Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I am seem to remember Senja and Perunvich looking good enough in college to win the Hobey......one never panned out and the other is struggling to stay in the NHL at the soon to be age of 26.
I realize either where 1st round picks, the my point is you just never know with prospects and college performance has often not related to the NHL.
I am extremely concerned with Snuggy's decision to return to Minnesota.
-His performance his freshman season, was a reflection of playing with Cooley and Knies
-Without Cooley and Knies his play diminished from 1.2 points per game to .87 PPG
-His father pushed for a full time position with the Blues and the Blues did not feel comfortable with that.
-After this season, he could either A) sign an entry level deal, or B) play as UM for one bore season then become a UFA.
-NIL is playing apart in keeping him at UM, and it could be the same situation next off season.

The only thing that dropped in his play from not hacing cooley and knies is his assists. His goal scoring stayed the same. That shows a lack of finishers for him to pass to IMO, nothing wrong with his play.

How do you know what his father did?

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
The only thing that dropped in his play from not hacing cooley and knies is his assists. His goal scoring stayed the same. That shows a lack of finishers for him to pass to IMO, nothing wrong with his play.

How do you know what his father did?
Rivers and JR both where on 101.1 and said Snuggy's dad and "Advisor" wanted a guarantee that Snuggy would be in the NHL this season with a full time role. They assumed it was due to the NIL being offered at Minnesota was significantly more then what he would be making in the AHL

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Rivers and JR both where on 101.1 and said Snuggy's dad and "Advisor" wanted a guarantee that Snuggy would be in the NHL this season with a full time role. They assumed it was due to the NIL being offered at Minnesota was significantly more then what he would be making in the AHL
Oh ok. I read that as Dave Snuggerud himself was pushing to get hired by the Blues (which wouldn’t be completely outlandish as he’s the director of a high performance sports academy in the Twin Cities).

But I’d be a little surprised if Dave was trying to get Army to guarantee Jimmy would stick with the Blues all season though. As a former NHLer himself, he would absolutely know no NHL GM would guarantee that for pretty much any prospect short of being Bedard/McDavid etc caliber player.

The last I knew, NIL deals for hockey players aren’t all too lucrative. The kids at U of M get free Chipotle afaik. Unless you’re a top player in football or basketball or are a particularly attractive female, you’re likely not getting a lot of NIL money.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And didn't Army say they wanted him on the NHL roster down the stretch, so that would've burned a year off his ELC, correct? That means getting to his 2nd contract at an earlier date.

Whether he was guaranteed a spot for 24/25, he was at least offered something in between, which would've resulted in a shorter path to his next contract.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am seem to remember Senja and Perunvich looking good enough in college to win the Hobey......one never panned out and the other is struggling to stay in the NHL at the soon to be age of 26.
I realize either where 1st round picks, the my point is you just never know with prospects and college performance has often not related to the NHL.
I am extremely concerned with Snuggy's decision to return to Minnesota.
-His performance his freshman season, was a reflection of playing with Cooley and Knies
-Without Cooley and Knies his play diminished from 1.2 points per game to .87 PPG
-His father pushed for a full time position with the Blues and the Blues did not feel comfortable with that.
-After this season, he could either A) sign an entry level deal, or B) play as UM for one bore season then become a UFA.
-NIL is playing apart in keeping him at UM, and it could be the same situation next off season.

They both won the Hobey after their draft eligibility It's easier for a junior or senior to put up god numbers, even if they do not have the high end potential. There are concerns with Snuggy, but I don't think Senja/Peru us a good comparable.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Oh ok. I read that as Dave Snuggerud himself was pushing to get hired by the Blues (which wouldn’t be completely outlandish as he’s the director of a high performance sports academy in the Twin Cities).

But I’d be a little surprised if Dave was trying to get Army to guarantee Jimmy would stick with the Blues all season though. As a former NHLer himself, he would absolutely know no NHL GM would guarantee that for pretty much any prospect short of being Bedard/McDavid etc caliber player.

The last I knew, NIL deals for hockey players aren’t all too lucrative. The kids at U of M get free Chipotle afaik. Unless you’re a top player in football or basketball or are a particularly attractive female, you’re likely not getting a lot of NIL money.

Yea, the huge NIL money is given to those with huge social media followings (olivia dunn), relatives of orders pro stars (browny, manning, sanders), or qbs of elite colleges. After that it plummets. Hockey gets very little.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
And didn't Army say they wanted him on the NHL roster down the stretch, so that would've burned a year off his ELC, correct? That means getting to his 2nd contract at an earlier date.

Whether he was guaranteed a spot for 24/25, he was at least offered something in between, which would've resulted in a shorter path to his next contract.
Yep. If this is about money, then the Snuggs misplayed the situation. I think it’s more about legacy than anything else.

I just can’t see money being the motivating factor to stay in college. He’d have likely signed his first post-ELC contract sooner, NIL in college is not much and he is risking a career-threatening injury while still in college.

For what? Isn’t he already the big man on campus? Is legacy that important? Or is it simply a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience college hockey at the highest level? Be a kid. There’s plenty of time to be an adult. Just don’t wreck yourself, please. Thank you.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yep. If this is about money, then the Snuggs misplayed the situation. I think it’s more about legacy than anything else.

I just can’t see money being the motivating factor to stay in college. He’d have likely signed his first post-ELC contract sooner, NIL in college is not much and he is risking a career-threatening injury while still in college.

For what? Isn’t he already the big man on campus? Is legacy that important? Or is it simply a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience college hockey at the highest level? Be a kid. There’s plenty of time to be an adult. Just don’t wreck yourself, please. Thank you.
Yeah, most likely he wants to accomplish certain things with Minnesota first, and he feels he'll be more ready for the Blues in a year anyway.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, most likely he wants to accomplish certain things with Minnesota first, and he feels he'll be more ready for the Blues in a year anyway.

That's certainly what it sounded like in his interview at the end of last season. Of course he could just be playing the media game but he sounded sincere about wanting to continue developing and help Minnesota get to the next level. I don't recall hearing anything about him or his dad pressuring for a roster spot and I'd be surprised if that was the case. If it is the case then it would make me consider trading him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My experience with anything those two say on the radio is that they are almost always misinformed any time they aren't directly reporting information. JR has zero sources in the organization at this point and I very much doubt the player's agent advisor told him that Snuggy's dad was making demands of the team.

There is no chance that he was given an NIL package significantly more than the $170k+ he's make in year 1 of an ELC where he spent every day of the season in the AHL. To date, there have been no reports of NCAAA hockey players getting actual NIL cash beyond selling autographs and doing speaking engagements. I believe that it has started happening, but it is absolutely not in the mid-6-figures. At absolute most, he was offered an NIL package that could vaguely compete with the spending money he'd have after expenses on his AHL salary during the season on the assumption that he will get his signing bonus in April 2025 when he signs with the Blues. Even that feels like a huge stretch and it is certainly not something I'm concerned about because it means he signs in April.

I'm not thrilled that he's going back to school, but I'm pretty far from panicked about it as a sign that he plans to cost himself a couple million dollars and potentially hurting his career by staying in college for 4 years.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
He probably just prefers to develop in the NCAA rather than AHL. The wording makes it sound like he’s making demands of the blues. His dad might have started “Unless the blues reasonably believe he will be a full time NHLer next season, he’d prefer to stay in college”, i don’t think anyone would have an issue with that.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
My experience with anything those two say on the radio is that they are almost always misinformed any time they aren't directly reporting information. JR has zero sources in the organization at this point and I very much doubt the player's agent advisor told him that Snuggy's dad was making demands of the team.

There is no chance that he was given an NIL package significantly more than the $170k+ he's make in year 1 of an ELC where he spent every day of the season in the AHL. To date, there have been no reports of NCAAA hockey players getting actual NIL cash beyond selling autographs and doing speaking engagements. I believe that it has started happening, but it is absolutely not in the mid-6-figures. At absolute most, he was offered an NIL package that could vaguely compete with the spending money he'd have after expenses on his AHL salary during the season on the assumption that he will get his signing bonus in April 2025 when he signs with the Blues. Even that feels like a huge stretch and it is certainly not something I'm concerned about because it means he signs in April.

I'm not thrilled that he's going back to school, but I'm pretty far from panicked about it as a sign that he plans to cost himself a couple million dollars and potentially hurting his career by staying in college for 4 years.

It makes sense to me for him to stay in college. Why give up your friends and a chance to bring a championship to a place you love just to go to the AHL? I think he'll go pro next summer or maybe even when his seasons ends next year.

LOL at this clip. The amount of facepalms I had in the first 30 or so seconds.

JR gives off the snake oil salesman vibe. I just really can't stand him.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Many of the less-connected sports journalists have had to essentially become tabloid journalists over the course of the last decade to drive subscriptions. JR, is one of those. I can't stomach his stuff anymore.

At this point I have a few good Twitter follows who I trust to break the facts and that's about all I need.

Reactions: Davimir Tarablad

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
A journalist is someone with integrity who does research and writes stories that frequently make the people in power squirm.

Sports beat writers are not journalists. They are information brokers. Jeremy Rutherford is so far from a "journalist" that it's not merely silly to call him one, but problematic for actual journalists that people think this is all it is.

The thing that makes JR pitiful is he would probably call himself a journalist. That is embarrassing. He is someone who can write a nice color piece about a person, that is the extent of his writing ability.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Many of the less-connected sports journalists have had to essentially become tabloid journalists over the course of the last decade to drive subscriptions. JR, is one of those. I can't stomach his stuff anymore.

At this point I have a few good Twitter follows who I trust to break the facts and that's about all I need.
The ironic thing is that style prevents them from making(or regaining in JR’s case) those better connections.

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
If the Rutger McGroaty rumors are true, and our pick is on the clock and none of the elite defensemen fell in our laps. I would be willing to move our 1st for him. He's played with Snuggy before, provides some grit and leadership, and most importantly is two years further into development than any other forward we would be drafting. Perfect re-tool move in my mind.

Snuggy-Thomas-McGroaty
Stenberg/Neighbours-Dvorsky-Kyrou

Pretty stout top 6 in a few seasons.

Reactions: LogosBlue

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If the Rutger McGroaty rumors are true, and our pick is on the clock and none of the elite defensemen fell in our laps. I would be willing to move our 1st for him. He's played with Snuggy before, provides some grit and leadership, and most importantly is two years further into development than any other forward we would be drafting. Perfect re-tool move in my mind.

Snuggy-Thomas-McGroaty
Stenberg/Neighbours-Dvorsky-Kyrou

Pretty stout top 6 in a few seasons.

I doubt they'd trade him within the division, but I'd make a strong offer if we have the opportunity.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Yea, the huge NIL money is given to those with huge social media followings (olivia dunn), relatives of orders pro stars (browny, manning, sanders), or qbs of elite colleges. After that it plummets. Hockey gets very little.
Dont kid yourself.
Dinky Town Athletics is the NIL Collective for Minnesota, and there are reports out there, that Snuggy received a deal that was nearly triple what his AHL salary would have been. They where also able to give Matthew Wood a nice NIL package as well.
Over 500,000 Athletes are now receiving NIL funds. While the largest deals are still Power 4 Football, NIL is slowly starting to make an impact in Hockey.
My son is a is being recruited for football, he is c/o 25. He will likely land at a Group of 5 school, in the Sun Belt. The base NIL package for every football players at these schools range from 15-25K. His Team Mate is committed to Alabama, and his NIL offer was well over 100K. My nephew plays at UCF, the base NIL deal at UCF is 47K, a 1-4 year lease on a Ford, a spend allotment at Publix, and a 1 room apartment in downtown Orlando. Dude didn't see the field in one game last season, and that is his NIL package.

Again these are football example's, however NIL is progressing quickly into Hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad