HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Savard would only get traded if we’re way out of the playoffs race. If we’re still in the race come the TDL he ain’t going nowhere.

Same with Matheson next year.

But even if we’re still out of the playoffs race I feel like HuGo might keep Savard.

Matheson will be easier to trade with Guhle/Hutson/X/Struble/Engstrom.

But Savard gone, we only have Reinbacher/Mailloux/Barron. What if one gets injured? Back to putting Guhle on his off-side?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
All depends on the progress of our young RD. Right now everyone thinks Mailloux/Reinbacher will progress and look great, but that doesn't always happen, bad years can happen for a variety of reasons. If by TDL all signs point to the young RD needing more AHL time then why wouldn't we want to re-sign Savard on a short term deal?
Even if those two eventually progress I still keep Savard around. They can easily reduce his minutes and eventually will be in and out of the lineup as #6-7. Coach likes him, gm likes him, players like him.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This mentoring stuff, aura stuff has to be put to bed.

It isn't like posters are just making up this "mentoring stuff", a lot of younger D praised Savard for helping them and even MSL praised what he does for the young guys.

If a Hart winning 28 year old in MSL was able to learn from a mentor, I am sure these first and second year D could learn a lot from Savard.

1726001318351.png

Even after playing with Corey Perry for only one year, guys like Suzuki/Caufield were still praising him a year later for the help he provided them.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It isn't like posters are just making up this "mentoring stuff", a lot of younger D praised Savard for helping them and even MSL praised what he does for the young guys.

If a Hart winning 28 year old in MSL was able to learn from a mentor, I am sure these first and second year D could learn a lot from Savard.

View attachment 906318

Even after playing with Corey Perry for only one year, guys like Suzuki/Caufield were still praising him a year later for the help he provided them.
They’re useful if they can contribute on the ice. They’re not useful if they take up a spot or play a marginal role. Their mentorship is not more valuable than their performance on the ice.

See Gallagher.

• Love
Reactions: the

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

View attachment 906318

Well said. And Savard can still contribute plenty for now. We should never be in a rush to get rid of these types of players.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
They’re useful if they can contribute on the ice. They’re not useful if they take up a spot or play a marginal role. Their mentorship is not more valuable than their performance on the ice.

See Gallagher.

Gallagher was fine with reduced minutes and less PP time given he wasn't holding anyone back and he was able to contribute a bit offensively.

A perfect example of a veteran's mentorship skills being completely outweighed by their on-ice performance would have been Karl Alzner who was seen as a good guy and teammate, but was disgustingly bad on the ice.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

View attachment 906318

How many years do they need to play with Savard? 20 years? At the deadline he will have been here for two years and a half. By the time Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux are ready to compete Savard will be in a retirement home talking about the good old day. If we still need a vet we should sign or trade for someone younger next summer.

BTW the comparison to Perry and Andreychuk is ridiculous. Andreychuk is a legend and Perry was a pretty dominant player. You can still see how skilled Perry is when he plays he's just too old to keep the pace. I like Savard but he was a solid albeit not exceptional middle pairing dman in his prime. He was not a top pairing guy or anything like that. He wont be able to keep it together until he is 40 like Andreychuk and Perry. He will hit a wall soon and it wont be pretty at all.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Savard will be 35 in 2025-2026. I'm honestly surprised some of our fans would resign him. Hope KH realise that signing a 35 years old dman who has never best fast would be a bad idea.
There is nothing wrong with it as long as it a 1 year deal. If Habs are out of playoff contention HuGo will probably trade him and tell him they will re sign him. Since he wants to finish his career with the Habs HuGo will likely be willing to sign him but not guarantee he will be a regular.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
You wouldn't take Savard back on something like 1-1.5 mil AAV for a season or two?
I won't if he start taking minute from a young player like Mailloux-Struble-Barron or any young player. Savard has been good vet for us. He will be 35 in 2025-26 season.

You also have to ask yourself. Does Savard want to stay and be a #6-7 D with us? Is it not better for him to sign with a club with less good defenseman?

I can see a tanking team like San Jose or Chicago signing him for 2 years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Savard will be 35 in 2025-2026. I'm honestly surprised some of our fans would resign him. Hope KH realise that signing a 35 years old dman who has never best fast would be a bad idea.
I'd much rather sign Savard to a 1 year 1.5 million extension than a #6 dman who will want more money and term. It's not like he sucked, he was one of our better dmen last year and is more than fine for a bottom pairing role unless something changes drastically this season.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I won't if he start taking minute from a young player like Mailloux-Struble-Barron or any young player. Savard has been good vet for us. He will be 35 in 2025-26 season.

You also have to ask yourself. Does Savard want to stay and be a #6-7 D with us? Is it not better for him to sign with a club with less good defenseman?

I can see a tanking team like San Jose or Chicago signing him for 2 years.
Pretty sure that's exactly what he's looking for down the road considering he wants to retire here.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Does Savard want to stay and be a #6-7 D with us? Is it not better for him to sign with a club with less good defenseman?
Savard is already played higher than he should on the Habs, 3rd pair dmen should be where he plays.

Until the RHD prospects actually overplay him for a long stretch of games, he should stay (whatever that is trading him and re-signing him on July 1st or extending him). Dreaming that Mailloux/Reinbacher turned into 20 minutes dmen who can eat the hardest minutes in the NHL in the off-season isn't going to make it happen.

Reactions: Vachon23

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He looked really good after returning from injury last season and has been unfairly ripped by fans for his whole tenure here.
Yeah.
He's so good you don't even notice he's playing most nights.
Through all our injuries these last couple of seasons there wasn't one poster who said "man If only Dvorak was healthy"
I'll stick with what Damphousse and Carbonneau have to say about our center depth thank you very much.
Do they count as rippers?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Savard is already played higher than he should on the Habs, 3rd pair dmen should be where he plays.

Until the RHD prospects actually overplay him for a long stretch of games, he should stay (whatever that is trading him and re-signing him on July 1st or extending him). Dreaming that Mailloux/Reinbacher turned into 20 minutes dmen who can eat the hardest minutes in the NHL in the off-season isn't going to make it happen.
And you believe a 35 years old Savard will be able to play 20 mins in 2025? Nemec played around 19-20 mins at age of 20. What make you so sure that Reinbacher at the age of 21 won't be able to play 19mins + with us?
Simple question. What is your defenseman line up in 2025-2026? Let say we sign Savard with us.

Matheson-Ghule
Hutson-Reinbacher
Arber-Savard

Do you keep Mailloux-struble and Baron as #7, 8 and 9 with the Habs?

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Gallagher was fine with reduced minutes and less PP time given he wasn't holding anyone back and he was able to contribute a bit offensively.
Gallagher is borderline useless and it has nothing to do with his leadership intangibles. This is the point. The moment he turns negative or there is an adequate opportunity to replace his contract he is gone.
A perfect example of a veteran's mentorship skills being completely outweighed by their on-ice performance would have been Karl Alzner who was seen as a good guy and teammate, but was disgustingly bad on the ice.
There are many examples. The fact is the 20man roster iced every night needs to be pulling its weight. It needn’t be a controversial concept.

Savard will be replaced sooner than later and it has nothing to do with his leadership qualities.

Which Savard has done
For one of the worst teams in the NHL? Sure. When the time comes to upgrade the D he is going out. That’s what I’m saying.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
And you believe a 35 years old Savard will be able to play 20 mins in 2025? Nemec played around 19-20 mins at age of 20. What make you so sure that Reinbacher at the age of 21 won't be able to play 19mins + with us?
Simple question. What is your defenseman line up in 2025-2026? Let say we sign Savard with us.

Matheson-Ghule
Hutson-Reinbacher
Arber-Savard

Do you keep Mailloux-struble and Baron as #7, 8 and 9 with the Habs?
Nemec also had games with only 14 minutes last season. Rookies are not stable Ds, they have rollercoaster seasons and it can take 2-3 years before they stabilize.

I expect the 2025-2026 defensemen line-up to be similar to this season, unless two rookies shows they can outplay Savard for most of it, or Hughes sell the bank for a top 4 RHD. Also, I'm personally hoping Matheson gets traded, should have been moved this off-season in my point view, Guhle is this team #1 LHD and Xhekaj/Struble are fine as the other two LHDs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
For one of the worst teams in the NHL? Sure. When the time comes to upgrade the D he is going out. That’s what I’m saying.
We had 3 regular NHL dmen last year and Savard was one of them. You mentioning Gallagher as your argument makes it seem like you’re saying Savard sucks just like Gallagher which is just untrue. Gallagher was a genuine liability with the team worst +/- at only 13 minutes a night. Savard was one of our most used dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad