Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We would be stupid to attach a high draft pick or prospect to Krug.

A bad contract is likely the only option that might not hurt us.

Or just keep him for 2 more years, or buy him out after this year. I wonder what option makes the most sense?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'd be pretty surprised if Krug waived his NTC for Columbus.

However, I don't think that it is the least likely of destinations and I think there is a decent chance that Columbus won't be on his 15 team no trade list next summer. Other than Detroit, Columbus is the closest NHL city to his home town and Ohio has a lower tax rate than most of the league (the exceptions are the no-tax states and Pens/Flyers). As it stands right now, he'd be the #2 LHD on their depth chart for 2025/26 (that could change if they extend Provorov). Barring the perpetual on-ice mediocrity, Columbus is a decent spot for him to end up in 2025 when he has to leave about half the league available.

But I think that he'd much rather delay going there a year than waiving for them right now unless things get really contentious here. Any Laine trade we made would get heavily scrutinized by the league and PA if we waived Krug and Columbus claimed him.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
We’re stuck with Krug for one more year. Next yr significantly more plausible we could dump him after 7/1 when the Blued are forced to pay his penultimate signing bonus (meaning acquiring team would only have to pay his bonus for one yr) and his NTC is modified.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
We’re stuck with Krug for one more year. Next yr significantly more plausible we could dump him after 7/1 when the Blued are forced to pay his penultimate signing bonus (meaning acquiring team would only have to pay his bonus for one yr) and his NTC is modified.
His contract has no bonuses

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Someone on the CBJ board hopes Laine gets traded to St Louis because they want Dvorsky! I hate to have to tell them that Krug would be all we would offer and he probably wouldn’t waive to go there.
Don’t rob them of their pipe dream.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I stand corrected if that isn’t accurate though I swear the contract was heavily bonus laden. Then again, getting corrected by more informed posters is my life’s work.
FWIW, Krug's salary sits at $8.5mil this season, then drops to $6.5mil and $6mil for the final two seasons.

Someone on the CBJ board hopes Laine gets traded to St Louis because they want Dvorsky! I hate to have to tell them that Krug would be all we would offer and he probably wouldn’t waive to go there.
That's quite brutal, though it seems the guy is Slovakian, so it makes sense he has that particular dream.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Don’t rob them of their pipe dream.
CBJ is my 2nd team. My sister live there so I try to get to some games when I visit her. They should have an exciting team in a year or so. They need a stud goalie. They are loaded with good prospects everywhere else. I feel for their fans. Elvis and Laine want to be traded so there may be some activity with them before the season starts.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Location wise, Columbus the closest he can get to playing at home other than the Red Wings. If they were closer to being a cup contender, I'd say he might actually waive for them, but with how they are currently I agree he wouldn't likely go there, unless he really valued being closer to home above all else.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
FWIW, Krug's salary sits at $8.5mil this season, then drops to $6.5mil and $6mil for the final two seasons.
Ya…thanks. The $8.5 is exactly the figure I thought were in the form of signing bonuses. I should’ve looked it up.

It’s an awful contract no doubt. I could see him getting waived next yr if the cap continues to rise and Stillman and Co. are resigned to eat the rest of the deal for two years. Like others, I don’t want to attach premium picks to get rid of him. It’s a sunk cost and I believe the cap savings are minimal if he’s waived.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Have always wondered which 1st round pick in the 2023 draft was going to go to Philly in that Krug/Sanheim Deal.

Pagotta was on 101.1 right after that trade fell apart and he said the trade was:

Hayes 50%
Sanheim

Krug
2023 1st

If that had been the 25th or 29th pick, that would have been a heck of a deal.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Have always wondered which 1st round pick in the 2023 draft was going to go to Philly in that Krug/Sanheim Deal.

Pagotta was on 101.1 right after that trade fell apart and he said the trade was:

Hayes 50%
Sanheim

Krug
2023 1st

If that had been the 25th or 29th pick, that would have been a heck of a deal.
I’d rather have Lindstein than Sanheim

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Valid point, so the question is, would you rather have Stenberg and Krug or Sanheim?
I think I could go either way on that one. I’m happy with how it turned out though. Hopefully we can find that piece to solidify our top 4 in the next couple years.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Valid point, so the question is, would you rather have Stenberg and Krug or Sanheim?
I’d rather have Lindstein and Krug.

Then again, it’s not my money paying for Krug.

I like Sanheim but that contract is a potential issue and there’s a reason Briere was trying to get rid of it before his NTC kicked in. He rebounded last season but it’s still a pretty risky contract.

So in the end, I prefer Lindstein as an asset. He has his whole career in front of him, the first number of years that should be quite cheap. That has a lot of value.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I’d rather have Lindstein and Krug.

Then again, it’s not my money paying for Krug.

I like Sanheim but that contract is a potential issue and there’s a reason Briere was trying to get rid of it before his NTC kicked in. He rebounded last season but it’s still a pretty risky contract.

So in the end, I prefer Lindstein as an asset. He has his whole career in front of him, the first number of years that should be quite cheap. That has a lot of value.
I dont disagree with this at all.
I like Sanheim as well, but that contract could be rough.
Krug's NTC goes to a MTC next July 1st, so there could be a way to get out of it. Here's hoping he has a solid season this year.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad