. Zero knowledge about anything. I defend all my opinions but you think you’re always f***ing right. Keep licking those oilers balls. And f***ing block me if you have a problem

Because they had several players claimed off waivers and put through similar situations as Stetcher, and guess what, they won the cup.

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad