Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What was the damn hold up in getting these guys signed? I'm trying to give this management group the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard not to view this as another instance where the Oilers are smarter than everyone else. They were ripe for this to happen.

The hold up was the 2 players waiting for the offer sheet to come in. Apparently the Blues spoke with both players shortly after free agency opened up. That is why they never signed, the players didn't want to.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
SIgn Yamo for league minimum, he'll outproduce Holloway next year. Stetcher will be a better RHD than Broberg. You have Lavoie and Savoie pushing for spots. You have created a culture where players that want to play here, don't break that by giving undeserving players big money.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He can join Kostin next year watching our playoff games from the stands and ask himself then if it was worth it. If his answer is still yes, then don't want him here anyhow.

Kostin is a great example of what I'm getting at.

He's not signing 2x$2 with the Red Wings if he didn't perform like he did in the playoffs here.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Let's not act like they did nothing either. Holloway scored several big goals in multiple series, and gave this team some much needed speed and physicality. Broberg basically came in and stabilized a 2nd pairing that was getting caved in to help the Oilers get out of the WCF and performed well in the Cup Finals to get the Oilers within 1 goal of overtime in game 7. Considering their age and potential it would be pretty short sighted to kick them to the curb in favour of keeping a player like Cody Ceci.

Fair enough. But the Broberg deal is still a massive overpay, that also locks in an even BIGGER overpay for his QO in a couple years (unless he improves dramatically, which I guess could happen) Holloway is an overpay, but by a lot less.

This is all happening at the same time you are trying to convince Drai to take less for the betterment of the team. So Drai is supposed to take $2 M less so that we can overpay Broberg by $3 M? Our 2nd superstar is supposed to take a haircut while kids barely broke into the league are getting overpays? Yeah, the optics of that are NOT GOOD within the team at all. Management simply can't match either one of these deals and expect Drai to not demand the moon. I'd rather have Drai for $2 M less than Broberg for $3 M too much.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
SIgn Yamo for league minimum, he'll outproduce Holloway next year. Stetcher will be a better RHD than Broberg. You have Lavoie and Savoie pushing for spots. You have created a culture where players that want to play here, don't break that by giving undeserving players big money.

You could also sign Barrie for league minimum as well, as a stop gap for the regular season. You then get a D improvement at the TDL with the 3rd and 2nd rounder you just got. Both Barrie and Yams are players that can be buried and players you know want to be here. The dropoff in play from Holloway/Broberg -> Yams/Barrie isn't enough to warrant that cap difference, not by a country mile. Its like $2 M vs $6.8 M. Plus you get some assets to use at the TDL for playoff upgrades. This isn't that hard of a decision really.

Reactions: AM

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I was just looking through the ufa's and saw yamo there and was wondering if they would think about signing him. I'm not crazy about the player but at league minimum I wouldn't mind it. He can be a gagner replacement.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I wonder if we see Holloway in the stands like Kostin after it turns out around the same as it did for him when he chased the bag
We all have different priorities, and are all wired differently. Personally I'm old school and would play in the NHL for a team jacket, if I had the chance to win a SC. ;) Assuming Holloway has a decent but not spectacular career, he should be able to earn 20M or so over his career. With this deal he adds a couple of million to that total, say 22M. As a player, what monetary value would you place on being a SC champion? For me personally, it would be a lot, especially if I had the career earnings I expect Holloway will end up with. I would easily give up 2M to have a lifetime of memories as a SC champion, and still have made 20M. (And I get that there is no guarantee he will pan out and make that money, but I think with his talent and the way the cap is heading, that is a reasonable number, maybe even too conservative.)

Last edited:

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Nope

We either match or take the pick.

And if we match we can't trade.
I believe u can,the new contract doesn't kick in for 7 days.The new team would assume the contracts or recive the compensation. Slats traded for Joseph and Grier when St.Louis Signed an RFA Corson,he also did the same with Dave Manson when Washington tried to RFA him he traded him to Winnipeg for Mironov and Pieces I can't remember. Unless they have changed things in the CBA in recent yrs which I don't remember hearing.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
We all have different priorities, and are all wired differently. Personally I'm old school and would play in the NHL for a team jacket, if I had the chance to win a SC. ;) Assuming Holloway has a decent but not spectacular career, he should be able to 20M over his career. With this deal he adds a couple of million to that total, say 22M. As a player, what monetary value would you place on being a SC champion? For me personally, it would be a lot, especially if I had the career earnings I expect Holloway will end up with. I would easily give up 2M to have a lifetime of memories as a SC champion, and still have made 20M. (And I get that there is no guarantee he will pan out and make that money, but I think with his talent and the way the cap is heading, that is a reasonable number, maybe even too conservative.)
I’d play as a bench warmer on the last place team in the league and be “good in the dressing room” and a “good team player”. They can send me out to do interviews when nobody else wants to go.

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I believe u can,the new contract doesn't kick in for 7 days.The new team would assume the contracts or recive the compensation. Slats traded for Joseph and Grier when St.Louis Signed an RFA Corson,he also did the same with Dave Manson when Washington tried to RFA him he traded him to Winnipeg for Mironov and Pieces I can't remember. Unless they have changed things in the CBA in recent yrs which I don't remember hearing.

Contracts are valid the moment they are signed. Edmonton simply has the right to match. But the deals are done.

If you match can you trade them? I forget all the fine print.

No, not for 1 year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Once an offer sheet has been registered with the NHL the player can no longer be traded.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad