Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
honestly I think i just let them both walk

Stecher can be a stop gap on RHD while we look during the season for a replacement and we have enough forward depth that losing Holloway wont hurt too bad

If they can find a way to keep Holloway then sure but bye bye Broberg

I don't really see how Holloway at slightly more than we'd prefer to pay isn't a better option than taking a third. It's not ideal but the team can afford to absorb this one.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Based on postseason performances, I think it's really easy to think Broberg at 4m is a better bet than Ceci at 3.25m.

Ceci is no doubt seen as a safer option to the org, but I don't think it's unreasonable to bet on Broberg outperforming Ceci right from the start of training camp this coming season given the point that they're both at in their careers.

I see what you are saying here, and might actually agree on the performance part in fact. However, just pointing out that its 4.6 not 4, and with our cap situation, that 600K matters.

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I believe Jarventie would be stepping in before Savoie so yeah Holloway is replaceable. Broberg not really

Reactions: McDoused

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Holloway is easier to replace, but you can’t pay Broberg that much for 2 years. Unfortunately you have to let them both walk.

I have no hard feelings towards these guys for signing. Bowman has had ample time to sign them.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
They don’t have to put Kane on LTIR till Oct 8 so they can call up players to max out LTIR.

Meanwhile Ceci needs to list his house.
I’m still learning and trying to wrap my head around how LTIR works so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but are you implying that they can call up players prior to when we have to be compliant, in order to be as close to kanes entire cap hit over the salary cap before LTIRing him to increase the LTIR pool?

I knew teams made moves to get as close to the cap as possible prior to utilizing LTIR to maximize the pool, but I didn’t realize you could also strategically be over by the same amount as the cap hit of the guy you’re putting on LTIR in order to maximize the available LTIR pool as well.

It sounds like the cap situation is going to be tight, but even if we match the offer sheets, a ceci cap dump would be all that’s needed to ice this roster for next season.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If we let both go to the Blues we'll have zero 1st round picks under Holland in the organization.
Broberg-2nd
Holloway-3rd
XB-Jarventie
Schaffer+23 1st-Ekholm
24 1st-Henrique

I see Holloway as another Foegele and replaceable but Broberg is a huge x factor. He could become a top pairing D or bust and be a dime a dozen bottom pairing player.

Losing Holloway could also open up a spot for Savoie who projects to be a better player.
Interesting indeed. This is a very unique situation. Is it an NHL first?

Better question, was Holland just faking it at the drafts? We'll see how these players progress throughout their professional careers. That is if the Holloway and Broberg offer sheets aren't matched.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holloway is easier to replace, but you can’t pay Broberg that much for 2 years. Unfortunately you have to let them both walk.

I have no hard feelings towards these guys for signing. Bowman has had ample time to sign them.
If you pay Broberg now maybe he takes less in his next deal like Kotkaniemi if we ignore how shitty he is.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Do I really need to go back just 2 years to find all the posts of the same underestimating of Bouchard and suggesting trading Bouchard?
Do you really think every player that is under rated will turn out to be a Bouchard?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t think anyone in that room is thinking “good job for taking the bag young men” more likely they’d rather not have these young, inconsistent players back at inflated salaries.

It’s not just about taking the money it’s about being a party to a predatory situation that was designed and timed to maximize the pain for the Oilers and limit their options. These deals could have been signed 6 weeks ago when the Oilers would have had more options for replacing the loss of these players.

If either of them ends up getting matched they just put an insane amount of acute pressure on themselves. Gonna be tough walking in that room and looking your teammates in the eye knowing it’s probably affected their view of you. Second, if you don’t live up to that contract fans and media are going to be all too eager to stomp a mud hole in your ass and walk it dry. Could be a very hard two years for either of them here if they don’t bring the game to match the contract.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
With Stauffer and Rishaug now confirming Kane is likely going on LTIR, we can probably afford one but not both.

Walking away on Holloway seems like a no brainer to me. I've never seen the long term upside in the player- I think he's a bottom 6 forward in his prime, and this year he's likely a 4th liner with limited special teams time. In no world can I justify paying him 2.3 when Brown and Janmark make less than 1.5. It sucks to lose him for a third, but I think you can find a comparable or even better player in the $1-1.5 million range, either now or at the deadline.

Broberg is a lot tougher for me. If he can continue to play in the top 4, $4.5 for two years is a bargain. Top 4D are at a premium, particularly if they can play the right side. He's also got a much higher upside, and plays at inarguably our biggest position of need in both the short and long term. In the short term, if we walk away from him we have Ceci and Brown as our second and third d for the season, which is a disaster. We can hope for an upgrade at the deadline, but I hoped for the same last year and it didn't happen. I'm much more nervous about losing him than I am Holloway. Having said that, the risk is obviously higher as well. If he drops the ball in camp the way he has the last few years, that's an anchor that really hurts your chances.

If it's me, I probably match Broberg and walk away on Holloway.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I see what you are saying here, and might actually agree on the performance part in fact. However, just pointing out that it’s 4.6 not 4, and with our cap situation, that 600K matters.
I completely agree. The difference in 3.25m to ceci next year, and 4.6m to Broberg over the next 2 years is going to be significantly more impactful to us as a team than it would be to teams not in our position, which is why I feel like regardless of whether or not they match, I can see the justification for going either way.

Personally I’d bet on Broberg, but I can fully understand and appreciate why a year of comparatively “safe” Ceci and 3.25m of free cap space going into next offseason could be seen as objectively more valuable to the team, especially when Broberg has done very little to show he’s anything close to what we hoped when he was drafted.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
No brainer to match both, you can move them later if need be.

Trade Ceci and Kulak, problem solved.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I would let Holloway go. Third liner. Broberg was one of our better D in the CF and SCF. I would take the risk and keep him. They will need to move out Ceci+ a pick to make it work unless Kane goes on looooong term IR.

Reactions: Oilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad