GDT: Blues @ Avalanche|Round 1, Game 2| Blues down 1-0|

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah somebody is getting f***ed up next game, possibly multiple somebodies. And honestly it's a shame, you hate to see bad hits and dirty plays taint a series win or lose.
way i see it is if the refs want to make up BS calls on you, why not get your moneys worth? If i am gonna get a penalty, i am damn well gonna make sure its worthy of the crime.

Reactions: JEMarks3

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Defensively in our own zone, I think Santini is better defensively than Krug. He can't put up the offensive numbers, but he is more reliable defensively in our own zone than Krug!!!

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Who runs Makar or MacKinnon?

Clifford/Blais/Joshua/Kostin?
Mackinnon def gonna have to keep his head up if officiating allows things to escalate. Think their goalie may get some people falling on him like Kadri did to Binny too.

Reactions: JEMarks3

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I was saying our defense already sucked TONIGHT with those guys healthy and now they are not. Not sure why you need to get into arguing semantics. Yeah, in a parallel universe where Parayko and Dunn are healthy and clicking, they wouldn't suck. We really accomplished a lot here.

When you said "our defense, which already sucked" doesn't really make that clear. Like I said, a lot of people were already saying that our defense wasn't good to begin with and what you said sounded more of the same.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Are you saying that teams don't assign defensemen to particular lines? Because it does.
You're familiar with the concept of last change, right?

When the other team dictates the matchup at the faceoff, you can try to do a hot change to match on the fly after the faceoff if the circumstances allow...which they often don't (other team wins the faceoff, etc.). This is why teams will often do zone matching instead of hard line matching instead, especially on the road.

Regardless, matchups are never 100% even when a team always tries to hard match lines. They just aren't.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
When you said "our defense, which already sucked" doesn't really make that clear. Like I said, a lot of people were already saying that our defense wasn't good to begin with and what you said sounded more of the same.

Bud, I've expounded twice already. Do we need a 3rd time? It really seems like you're just looking for an argument. I don't blame people for being in a sour mood after a game like that, but I don't know what to tell you.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
There were times when the Blues were engaged and played with a lot of effort. The problem is that we still can't play 60 minutes of Blues hockey and enforce our style of play on other teams anymore.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Again it wasn't a 60 minute effort tonight, the Blues got some life in the 2nd on a few good shifts surrounding the Blais goal.

The 3rd period they played really well, even taking out the 5 minutes of powerplay time.

I said though to my friend watching the game with me, the major powerplay was a must score and they needed to tie the game on it or the Avs would win. That is where we really missed Perron tonight, the powerplay wasn't nearly as dangerous as it could have been.

MacKinnon once again, spectacular and that 4th goal was a great shot. Unfortunately it proved to be a backbreaker as well.

Same as last time, I walk away thinking the Avs are a great and talented team and it is no surprise they are in 1st place. But the times the Blues worked hard they showed they can be effective and competitive in this series, they just didn't do it enough. Moving back home they get the benefit of last change now to get desired matchups, down 2-0 in the series is a tough climb on it's own, but I'd be surprised if Faulk is back, maybe you get Bortuzzo. Hopefully Dunn can return. So you're starting to add more key guys to the injury and covid lists as the series goes on.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm confused. Do you think this is a championship caliber defense if 100% healthy? Or what is our working definition of "good" here?

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that it's not a championship caliber defense. The health issues are definitely exacerbating that, but I don't think they're causing it. This defense doesn't have the top end talent the championship team did, and it's a lot more exploitable.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
Again it wasn't a 60 minute effort tonight, the Blues got some life in the 2nd on a few good shifts surrounding the Blais goal.

The 3rd period they played really well, even taking out the 5 minutes of powerplay time.

I said though to my friend watching the game with me, the major powerplay was a must score and they needed to tie the game on it or the Avs would win. That is where we really missed Perron tonight, the powerplay wasn't nearly as dangerous as it could have been.

MacKinnon once again, spectacular and that 4th goal was a great shot. Unfortunately it proved to be a backbreaker as well.

Same as last time, I walk away thinking the Avs are a great and talented team and it is no surprise they in 1st place. But the times the Blues worked hard they showed they can be effective and competitive in this series, they just didn't do it enough. Moving back home they get the benefit of last change now to get desired matchups, down 2-0 in the series is a tough climb on it's own, but I'd be surprised if Faulk is back, maybe you get Bortuzzo. Hopefully Dunn can return. So you're starting to add more key guys to the injury and covid lists as the series goes on.
just imagine if he had a positive covid test . and had to stay in protocol for the series

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
just imagine if he got covid .. and had to stay in protocol for the series
I can't say I'd be upset... but at the same time I don't wish for that to happen. I'd rather not have covid become a big factor in determining any series in these playoffs, unfortunately it has already reared it's ugly head in this one with Perron and Walman out and for Washington Samsonov and Kuznetsov in the Caps series as well, even though they made their returns tonight, they still had to go two games without them.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Our defense just isn't fast enough to keep up with the Avalanche. I find it interesting that more than one poster has called out Bortuzzo for this, when in fact he isn't even our slowest defenseman. Bortuzzo's problem is that he often makes poor decisions under pressure. That has more to do with hockey sense than it does with his skating, but with the limited minutes he gets, he is really the least of our problems. A much bigger problem is that Faulk, Scandella, and especially Krug, are also not fast enough to deal with the Avs. They can't deal with their fast forecheck, and we can't get out of our zone. I am hoping that Dunn and Walman return soon because they are our fastest defenders, I am not hopeful, though.

Last edited:

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
I can't say I'd be upset... but at the same time I don't wish for that to happen. I'd rather not have covid become a big factor in determining any series in these playoffs, unfortunately it has already reared it's ugly head in this one with Perron and Walman out and for Washington Samsonov and Kuznetsov in the Caps series as well, even though they made their returns tonight, they still had to go two games without them.

i dont either .....im just saying its f***ing whack

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Because, if Faulk and Krug were really 1st pairing defensemen, they would have been able to handle taking on Parayko's minutes. Instead, they got exposed. Krug in particular.
Faulk has been capable of handling Parayko’s minutes, but only when not paired with Krug.

Our defense just isn't fast enough to keep up with the Avalanche. I find it interesting that more than one poster has called out Bortuzzo for this, when in fact he isn't even our slowest defenseman. Bortuzzo's problem is that he often makes poor decisions under pressure. That has more to do with hockey sense than it does with his skating, but with the limited minutes he gets, he is really the least of our problems. A much bigger problem is that Faulk, Scandella, and especially Krug, are also not fast enough to deal with the Avs. They can't deal with their fast forecheck, and we can't get out of our zone. I am hoping that Dunn and Walman return soon because they are our fasted defenders, I am not hopeful, though.
I don’t think our lack of speed would be as noticeable if we maintained our structure more. But when it breaks down, we don’t have the speed to skate out of a jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad