Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Saad is someone I could see moved, either a current contender or a younger team looking to push up and needing a vet like him.

While I'm a big fan of Leddy, I'd be on board moving him at the draft too. Will still get solid value, and is he in our long-term plans?

Although with his style, he could age pretty well.
I’ve posted about this before, but either Saad or Leddy with some retention and multiple playoff runs of term would have quite a bit value to any team hoping to contend in the short term. They tend to get overlooked when we talk about moving players, and I doubt the time is now…but both could return significant positive value if/when they are moved.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Congrats on making bullet points about the most obvious statements. None of that stuff is anything that everyone didn’t already know.
Legitimately curious why you can't just scroll past a Blueston post without replying shit like this. They should start giving you an infraction the second you hit reply to any of his posts cause you can't help but be an ass EVERY SINGLE TIME.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
The Rangers just put Barclay Goodrow on waivers. Any interest in a claim?

The cap hit is a bit high at 3.6, but in my post late last night I mentioned us bringing in a guy who can play in the bottom 6.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm so curious about what Utah actually wants to do this summer. Bill Armstrong was on Marek's radio show downplaying/managing expectations for 2024/25 and talking about not wanting to take on long-term acquisitions that hinder the ability to extend the developing young talent when they earn it. But then we also have reports that the #6 is available and you know that owner would love to have a good, fun team in year 1 to solidify the fanbase like Vegas did. Their cap structure is essentially the dream scenario for a sudden cash infusion (they have about $50M in cap space).

I'm also really curious about how players around the league view them. Arizona was on every no-trade list last year, but the new owner has very publicly rolled out the red carpet. Are guys removing them from their no-trade lists or taking a 'wait and see' approach?

They don't have a D man under contract for 2024/25 yet, but they have 3 RFAs. 2 of those guys are lefties and their best D prospect is a lefty. They don't have many big raises coming due in the next 2 seasons and all of their top prospects still have all 3 ELC years remaining.

I do wonder if they'd be interested in a guy like Faulk.

He's a vet that seems to be well-liked by teammates, he's got some personality, he is capable of playing a lot of minutes, and that 3 year remaining term shouldn't gum up future plans. I think he'd check a lot of boxes for what they are looking for to bolster that blue line. There aren't comparable UFAs that will be willing to take the same (or less) term barring a massive AAV overpay and I'm not sure that the trade market will have a whole lot of better options unless they are willing to give up a haul of futures assets. Obviously Faulk still has the full NTC, but in a year it slashes to a 15 team no-trade list and I'd wager that there has been at least an introductory 'are there any places you would go' conversation with him.

Utah could really impact the trade market depending on what they are trying to get done in the next few weeks.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That’s fair. He just had a pretty damn good playoffs, so I wasn’t sure if there’d be interest or not.
He shot 40%, I don't expect him to keep those numbers.

I'm so curious about what Utah actually wants to do this summer. Bill Armstrong was on Marek's radio show downplaying/managing expectations for 2024/25 and talking about not wanting to take on long-term acquisitions that hinder the ability to extend the developing young talent when they earn it. But then we also have reports that the #6 is available and you know that owner would love to have a good, fun team in year 1 to solidify the fanbase like Vegas did. Their cap structure is essentially the dream scenario for a sudden cash infusion (they have about $50M in cap space).

I'm also really curious about how players around the league view them. Arizona was on every no-trade list last year, but the new owner has very publicly rolled out the red carpet. Are guys removing them from their no-trade lists or taking a 'wait and see' approach?

They don't have a D man under contract for 2024/25 yet, but they have 3 RFAs. 2 of those guys are lefties and their best D prospect is a lefty. They don't have many big raises coming due in the next 2 seasons and all of their top prospects still have all 3 ELC years remaining.

He's a vet that seems to be well-liked by teammates, he's got some personality, he is capable of playing a lot of minutes, and that 3 year remaining term shouldn't gum up future plans. I think he'd check a lot of boxes for what they are looking for to bolster that blue line. There aren't comparable UFAs that will be willing to take the same (or less) term barring a massive AAV overpay and I'm not sure that the trade market will have a whole lot of better options unless they are willing to give up a haul of futures assets. Obviously Faulk still has the full NTC, but in a year it slashes to a 15 team no-trade list and I'd wager that there has been at least an introductory 'are there any places you would go' conversation with him.

Utah could really impact the trade market depending on what they are trying to get done in the next few weeks.
I think they try to be selective on big splashes, but they will make them. Another consideration is just with all the picks and prospects they have, do they have room to develop all of them.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think they try to be selective on big splashes, but they will make them. Another consideration is just with all the picks and prospects they have, do they have room to develop all of them.
Yeah, they have made 18 selections in the first 3 rounds in the last 3 drafts (six 1sts, six 2nds, and six 3rds). That is legitimately cramming 6 drafts worth of prospects into 3 drafts.

Incredibly, they still hold ten 2nd rounders and seven 3rd rounders in the next 3 drafts. Like you, I expect that a lot of those picks wind up being used in trades.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, they have made 18 selections in the first 3 rounds in the last 3 drafts (six 1sts, six 2nds, and six 3rds). That is legitimately cramming 6 drafts worth of prospects into 3 drafts.

Incredibly, they still hold ten 2nd rounders and seven 3rd rounders in the next 3 drafts. Like you, I expect that a lot of those picks wind up being used in trades.
Could be as simple as trading up to get a higher draft pick too.

Reactions: Blueswin

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Said this several pages ago, but I dont see any significant moves being made this off season.
The Blues have 41/50 contracts, and nearly 16 million in cap space for next season.

There simply is zero need to make a trade, none.
You add one of Perron, Stephenson, or Monhan
You add one of Pesce, Walker, or Edmundson

Hell to be honest I would resign Perron, Eddy, and Tarasenko, to 2 year deals.
And no its not try to "Bring the Gang Back together" its more about what each brings.
Eddy brings the physical edge needed in a 2nd or 3rd pairing role.
Perron brings the shot you need on the PP.
Tarasenko brings the goal scoring and presence on the PP as well.

Buch/Thomas/Kyrou
Perron/Schenn/Tarasenko
Neighbours/Hayes/Saad
Bolduc/Sunny/Torp

Leddy/Faulk
Kessel/CP
Krug/Eddy
Tucker

I roll that out and have zero issues.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Legitimately curious why you can't just scroll past a Blueston post without replying shit like this. They should start giving you an infraction the second you hit reply to any of his posts cause you can't help but be an ass EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Lol. You never post, and basically the only times I’ve seen you are when you’re complaining about this.

Guess you’re his burner account. Or you’re just weird and act as his online body guard.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Said this several pages ago, but I dont see any significant moves being made this off season.
The Blues have 41/50 contracts, and nearly 16 million in cap space for next season.

And no its not try to "Bring the Gang Back together" its more about what each brings.

Buch/Thomas/Kyrou
Perron/Schenn/Tarasenko
Neighbours/Hayes/Saad
Bolduc/Sunny/Torp

Leddy/Faulk
Kessel/CP
Krug/Eddy
Tucker

I would wager none of those guys would have interest in coming back here. That team is not a contender and still a long shot to make the playoffs. These guys at this point in their careers are going to be looking to win, also Tarasenko and Perron both left not on the best terms with the organization so I would imagine there is very little desire to return if any at all. Also Stephenson, Monahan, Pesce, Walker will all be getting overpaid in FA and that is not something the Blues need to do at this point of their retool.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I’ve been having this feeling too. We finally have some money to play with, and I can’t see Army not making any moves to switch up the puzzle a bit.

I think Hayes, and one of Krug/Perunovich will be traded. Buchnevich gets extended with a 5-6 year deal at around $8 mil per.

I also would not be shocked if we add a top 4 LD, a guy who can play 2C(until Dvorsky is ready), and another bottom six forward (who can play 4C, or be on the third line if one of Bolduc/Dvorsky aren’t on the opening night roster).

Best case, something like this:

Neighbours-Thomas-Buchnevich
Bolduc-TBD-Kyrou
Saad-Dvorsky-Schenn
Toropchenko-TBD-Sundqvist
Walker, Alexandrov

TBD-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk
Krug/Perunovich-Kessel
Tucker

Binnington
Hofer

If Sunny hasn’t fully recovered, then you can have Dean get some games in before heading back to Springfield to get top minutes.

I haven’t had enough time to make a list of targets I’d like to acquire via trade/UFA, but I’ll do that over the next week.
Buch is the 2C

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I tend to wonder how much of that has to do with facilities versus team competitiveness, especially with a guy on the back half of a deal like this where it's not long-term.

On one hand, it's extremely exciting to be apart of something brand new. On the other hand, what does the city/facilities have to offer.

It looks like The hockey club is going to play at the Delta Center which is where the Jazz basketball team plays. Did some digging on that building. It's not necessarily new, but it's also not completely outdated. Looks like they've sold and renamed a few times, but it was built in 91. However, it looks like there's some serious renovations being planned in the next year or two.

I'm unfamiliar with SLC but it seems like it's a pretty safe and nice area. Utah isn't exactly a booming metropolis or anything so the sponsorship opportunities may be a bit more scarce, but in general it looks capable of being a mid-market team.

Could see alot of appeal in general for guys to bring their families out there. Can't however see alot of appeal for younger players within the league to be attracted there - which really doesn't matter given how restricted free agency works - which could really remove them from trade protections.

Reactions: Brian39

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Lol. You never post, and basically the only times I’ve seen you are when you’re complaining about this.

Guess you’re his burner account. Or you’re just weird and act as his online body guard.
I honestly don't even pay attention to who you're doing it to most of the time, because almost all of your posts are like that, but lately, its every time he makes a post. You rarely add anything to the conversation even when you actually do take the time to talk about hockey, but when he posts, you always have to add something.

I enjoy lurking around here and getting people's opinions about the Blues and hockey in general and as a catch all for news about the team and the league. So I don't typically feel the need to add my own opinions when most of the time, its similar to something that has already been posted. Unfortunately, you seem to use this place as a way to direct anger towards people instead. You even pop in to main board trade threads and insult posters that are fans of another team because you disagree with their opinion. It's getting really old having to see your complete lack of ability to speak to anyone on this site with any kind of respect.

As for the bolded, I have complained about this twice, and both times have been about you specifically, so maybe that's why it seems like I'm doing it all the time? Because I'm always doing it to you?

It's too bad our only mod here is more worried about how to turn our defense into 6 Mikkolas than removing your completely useless posts like the one I responded to. It's okay though, thankfully this site gives me the ability to make sure I don't have to see it anymore and you can join the other condescending tool bags like Ted, that make this a worse site to visit.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
He should only play C in a pinch. He’s much better at the wing.
I thought at the end of last season he looked very good centering Kyrou and Saad. The second line was a massive weakness last year and I don't see any other way to put together a good second line. With his hockey IQ and skill distributing the puck he could successfully make the move especially with Kyrou to open up more space through the NZ.

Reactions: stl76

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Agreed. I think Faulk is a guy that has a lot more value than many of us think, because even though he is fairly highly paid it's only for 3 more years and any similar quality UFA will likely get longer commitment. For team like Utah (or other young team with guys they know they are going to have to pay soon), spending some of the excess draft capital they have accumulated over past few years to acquire guy like Faulk should be enticing. He isn't going to return 6OA, but maybe their top 2nd this year and another next (they have 3 this year and 4 next in 2nd plus 5 3rds over this and next)? Or something like Nordh (who was teammates with Lindstein this year so we presumably saw a lot of him), a 2nd, and a 3rd?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I honestly don't even pay attention to who you're doing it to most of the time, because almost all of your posts are like that, but lately, its every time he makes a post. You rarely add anything to the conversation even when you actually do take the time to talk about hockey, but when he posts, you always have to add something.

I enjoy lurking around here and getting people's opinions about the Blues and hockey in general and as a catch all for news about the team and the league. So I don't typically feel the need to add my own opinions when most of the time, its similar to something that has already been posted. Unfortunately, you seem to use this place as a way to direct anger towards people instead. You even pop in to main board trade threads and insult posters that are fans of another team because you disagree with their opinion. It's getting really old having to see your complete lack of ability to speak to anyone on this site with any kind of respect.

As for the bolded, I have complained about this twice, and both times have been about you specifically, so maybe that's why it seems like I'm doing it all the time? Because I'm always doing it to you?

It's too bad our only mod here is more worried about how to turn our defense into 6 Mikkolas than removing your completely useless posts like the one I responded to. It's okay though, thankfully this site gives me the ability to make sure I don't have to see it anymore and you can join the other condescending tool bags like Ted, that make this a worse site to visit.
LMAO.

I hardly ever post on the trade boards but you seem to love following me around. I’m in your head this much that you just wrote 4 paragraphs about me. Idk man, maybe you and Blueston should start making better posts if it bothers you so much. :laugh:

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Buch/Thomas/Kyrou
Perron/Schenn/Tarasenko
Neighbours/Hayes/Saad
Bolduc/Sunny/Torp

Leddy/Faulk
Kessel/CP
Krug/Eddy
Tucker

I'd give it almost a 0% chance Tarasenko would ever resign here.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I would wager none of those guys would have interest in coming back here. That team is not a contender and still a long shot to make the playoffs. These guys at this point in their careers are going to be looking to win, also Tarasenko and Perron both left not on the best terms with the organization so I would imagine there is very little desire to return if any at all. Also Stephenson, Monahan, Pesce, Walker will all be getting overpaid in FA and that is not something the Blues need to do at this point of their retool.
I disagree with most of this.
The Blues missed the playoffs by 6 points, and where on a 99 point pace under Bannister.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if any of Eddy, Perron, or Tarasenko came back to St. Louis. They all respect and where close with Steen, and all loved the area.

Most UFA's are going to be overpaid. However the flip side of that, is you are going to have to over pay in assets (Picks Prospects) to fill those holes in your line up via trade.
I would rather give Perron or Tarasenko 4.5 - 5 million on a 2 year deal then have to move (Insert a Prospect/Picks) to fill those same holes.

Its been 5 years since the financial windfall from winning the cup and 4 years since the financial windfall from the Kraken expansion fee. You start adding in the losses of the organization in ticket sales from COVID, its not a pretty sight.

I am not suggesting the organization is not solid, however the Blues need to make the playoffs, in most years, to turn a profit.

You go another year with no revenue from playoff games, its going to start to be a problem.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020

Buch/Thomas/Kyrou
Perron/Schenn/Tarasenko
Neighbours/Hayes/Saad
Bolduc/Sunny/Torp

Leddy/Faulk
Kessel/CP
Krug/Eddy
Tucker

Funny you think Tarasenko would ever return to St. Louis. He wanted out, remember? Plus his home is in Florida now and has been for several off-seasons, including that he's likely to be a Cup winner with Florida.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I disagree with most of this.
The Blues missed the playoffs by 6 points, and where on a 99 point pace under Bannister.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if any of Eddy, Perron, or Tarasenko came back to St. Louis. They all respect and where close with Steen, and all loved the area.

Most UFA's are going to be overpaid. However the flip side of that, is you are going to have to over pay in assets (Picks Prospects) to fill those holes in your line up via trade.
I would rather give Perron or Tarasenko 4.5 - 5 million on a 2 year deal then have to move (Insert a Prospect/Picks) to fill those same holes.

Its been 5 years since the financial windfall from winning the cup and 4 years since the financial windfall from the Kraken expansion fee. You start adding in the losses of the organization in ticket sales from COVID, its not a pretty sight.

I am not suggesting the organization is not solid, however the Blues need to make the playoffs, in most years, to turn a profit.

You go another year with no revenue from playoff games, its going to start to be a problem.
Let's say that adding 1 of Perron or Tarasenko is the difference between missing and making the playoffs. I don't think that either makes that large of an impact, but let's assume it is true. 4-6 games of playoff revenue over 2 seasons likely would not match the $9-$10M you want the Blues to give them.

If the team is in financial trouble, cutting payroll is easily the safer and more reliable option to balance the books than adding millions of dollars to payroll for middle of the lineup players in the hopes to make the playoffs but not seriously contend. I don't think either of Perron or Tarasenko moves the needle much to this team making the playoffs.

Neither address our 2 larges deficiencies (center and LD) and both of them played 3rd line minutes for teams below us in the standings this year. They are complimentary players at this stage of their careers. Different types of complimentary players, but they are not top of the lineup guys. I have major doubts that bolstering wing depth in the middle of the lineup is a good use of $5M for a team in financial trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad