GDT: Blues @ Avalanche|Round 1, Game 2| Blues down 1-0|

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
just dont lay down
yup it about grinding em down for the series. i expect chief to take care of the officiating tonight in the post game presser so hopefully that shit is knocked out for the rest of the series and we can get dp57 back.

just cant roll over and do nothin with the next 20 mins

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
I mean, to some extent it can...especially when that defenseman is playing almost half the game. The forwards aren't exactly on the top of their game right now, especially relative to the Cup year, but they're receiving a fraction of the support they received from the blue line that year and it's a lot harder for them to have that sort of impact without that support. Let's look at some of the ways they're fighting an uphill battle.

1) Better defense leads to less time in the defensive zone. That means more less opportunity for your forwards to be exposed defensively, and less energy wasted defending.

2) Better defense leads to better transition play. Again, fewer turnovers means less defensive responsibility and energy wasted. On top of that, entering the offensive zone with speed, and even more importantly control, is a huge facilitator for offensive play. Springing odd-man breaks is an added bonus.

3) A better defender can lead to more opportunities in the offensive zone, whether that comes from rebounds on good, hard, accurate point shots, or good shots off seam passes, or breaking down the defense at the line with some fancy skating/stickhandling, or presenting weak-side attack options, etc. More threats/options in the offensive zone makes it easier for the forwards to create offense.

I'm not saying that adding Pietrangelo would magically turn this series around. There's way too many other problems and complicating factors to make a statement like that. But one really talented 3 zone defenseman can cover a lot of warts and make it a whole lot easier for his teammates to get their jobs done, and in that regard, this team is being affected by Pietrangelo's absence right now. I'm not offering that as an excuse, or to start a tangent discussion about this past offseason. IMO, it's just a fact, and one that should be recognized...not so we can second guess the past, but so we can recognize what issues we face and that must be addressed as we move forward.
A lot of people are also sleeping on the impact Dunn could have on this series.

Now imagine having both him and Petro.

Even in 2019, the Blues got Dunn back during the Boston series and that was the extra boost they needed to get over the hump. His ability to prevent zone exits and create clean entries through strong transition defence (and subsequent offense) made such a difference even in his limited minutes. They had him on the ice whenever 27 and 55 weren't.

Going forward, the Blues need to give him an opportunity to actually play more significant minutes and see what he does. It's pretty clear Krug can't handle that role and Krug is just not as useful player at 5 on 5 play in any capacity compared to Dunn, even offensively, where he's surprisingly just not what I was hoping.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
A lot of people are also sleeping on the impact Dunn could have on this series.

Now imagine having both him and Petro.

Even in 2019, the Blues got Dunn back during the Boston series and that was the extra boost they needed to get over the hump. His ability to prevent zone exits and create clean entries through strong transition defence (and subsequent offense) made such a difference even in his limited minutes. They had him on the ice whenever 27 and 55 weren't.

Going forward, the Blues need to give him an opportunity to actually play more significant minutes and see what he does. It's pretty clear Krug can't handle that role and Krug is just not as useful player at 5 on 5 play in any capacity compared to Dunn, even offensively, where he's surprisingly just not what I was hoping.
dunn is huge .. people discount him every game

Reactions: Prosaic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad