Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What sucks is we already let Vinny go it’s tough to lose him and Broberg. The D is distinctly worse with both those guys gone unless someone steps up out of nowhere.

Losing Holloway we lose some speed up front down the lineup. Whole situation sucks.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure but what does that have to do with Holloway and Broberg?
It doesn’t really.
But the optics from the team is you have good players willing to take low contracts to win and come here and then you have young guys looking to leave for double what they are worth. Shows how different the younger gen of players is. Winning means nothing.

Brown too. He easily could have got more money. If Holloway got 2.2 Brown could have got around that.
Janmark as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What sucks is we already let Vinny go it’s tough to lose him and Broberg. The D is distinctly worse with both those guys gone unless someone steps up out of nowhere.

Losing Holloway we lose some speed up front down the lineup. Whole situation sucks.
Yep, the Broberg loss really stings. Now Brown and Stecher fill out the #6/#7 spot and Ceci is right back up in the top 4 full time with nobody to push him. I'm sure the Oilers will add somebody in season but the defense is without a doubt weaker than it was to end last season.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
It doesn’t really.
But the optics from the team is you have good players willing to take low contracts to win and come here and then you have young guys looking to leave for double what they are worth. Shows how different the younger gen of players is. Winning means nothing.

Janmark as well.
Well the vets already have money in the bank, they own houses, have families.

Holloway and Broberg are probably seeing all their non hockey friends their age unable to own homes. I totally get them wanting to secure a decent amount of money. They can buy a house and still have money in the bank. They just cut a major stress from their young lives.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Maybe. But we all were pretty much in agreement that Broberg was the guy who deserved to be in the top 4, not Ceci, this coming season. He was drafted as a guy who was going to take longer to develop, and he’s finally getting there. I’d rather move Ceci for like a 3rd and find an extra million in capspace to keep Broberg
Do you mean trading away a 2nd round pick + Ceci to dump him. Oilers have zero leverage in that type of trade this week.

I think Ceci is underrated, but leverage is leverage and GMs know how to use it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It doesn’t really.

Janmark as well.
It's an apples and oranges comparison. Skinner and Henrique have been paid handsomely for a long time, Brown is already getting 3.6m from the Oilers and Janmark, as much as I like the guy, is taking a minor discount tbh. You're asking Broberg, who has made near league minimum for 3 years, to leave $7m on the table. Maybe I can see an argument for Holloway but it was still more than the Oilers offered and probably twice as much. There's no reason for anybody in the locker room to look down on these two for taking the money.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well the vets already have money in the bank, they own houses, have families.

Holloway and Broberg are probably seeing all their non hockey friends their age unable to own homes. I totally get them wanting to secure a decent amount of money. They can buy a house and still have money in the bank. They just cut a major stress from their young lives.
For sure. But like I can see why it would piss off other players too. They are hurting the Oilers by leaving or the Oilers signing that offer sheet. Like if the Oilers match and Broberg played like his analytics showed or plays like a bottom pair D, it’s going to be such a slap to the face to the entire team.
Especially to a guy like Brown who you can tell feels awful that he didn’t hold up his side of the deal last year.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yeah he was replacing Desharnais who is big and slow with bottom pair minutes.
Sure you don’t want to let go of the next Forsling but you don’t also want to weaken your team to give 4.5 mill to the next Caleb Jones

Caleb Jones and Broberg's goal shares and analytics look to be inversely proportional so I fail to see the correlation.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It doesn’t really.

Janmark as well.
If those guys were getting offers at double their salary they would probably be gone.

Reactions: barry halls

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's an apples and oranges comparison. Skinner and Henrique have been paid handsomely for a long time, Brown is already getting 3.6m from the Oilers and Janmark, as much as I like the guy, is taking a minor discount tbh. You're asking Broberg, who has made near league minimum for 3 years, to leave $7m on the table. Maybe I can see an argument for Holloway but it was still more than the Oilers offered and probably twice as much. There's no reason for anybody in the locker room to look down on these two for taking the money.
I’m not saying he should leave it on the table. More saying I can see guys feeling insulted for it cause it’s selfish and hurts the team.
Like you can say “hell ya, get your money” but also be upset and hurt on what that means for you.

If those guys were getting offers at double their salary they would probably be gone.
Possibly. But at least those guys have shown they are worth that. Broberg is barely worth 1.5

Macblender

May 5, 2014
For sure. But like I can see why it would piss off other players too. They are hurting the Oilers by leaving or the Oilers signing that offer sheet. Like if the Oilers match and Broberg played like his analytics showed or plays like a bottom pair D, it’s going to be such a slap to the face to the entire team.
Especially to a guy like Brown who you can tell feels awful that he didn’t hold up his side of the deal last year.
Yeah if Drai is talking taking a discount (or something like that) and mcdavid and Bouchard follow suit then I can see the culture not liking that especially after Henrique, brown, janmark, skinner, arvidsson, kane all reportedly had larger contracts on the table. If nuge went to free agency he would have got a lot more than a low 5s as well.

Some of them don’t matter but lots of guys taking less to be here and it is less the Broberg one that bugs me since it is dumb to turn down prob 3x the money but Holloway that contract isn’t crazy higher than he would have got with Skinner gone after the year and with that more opportunity

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've said it already so many times today, but you just can't sign Broberg at 4.6 million. That's just a terrible contract, and he hasn't done a thing to earn it. He played 12 NHL games last season.

I can't see anyone in the room being upset at Broberg for taking that deal, you'd be a complete moron. Holloway I could see causing a bit of a stir, but we don't know what the Oilers were actually offering.

Ultimately, I doubt the rest of the core is bothered by today at all, I really don't think they view either player as a core guy, and probably are more excited about entering the season with all of Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Janmark, and Brown signed. And they seem to love Ceci, so there's that too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So as far as the lineup.. some people had Holloway playing 4C, or wing on the 3rd.

Should Bowman secure a decent 4C now? There’s a hole there and 2RD, but 4C is way easier to fill.
I think they give some internal guys some shots. Hamblin looked good in that role in injury fill and they can always shore that up spot at the deadline.
If Holloway was going to play wing, a few decent internal options to try in Savoie, Lavoie and Jarventie. So I think a Holloway replacement is found internally or in season.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I dont know if this has been mentioned but Stauffer said, 3 times with emphasis, that Holland was instructed by upper leadership to get Holloway and Broberg signed while they were both in the minors (December/January) and it never got done.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've said it already so many times today, but you just can't sign Broberg at 4.6 million. That's just a terrible contract, and he hasn't done a thing to earn it. He played 12 NHL games last season.

I can't see anyone in the room being upset at Broberg for taking that deal, you'd be a complete moron. Holloway I could see causing a bit of a stir, but we don't know what the Oilers were actually offering.

Ultimately, I doubt the rest of the core is bothered by today at all, I really don't think they view either player as a core guy, and probably are more excited about entering the season with all of Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Janmark, and Brown signed. And they seem to love Ceci, so there's that too.
The biggest issue with losing Broberg and Holloway is we solidify ourselves as the oldest team in the league and lose a good amount of speed after losing McLeods speed.

I dont know if this has been mentioned but Stauffer said, 3 times with emphasis, that Holland was instructed by upper leadership to get Holloway and Broberg signed while they were both in the minors (December/January) and it never got done.
I don’t know why that matters. Players have to agree to a contract and why would either sign what was probably around 1 mill when both know they haven’t shown anything. They were both hoping to show better and be worth more.
You can’t force guys to sign.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

And I’m sure the player agents advised their clients not to take any deal while their value was low. I’m sure Holland tried to sign Holloway and Broberg if that report is true but no agent in their right mind would allow their client to sign while toiling away in the minors.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I’m not saying he should leave it on the table. More saying I can see guys feeling insulted for it cause it’s selfish and hurts the team.
Like you can say “hell ya, get your money” but also be upset and hurt on what that means for you.

Possibly. But at least those guys have shown they are worth that. Broberg is barely worth 1.5
I think he's worth more than that, possibly substantially more, but even if he's only worth 1.5 that's all the more reason for him to sign the offer sheet. For the most part these guys have 6-12 years they can make money playing hockey. I love my job but I'd have my two weeks in tomorrow if I was offered 4x my salary

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lineup for use if we lose Holloway I wonder if we try running a line of Henrique with Savoie, Jarventie or Lavoie…at least in camp for a bit. He has a history of carrying young players in Anaheim and performing well, I’m sure he could do the same on a third line instead of a top line. If it works in the camp try it for a bit, if not still got Perry.

I think he's worth more than that, possibly substantially more, but even if he's only worth 1.5 that's all the more reason for him to sign the offer sheet. For the most part these guys have 6-12 years they can make money playing hockey. I love my job but I'd have my two weeks in tomorrow if I was offered 4x my salary
He MIGHT be worth that. 10 games of a player is meaningless. You have to earn your money, he hasn’t.
Like I don’t blame him at all but I’m annoyed by it and think it’s going to negatively impact whatever team gets him.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yep, the Broberg loss really stings. Now Brown and Stecher fill out the #6/#7 spot and Ceci is right back up in the top 4 full time with nobody to push him. I'm sure the Oilers will add somebody in season but the defense is without a doubt weaker than it was to end last season.
Why is Ceci number 4? Stetcher’s defensive metrics are far superior than Ceci’s playing a top 4 role on a crappy Arizona team.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You're aware that players have to accept contracts also?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad