Spooky Or Odd Coincidences And Events In The NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The fact that Jordin Tootoo wore #22 is not much of a 'coincidence' but the fact that he was born on February 22nd has to be.

Way back when, in the QMJHL, the three top scorers at one point were Denis Savard, Denis Cyr, and Denis Tremblay -- Le Trois Denis. They played on the same team, and the same line. But, more than that, they were all born on the exact same day!

Came here to post Le Trois Denis. Born in the same hospital as well, I believe.

Only thing I can think of that’s comparable is that Ken Griffey Jr. is the 2nd best baseball player born on November 21 in Donora Pennsylvania.

Wasn't it also rumored for a long time the only reason this happened was because they traded for the wrong one at first and had to engineer a second trade to get the one they really wanted?

Definitely not. Vancouver acquired the ‘good’ Greg Adams two years before the journeyman grinder Greg C. Adams.

There has been a notion for years that Pittsburgh’s GM thought he was acquiring HHOFer Steve Shutt when they traded for Rod Schutt, but that’s probably just an urban legend.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Jaromir Jagr records his 1000th career point on 30. December 2000. Thats almost 24 years ago.

He still plays professional hockey.
I was at this game, it was my first NHL game and I had a newspaper on my wall about it for years. Heck I bet it's still up at my parents place. There were a few other milestones that night but I can't remember them now.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
I recall a story about Pierre Mondeau for the Habs shooting the puck or deflecting the puck out of play and into the stands and hitting his wife with it.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Gretzky breaking Howe’s all time point record against Edmonton was kind of wild.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
But he did it in the 17th season, how does that feel?
1725923845329534.jpg

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Scottie Upshall scored a point in a game he didn’t play in.
Nathan Horton scored a goal in a game he didn't play in.

If memory serves, a game between Dallas and Columbus was postponed after Rich Peverley collapsed on the bench. At the time Nathan Horton had scored a goal, putting the Jackets up 1-0.

When the postponed match was set to be played, Horton was injured and couldn't play. I think that was the injury that ended his career ?

On a different boat, a poster here predicted some obscure dman for the nucks would score in the 2nd period in a game in December. The poster picked which game. I believe the time he put was off, but still to call that at the start of the season was creepy.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Nathan Horton scored a goal in a game he didn't play in.

If memory serves, a game between Dallas and Columbus was postponed after Rich Peverley collapsed on the bench. At the time Nathan Horton had scored a goal, putting the Jackets up 1-0.

When the postponed match was set to be played, Horton was injured and couldn't play. I think that was the injury that ended his career ?

On a different boat, a poster here predicted some obscure dman for the nucks would score in the 2nd period in a game in December. The poster picked which game. I believe the time he put was off, but still to call that at the start of the season was creepy.
Same thing occurred between the Red Wings and Predators when Jiří Fischer collapsed and his heart actually stopped. Predators lead 1-0 and they restarted the game 2 months later Upshall was in the AHL in Milwaukee

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I recall a story about Pierre Mondeau for the Habs shooting the puck or deflecting the puck out of play and into the stands and hitting his wife with it.

I wonder if they're still married, lol.

Gretzky breaking Howe’s all time point record against Edmonton was kind of wild.

I actually remember watching that as as kid and knowing it was 100% going to happen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In 2006, Daniel Alfredsson had a front-row seat as Jason Pominville of the Sabres eliminated the Senators in Ottawa in OT in Game 5.

In 2007, the very next season, Daniel Alfredsson had a front-row seat in eliminating the Sabres in Buffalo in OT in Game 5.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I wonder if they're still married, lol.

I actually remember watching that as as kid and knowing it was 100% going to happen.

That Jonathan Frakes video is one of my favorite videos on youtube. Any compilation involving Jonathan Frakes, really lol.

Reactions: NyQuil

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
1995-96: Shane Doan debuts for the Jets, franchise moves after the season
2023-24: Josh Doan debuts for the Coyotes, franchise moves after the season

So in 2052 Josh Doans kid will be playing for Utah and they will relocate after the season.

Start the thread in the BOH forum now :sarcasm:

Okay this isn't NHL but my personal life, I have 3 biological children.

Between child 1 and child 2 exactly 982 days
Between child 2 and child 3 exactly 982 days.

All 3 are natural births and not planned C sections

That is wild.

Another family one. I have one younger brother. His birthday is same as Michael Jordan. My birthday is same as Kobe Bryant

My aunt and uncle are born on the exact same day, 10 years apart.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Was that a home game for the Oilers? if so... not putting on tinfoil hat here and Gretzky is the ultimate competitor but you know....
It was, and I was lucky enough to be in the building that night. It was pretty cool, when he broke the record the place went nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Can’t remember what they did with the uniforms, but IIRC, announcers called the original Adams, “Gus Adams” (his nickname) and the second one “Greg C. Adams”
The Cowboys used to have both Roy Williamses. The safety’s jersey just said “R. Williams” and the WR’s Jersey said “Roy E. Williams”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad