Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yep. Broberg played 10 nhl games at the same level as Ceci playing rough and people think he is worth it. It’s baffling.

His analytics might have been bad, but his results were good. Plus he was playing his offside against killers when nobody else wanted to. So, the kid deserves some of the praise he's getting.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Such bullshit. Jeff Jackson was running the show as soon as he was hired. The Woody firing and Knoblauch hire all but confirmed it.

If they really wanted to sign both players they could have, now Holland is being made the convenient scapegoat.
Yeah pretty sure that is mctonybrar’s twitter with the same post.

Honestly in January Broberg was in the minors and Holloway was coming off Ltir and going to Bako.

Unless they really wanted security and Brobergs agent was pissed at the oilers then why would either agent ever recommend signing shit at that point in time. Reeks of media spinning blame on someone not here or alternatively a person who misheard or misunderstood what stauffer said

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Man I’m saying Broberg was NOT signing a new deal with the Oilers in January regardless of Kenny’s action or inaction. He wanted out.
That's typical Stauff blaming the previous regime.

I would also place the most blame on Holland for this but not for the reasons Stauffer outlined but because of the Nurse and Campbell contracts forcing them into this position.

Last edited:

OilfaninTO

Aug 1, 2020
Perhaps Bowman clears some cap space and then looks to the UFA market to fill some holes.
Maybe take a much longer look at Troy Skecher as well.

For example...surely there has to be a UFA who wants a chance to win that they can pick up on D at a bargain price (especially at this point in time).

As of August 7th....

Daily Faceoff’s Top Remaining Free Agents​

RankPlayerPosAgeTeamCap HitGPGPTSAFP Projection
34James van RiemsdykRW35BOS$1M7111381 x $1.2M
58Tyson BarrieRD33NSH$4.5M411151 x $1.75M
60Tony DeAngeloRD28CAR$1.68M313112 x $1.75M
62Tyler JohnsonRW33CHI$5M6717311 x $1.7M
64Kevin LabancRW28SJS$4.73M46291 x $893K
65Mike HoffmanRW34SJS$4.5M6610231 x $1.15M
75Max PaciorettyLW35WSH$2M474231 x $1.5M
NRJakub VranaLW28STL$5.25M21261 x $845K
NRJustin SchultzD33SEA$3M707262 x $2.4M
NRJohn KlingbergD31TOR$4.15M14151 x $1.65M
NRKevin LankinenG29NSH$2.0M242.82.9082 x 2M
NRNick CousinsLW30FLA$1.1M697151 x $1.2M
NRAntti RaantaG35CAR$1.5M242.99.8721 x $812K
NRCal ClutterbuckRW36NYI$1.75M827191 x $981K
NRFilip ZadinaRW24SJ$1.1M7213231 x $1.21M

Deangelo is the only one worth anything but the optics would be horrible. Especially after hiring Bowman and already employing Kane, Perry and recently Virtanen.

Barrie, Schultz or Klingberg? 🤮

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think i have anger issues.

It really pisses me off watching the pundits outside of Edmonton relish in our misery. Suddenly everyone is an expert and piling on the Oilers for letting this happen even though offer sheets almost never happen in the NHL. Literally everyone else squeezes their RFAs.

Even as stanley cup favourites, other fan bases and media can't seem to help themselves and it's frustrating.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Revenge is supposed to hurt the other party and help you,

One time some Columbus fan told us we had to take Jarmo back in a trade and I countered with demanding the accursed monkey's paw known as Peter Chiarelli be going their way to assure mutual destruction. Basically the hockey version of a nuclear arms standoff.

• Haha
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Such bullshit. Jeff Jackson was running the show as soon as he was hired. The Woody firing and Knoblauch hire all but confirmed it.

If they really wanted to sign both players they could have, now Holland is being made the convenient scapegoat.

I find it amusing when people blame their predecessors for their failures/shortcomings. I am no Holland fan, or Bowman for that matter but you're in the driver seat now, this goes on your record.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
His analytics might have been bad, but his results were good. Plus he was playing his offside against killers when nobody else wanted to. So, the kid deserves some of the praise he's getting.
That’s just the thing though. It’s an incredibly small sample size. His results were good but a lot of that was Skinner playing very well. That pair was giving up a ton of chances.
He deserves some praise for looking better than before.
But I’ve seen guys declaring him a top 4 d who looked like a top 2 d in the playoffs which is far from true.
He played well enough to be penciled into our top 6 to start the year but he was far from a guaranteed top 4 player let alone a sure fire thing to be a regular.
That contract could be catastrophic for the team.
Is there upside and potential, yes. Is it incredibly risky, absolutely.
That said. If they do it, it means Ceci has to be gone asap and we also have to move someone else as well.
That’s a ton of risk for a guy like that.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Broberg has made several noises in the past about moving on from Edmonton, and what he likely was offered (and is worth) from the Oilers is a massive difference from the Blues offer.

Holloway is different, in that while the offer is more, it is probably only about 800,000 more than what the Oilers offered. Plus he's from the province, and he seemed locked into playing 3rd line and more down the line. He is the one I can't understand waiting for an RFA offer.
Holloway could barely get into the lineup under two different coaches, finally gets a bit of a chance when Kane is injured but is still the first dropped in ice time when the team is making a push, and watched the Oilers sign two much more established vets(Arvidsson, Skinner), and a much more talented rookie in Savoie to compete with him for ice time,

He's probably looking for the opportunity to go somewhere where he'll get more of a push to establish himself for his next contract. If he stays in Edmonton, he faces the very real possibility of spending the whole season shuffling between the 4th line and the press box.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
There's a big difference between vets who already have years of financial base built up compared to rookies on their first big contract.

If anybody in the locker room has an issue with these guys doing what's best for them and their families with securing financial stability then they're a jerk tbh. Maybe it's just me but I would never have an issue with a teammate taking a big money contract and in fact, I'd be happy for them.
I get that but what was the point of taking the discount in the first place then?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holloway could barely get into the lineup under two different coaches, finally gets a bit of a chance when Kane is injured but is still the first dropped in ice time when the team is making a push, and watched the Oilers sign two much more established vets(Arvidsson, Skinner), and a much more talented rookie in Savoie to compete with him for ice time,

He's probably looking for the opportunity to go somewhere where he'll get more of a push to establish himself for his next contract. If he stays in Edmonton, he faces the very real possibility of spending the whole season shuffling between the 4th line and the press box.
But Holloway would arguably still be on the 4th line in st Louis.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If you can finally ditch Ceci then I dunno, probably better off with Broberg. Either way you're likely overpaying a 3rd pairing defenseman though so it's probably zero sum; Broberg just has more """potential""".

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
On the flip side this situation is exactly a reason why they took a discount, so that the team could bring back the best possible roster. The mantra was to check your ego at the door. If you’re upset about someone getting paid more than you, then you’ve lost the plot.

With Broberg especially no NHL player is gonna fault him for taking that money as they all would have in his position. It’s not comparable to a vet that’s set for life chasing a cup.

Whether they match both, one, or neither the players that took discounts did so because they wanted to give the management group as much flexibility as possible to ice the best roster.

It’s a perfect offer sheet as I’m still conflicted as to what the best path for the Oilers is.
Is a cup contender using 7 million on Broberg / Holloway really bringing back the best possible roster?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

It really pisses me off watching the pundits outside of Edmonton relish in our misery. Suddenly everyone is an expert and piling on the Oilers for letting this happen even though offer sheets almost never happen in the NHL. Literally everyone else squeezes their RFAs.

Even as stanley cup favourites, other fan bases and media can't seem to help themselves and it's frustrating.
Two offer sheets to one team in the same year has never been done in league history. That's how F'kd this is.

• Love
Reactions: McJedi

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022

Let's just put out a Drai advertised 14.5 mil contract followed by yours truly McD (unknown) the next year (16 mil, 20 mil, sure). How does a good young player move up in minutes and make more $ when the core takes up too much of the cap? Very little room to move up the food chain. So this is the end result. Like it or not.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
That’s just the thing though. It’s an incredibly small sample size. His results were good but a lot of that was Skinner playing very well. That pair was giving up a ton of chances.
He deserves some praise for looking better than before.
But I’ve seen guys declaring him a top 4 d who looked like a top 2 d in the playoffs which is far from true.
He played well enough to be penciled into our top 6 to start the year but he was far from a guaranteed top 4 player let alone a sure fire thing to be a regular.
That contract could be catastrophic for the team.
Is there upside and potential, yes. Is it incredibly risky, absolutely.
That said. If they do it, it means Ceci has to be gone asap and we also have to move someone else as well.
That’s a ton of risk for a guy like that.

I think once he was inserted into the lineup the Oilers became far better at dealing with Dallas offensive strategies, they exploited Vinnies slow retrievals and puck moving. In short, he contributed to winning hockey. Yes, it's important to curb excitement, but also do you want to be the team that as an example let go of potentially the next Gustav Forsling?
Keep in mind he's doing this all on his offside against 2 of the deepest teams in the league.
I say match Broberg, let Holloway go and offer sheet Jake Neigbours next year (jokes).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think once he was inserted into the lineup the Oilers became far better at dealing with Dallas offensive strategies, they exploited Vinnies slow retrievals and puck moving. In short, he contributed to winning hockey. Yes, it's important to curb excitement, but also do you want to be the team that as an example let go of potentially the next Gustav Forsling?
Keep in mind he's doing this all on his offside against 2 of the deepest teams in the league.
I say match Broberg, let Holloway go and offer sheet Jake Neigbours next year (jokes).
Yeah he was replacing Desharnais who is big and slow with bottom pair minutes.
Sure you don’t want to let go of the next Forsling but you don’t also want to weaken your team to give 4.5 mill to the next Caleb Jones

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

A risk he's willing to take it seems.

Easier to outcompete another player for ice time on a non-playoff team full of under-performing players than it is to trying to supplant players on a team that expects to compete for a cup.
Also becomes a choice between taking a little less money, playing a little less, having a less important role, maybe taking a one year deal but getting a ring at the end of it, so you can always call yourself a Stanley Cup champ, especially in the province where you're from. And then moving on if things don't appear to be working out for you. As opposed to kissing that away and joining a playoff fringe team with no real stars, playing some more, but possibly not ever tasting team success.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If you can finally ditch Ceci then I dunno, probably better off with Broberg. Either way you're likely overpaying a 3rd pairing defenseman though so it's probably zero sum; Broberg just has more """potential""".

It's too bad we didn't act on Ceci earlier because it would probably be very hard to move him now. Everyone knows we would be desperate to free up space.

Can Holland please get another GM job? We need a gm out there that doesn't believe in squeezing his opposition right now.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

Buddy after the last few years I basically hate the entire league. They just hate the Oilers for whatever reason, can’t help but hate them back.

One org and fan base I’ll always respect is the Habs. The fans support that team no matter what, just like the Oilers. They have the most incredible history too, ours isn’t so bad either. And I’ve just noticed Habs fans are the ones that’ll be decent to Oilers fans when everyone else is piling on, so they’re overwhelmingly good in my books.

Hopefully we lock up Drai and McDavid, the rest of the league has been having wet dreams for a decade about seeing those two walk. Would be so nice to lock them up for life and flip the bird to the rest of the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad