Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Revenge for how well Kostin played for us and how Samourkov played for the blues
Idk, assuming that both Holloway and Broberg come over, I think their production would heavily out way whatever Kostin did for you. He had a lot of help internally to develop some offense on the Oilers while with the Blues, he was forced to play a game that wasn't suiting his play style. Backes-lite-lite style of play. I was happy for him when he started to produce, but to attempt to sign Broberg and Holloway (whether or not they're worth the money) seems pretty wild.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Kinda best of both worlds for them. Secure a market drive price point for themselves with still enough wiggle room for the Oilers to prospective match. The Broberg deal is a no brainer for the player. I'm struggling a bit more to see Holloway's upside though for us in the cheap seats it's still life altering money.

Livelihood over loyalty is career advise for all of us.
Not necessarily, in many fields and industries there’s always someone willing to pay you more money. There’s usually a price to be paid for that, toxic environment, riskier financial situation etc. These two just chose more money but exchanged it for being on a team with a realisitic shot at a cup. So they gave up something of value. It’s a choice they made, but make no mistake they did give something up here.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
my guess is they match Broberg. Guys like Holloway can be found, especially if he is a 3rd liner this summer. My opinion of Borberg is much higher than most on this thread. 4.5M for him this year is probably a fair number for what he is expected to bring
Can you really have 4.5M tied up in expectations/potential when Draisaitl and Bouchard need big raises? I like Broberg and Holloway but mostly because they were supposed to be cheap players filling spots so the Oilers can keep their core together, since that ship has sailed, I’m okay with moving on from both.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Idk, assuming that both Holloway and Broberg come over, I think their production would heavily out way whatever Kostin did for you. He had a lot of help internally to develop some offense on the Oilers while with the Blues, he was forced to play a game that wasn't suiting his play style. Backes-lite-lite style of play. I was happy for him when he started to produce, but to attempt to sign Broberg and Holloway (whether or not they're worth the money) seems pretty wild.
It was a joke comment.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree with this.

Door 1 - sign for 1X$1M in a familiar place, have a great first full season, play in the playoffs (high exposure), potentially win a Cup, potentially play with one of Connor/Leon (and the points that come with it), put yourself in a position to hold a gun to your team's head with arbitration rights on your extension.

Door 2 - go to a mediocre team playing an uncertain role, have a lower profile, potentially play too high in the lineup too soon, underperform the contract. Then when the deal expires the QO would be too high making him a UFA where he's signing the 1X$1M deal that lots of unqualified UFAs get.

It could all work out in St. Louis if he ends up going there, but the path here is fairly linear if he brings the same attitude into the next season. I just see more risk there. In Edmonton I would give him strong odds of scoring 20+, playing well in the playoffs, then demanding big $ in the off season. I don't see the same in St. Louis.
Alternatively:

Door 1 - sign 1x$1M, get buried in the depth chart on a Stanley cup contender. End up in and out of the lineup throughout the season and finish the year with fewer than 10 goals and 20 points and no case for a strong arbitration award.

Door 2 - sign 2x$2M on a new team with a young forward core and grab an opportunity in the top 9 right off the bat. Put yourself in a position to establish yourself as a legitimate NHLer for the rest of your career while taking home more than twice the money you would have with door 1.

It can work either way.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Exactly. Broberg signed the deal that makes the Oilers walk away.

It's just business, nothing more.

It doesn't take away from the fact that this deal is paying for the "expectation" of a player who has yet to show a lot in terms of consistent top 4 defenseman performance.
No chance they walk away from Broberg, who is already better than Nurse and Ekholms eventual replacement.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
What was the damn hold up in getting these guys signed? I'm trying to give this management group the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard not to view this as another instance where the Oilers are smarter than everyone else. They were ripe for this to happen.

The hold up was the players waiting until the last minute to see if they'd get a better offer than whatever the Oilers tabled.

Doesn't seem that hard to figure out.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Alternatively:

Door 1 - sign 1x$1M, get buried in the depth chart on a Stanley cup contender. End up in and out of the lineup throughout the season and finish the year with fewer than 10 goals and 20 points and no case for a strong arbitration award.

Door 2 - sign 2x$2M on a new team with a young forward core and grab an opportunity in the top 9 right off the bat. Put yourself in a position to establish yourself as a legitimate NHLer for the rest of your career while taking home more than twice the money you would have with door 1.

It can work either way.

Your version of Door 1 was last year. Short of massive, massive underperformance he's starting in the Top 9 here.

If he's worried about not playing in the Top 9 here then he's not the guy anyways. Unless he's worried that Janmark is going to push him off the roster.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What was the damn hold up in getting these guys signed? I'm trying to give this management group the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard not to view this as another instance where the Oilers are smarter than everyone else. They were ripe for this to happen.
Blues were contact with their agents at the start of the off season the players were waiting for an offer sheet, if one came great, if one didnt you sign near training camp. According to media guys Oilers offered contract early in the offseason after UFA madness. It’s business. Oilers most likely saw this coming. Blaming management for this is silly. What incentive do RFAs have to sign early when they’ve been told an offersheet might be coming. They gain nothing by signing July 1st or August 13th or even in September.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
The funny thing is I doubt they don't even really want Holloway that much, he is just a tool to help secure Broberg.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not necessarily, in many fields and industries there’s always someone willing to pay you more money. There’s usually a price to be paid for that, toxic environment, riskier financial situation etc. These two just chose more money but exchanged it for being on a team with a realisitic shot at a cup. So they gave up something of value. It’s a choice they made, but make no mistake they did give something up here.
Of course they gave up something here. They just contributed to a game 7 run to a Cup Final and a team with a strong summer to try to get back. What they did was prioritize their own financial security with a bit of a hedge in the signing amount and consideration of their youth and latent potential that Edmonton might still match and retain.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The funny thing is I doubt they don't even really want Holloway that much, he is just a tool to help secure Broberg.
It was a crafty move. Not sure it will be worth it or not for them, but it was creative. Something we don't see often out of GMs in this league.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Of course they gave up something here. They just contributed to a game 7 run to a Cup Final and a team with a strong summer to try to get back. What they did was prioritize their own financial security with a bit of a hedge in the signing amount and consideration of their youth and latent potential that Edmonton might still match and retain.
Yeah, I’d chase the money too, there’s no guarantee these guys are in the NHL after 2 years. However they are guaranteed millions in their bank account after 2 years. Pretty easy choice IMO

Reactions: AM

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would only match Broberg. Holloway is the guy you sign when he doesn't get a qualifying offer from St. Louis in a 2 years. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Your version of Door 1 was last year. Short of massive, massive underperformance he's starting in the Top 9 here.

If he's worried about not playing in the Top 9 here then he's not the guy anyways. Unless he's worried that Janmark is going to push him off the roster.
It could easily be this year too. Holloway loses top six spots to Arvidsson and Skinner. Continues to receive nearly zero playing time. Doesn't click with Henrique and Brown, and oops you're playing ten minutes on the fourth line with no one. Even worse, the team just traded for a high end offensive prospect that is going to eat your lunch once Skinner moves on next season.

I get why a player like Holloway could bet on himself. But he has ZERO path to powerplay time here, and he's just barely hanging on to a roster spot. If the team is offering 1 million for one year, he'd be insane to turn down nearly 5 over two somewhere else.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am guessing Jackson has known for a bit that this was a possibility.

Will be interesting what Jackson and Bowman cook up.

I really hope they have been exhausting all avenues to fill the gaps.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It could easily be this year too. Holloway loses top six spots to Arvidsson and Skinner. Continues to receive nearly zero playing time. Doesn't click with Henrique and Brown, and oops you're playing ten minutes on the fourth line with no one. Even worse, the team just traded for a high end offensive prospect that is going to eat your lunch once Skinner moves on next season.

I get why a player like Holloway could bet on himself. But he has ZERO path to powerplay time here, and he's just barely hanging on to a roster spot. If the team is offering 1 million for one year, he'd be insane to turn down nearly 5 over two somewhere else.
Guess what? He's only 10 minutes in St. Louis. I don't think you guys took the time to look at their lineup.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Pretty clear now that the player's agents advised them to wait and knew that what transpired today had a decent chance of happening. Every single person on this board would be freaking out if we had signed them to those two contracts, or anything even close to what they signed for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad