Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I can’t see the Blues doing any trades unless it’s around Buchnevich. It wouldn’t shock me if Army used the 2 second round picks to move up either. I just don’t see any other action happening.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think a sneaky deal that I could see go down if Toronto is able to move Marner, is Buchnevich with retention to Toronto. Who knows if he accepts a deal a deal there, but for 1 year, a top team, and a familiar coach, I could see it. Or maybe some other team that needs a shakeup move and has somewhat limited space based on the moves they want to make. Buch would give them a top forward replacement for Marner and cap space for them to bolster defense and goaltending.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I think a sneaky deal that I could see go down if Toronto is able to move Marner, is Buchnevich with retention to Toronto. Who knows if he accepts a deal a deal there, but for 1 year, a top team, and a familiar coach, I could see it. Or maybe some other team that needs a shakeup move and has somewhat limited space based on the moves they want to make. Buch would give them a top forward replacement for Marner and cap space for them to bolster defense and goaltending.
I can see the interest and fit on their end but I struggle coming up with a trade that would be compelling from Blues POV. Expect Knies and Cowan to be off the table. Does a late 1st in 2024 and other picks in 24/25 move the needle? I think Army would prefer to keep Buch until the deadline if that was the offer.

Maybe a more attractive package could be made depending on what pieces Toronto gets back for Marner. For example, if a deal is to be made with Vegas and the return incudes assets the Blues could be interested in (Hague). Fun to speculate during this next 2-3 week period.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I can see the interest and fit on their end but I struggle coming up with a trade that would be compelling from Blues POV. Expect Knies and Cowan to be off the table. Does a late 1st in 2024 and other picks in 24/25 move the needle? I think Army would prefer to keep Buch until the deadline if that was the offer.
I think the issue with trying to construct this type of package is their complete lack of those 'other' picks. Here are their remaining 1st through 4th round picks in 2024, 2025, and 2026:

2024 1st, 2024 4th, 2026 1st, and 2026 3rd.

That's it. The rest have already all been traded. I have zero interest in a 2024 1st and 2026 3rd for Buch with retention. At that price, I'd rather hold him to see if there is something better over the summer or move him at the deadline for a similar (and potentially better) return.

Maybe a more attractive package could be made depending on what pieces Toronto gets back for Marner. For example, if a deal is to be made with Vegas and the return incudes assets the Blues could be interested in (Hague). Fun to speculate during this next 2-3 week period.
That is true, but I think that the more likely structure of a deal like that would be a true 3-way deal where the 3rd team acts as a middleman to retain cap on Marner as part of the deal. If Toronto is willing to flex their financial muscle to maximize return, this would be a 7/1/24 deal where Toronto pays his bonus and then the middle-man is only taking on cap space rather than going on the hook for $4M of real dollars.

I still think that the most likely outcome is for Marner to be wearing a Leafs jersey on opening night, but if he is moved I have to think that it demands 3rd party retention.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I still think that the most likely outcome is for Marner to be wearing a Leafs jersey on opening night, but if he is moved I have to think that it demands 3rd party retention.
Yeah I’d be shocked it Marner is moved. I get leafs fans are mad about his play in the playoffs and it’s fun for fans of other teams to speculate, but it ain’t gonna happen. He’s got the NMC combined with the high salary/short remaining term to make a deal functionally pretty close to impossible. Frankly I think it would be a mistake for the leafs to move him anyway, but that’s just my opinion.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Vegas makes sense, and I could see that happening. Marner for Theodore with necessary cap moves. If it's true that Vegas doesn't want to give Theodore a big deal, I could see them going for Marner since they are losing a bunch of offensive pieces.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Army, in his press availability today, said "For Buch, when he starts his contract, he’s going to be 30. We have to provide him (with) information (on) where he wants to be between (age) 30 and mid-30s, whatever that term is. Buch has to weigh what I believe the next two years (look like), and then he has to talk to Alex about what he believes moving forward. There’s synergy between what Alex and I think, but we’re not (in) lockstep in everything, and I think that’s good. He has a vision of what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. They’ve had those conversations, and does it correlate to what (Buchnevich) wants out of his career.”

I read that as:
  • Army telling Buchy that we aren't going to be contenders next 2 years and then Steen and Buchy discussing how long after that until we are again contenders.
  • If Buchy is open to staying through the rebuild (to me this is a rebuild, just not scorched earth), club will negotiate contract terms with him.
  • I think that Army feels that Buchy is competitive guy and wants chance to compete for Cup during remainder of his prime.
  • I also don't think Army wants to pay top dollar for Buchy extension because by the time we are again contenders Buchy will be on decline.
  • I strongly suspect that Army more wants to leave Steen with team on upswing than he cares about whether we make playoffs in next 2 years.
Net net, I believe the most likely outcome is that Buchy is traded between now and the end of 1st round of draft. Ideally to team like Buffalo that has all kinds of young assets (and #11 pick) or Utah (likewise but 6) from which we could further boost our farm system.

Reactions: ArenaRat

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
@Ranksu

Here’s yet again my genius level trading strategy that Army gets to see for free. Plus it’s been a while since I’ve bugged you with trade ideas.

To Blues: #5 overall pick, #57 overall (originally Colorado’s 2nd round pick owned by Montreal)

To Montreal: Jimmy Snuggerud + 16th overall

To Blues: 10th overall pick

To Devils: Binnington + Blues 2nd round pick

To Blues: 11th overall

To Buffalo: Buchnevich who agrees to sign extension

Blues draft:

#5 Anton Silayev
#10 Zayne Parekh
#11 Cayden Lindstrom

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Army, in his press availability today, said "For Buch, when he starts his contract, he’s going to be 30. We have to provide him (with) information (on) where he wants to be between (age) 30 and mid-30s, whatever that term is. Buch has to weigh what I believe the next two years (look like), and then he has to talk to Alex about what he believes moving forward. There’s synergy between what Alex and I think, but we’re not (in) lockstep in everything, and I think that’s good. He has a vision of what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. They’ve had those conversations, and does it correlate to what (Buchnevich) wants out of his career.”

I read that as:
  • Army telling Buchy that we aren't going to be contenders next 2 years and then Steen and Buchy discussing how long after that until we are again contenders.
  • If Buchy is open to staying through the rebuild (to me this is a rebuild, just not scorched earth), club will negotiate contract terms with him.
  • I think that Army feels that Buchy is competitive guy and wants chance to compete for Cup during remainder of his prime.
  • I also don't think Army wants to pay top dollar for Buchy extension because by the time we are again contenders Buchy will be on decline.
  • I strongly suspect that Army more wants to leave Steen with team on upswing than he cares about whether we make playoffs in next 2 years.
Net net, I believe the most likely outcome is that Buchy is traded between now and the end of 1st round of draft. Ideally to team like Buffalo that has all kinds of young assets (and #11 pick) or Utah (likewise but 6) from which we could further boost our farm system.

I can not shake the feeling that something big is coming this summer. Maybe it's just a Buch trade but I think their might be something more unexpected on the horizon. Not sure if it's going to be an unexpected trade, selling off a different asset or a big signing in UFA after saying we weren't going to be big buyers. I just don't see any way they can let this core that has failed two seasons in a row go into a 3rd intact.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I can not shake the feeling that something big is coming this summer. Maybe it's just a Buch trade but I think their might be something more unexpected on the horizon. Not sure if it's going to be an unexpected trade, selling off a different asset or a big signing in UFA after saying we weren't going to be big buyers. I just don't see any way they can let this core that has failed two seasons in a row go into a 3rd intact.

I’ve been having this feeling too. We finally have some money to play with, and I can’t see Army not making any moves to switch up the puzzle a bit.

I think Hayes, and one of Krug/Perunovich will be traded. Buchnevich gets extended with a 5-6 year deal at around $8 mil per.

I also would not be shocked if we add a top 4 LD, a guy who can play 2C(until Dvorsky is ready), and another bottom six forward (who can play 4C, or be on the third line if one of Bolduc/Dvorsky aren’t on the opening night roster).

Best case, something like this:

Neighbours-Thomas-Buchnevich
Bolduc-TBD-Kyrou
Saad-Dvorsky-Schenn
Toropchenko-TBD-Sundqvist
Walker, Alexandrov

TBD-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk
Krug/Perunovich-Kessel
Tucker

Binnington
Hofer

If Sunny hasn’t fully recovered, then you can have Dean get some games in before heading back to Springfield to get top minutes.

I haven’t had enough time to make a list of targets I’d like to acquire via trade/UFA, but I’ll do that over the next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: southsider

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I read that as:

As much as it would be helpful if Buchnevich would want to go to one of those teams if we are trading him. I can’t see him being open to that. He does have enough trade protection to have a decent say in where he ends up, and I think if we’re doing the courtesy (it could be just for public show) of outlining where we are going to be over the course of the contract, it’s very likely we’re looking at a late 1st for him + if he’s moved.

The issue with that is there’s already been a ton of pick movement from contenders.

I think best case scenario he could be sold NJD, or DET are spots that are on the up and up where he’d be able to compete and still have a large role on a team like he does here.

It’s hard to sell Buffalo given how long they’ve been a bottom feeder, and UTAH probably isn’t ready to go that route.

The following teams have already moved their 1st for 24 and don’t have another:
BOS, WPG, FLA, EDM, TBL, VAN, PITT.

EDIT: small addition:
Unfortunately it looks like the best positioned teams to be able to do anything would be
COL, DAL, NYR

Maybe Carolina would be willing but hard seeing them shell out more assets after reportedly shopping Guentzel rights.

Toronto has hardly any secondary assets.

VGK I’m pretty sure is hosting the draft - maybe their wow factor for fans would be moving the pick at the draft vs drafting someone. They have 19.

Who knows where Washington is going.

LAK has 21, maybe there’s something to be done there they’d have enough capital after that to be able to make something happen.
NYI has 20, probably same boat as LAK.

Last edited:

Blueshead version 2

Jun 7, 2022
I also think we are going to do something and am stuck on moving out Kyrou. It's not that I dislike Kyrou, and I feel trading him will be a huge risk, but don't see him as a Steen type of player and the huge need on defense.

Montreal earlier said it was looking for young scorer and was willing to move its 5th OA. I am thinking Kyrou to Mtl for the 5th and one of their defensive prospects not named Reinbacher, (they aren't trading him).

For Mtl it's pricey but they are getting just what they are looking for, a proven scorer w/ a seven year contract, a perfect match with their coach and I think a great linemate for Slaf. He is also an asset they would never be able to attract as a FA.

But as I said huge risk from our perspective, we are lacking scoring punch and this puts a hole until we get some youngsters to come up.

But this could strengthen our backend with a legit number one. Just can't get this possibility out of my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad