Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Could you all stop trying to torpedo the team by trading Binnington? It's getting kind of sick tbh. People cry we're not competing then turn around and want to trade one of our 3 best assets.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wow. I didn’t know that you were a secret Toronto Maple Leafs fan! No wonder you see Binnington as a god.

Ryan O’Reilly, Jaden Schwartz, Alex Pietrangelo, Jay Bouwmeester, Colton Parayko, and Vladimir Tarasenko had just as much a hand in it as Binnington. Without any of them, we don’t win a Cup. It’s a team effort.

Were Binnington a mere “hothead”, like, for example, Cujo, I could root for him as a person. Binnington’s immensely talented and a hell of a goalie, but he’s not a hothead; like Belfour (who was also immensely talented) before him, he’s a f***ing whiny baby who can’t control himself and has to “hype up the team” by acting out in a tantrum, so much so that, lest we forget, even Berube had enough and told him to rein it in.

You want to root for a lesser Belfour and die on that hill, be my guest. I’m going to support the name on the front - and hopefully we get another first round pick in the process.

Invitation accepted. Binner is the man.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I think with Chicago paying to move up higher with us, they woulda offered a straight 2for1. If it was 20 and 61 for our 16 at this time, would u take it? Still shocked this CHI-NYI went down now, for just two spots with no knowledge of who's still on the board and where.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
And that ask would get laughed out of the room. Goalies just don’t carry that kind of value. If Woll or Kneis is coming our way we certainly aren’t getting a first on top of it.

That’s what it would it take for me to move him. He’s that valuable

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I think with Chicago paying to move up higher with us, they woulda offered a straight 2for1. If it was 20 and 61 for our 16 at this time, would u take it? Still shocked this CHI-NYI went down now, for just two spots with no knowledge of who's still on the board and where.
I think I would do it with the Hawks getting our 16 & 56 & us getting their 20 & 34. Don't be surprised if the Hawks don't try to move up even more.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Thoughts and prayers to the people who have to root for Binnington, the only goalie in Blues history to bring our franchise a Cup. Without him, we still wouldn’t have any.

Your lives must be so tough having to root for that guy, just because he’s been a hothead a few times.
Blues fans pearl clutching over Binnington's antics is far more embarrassing to me as a Blues fan that anything Binnington has ever done.

Unless we're completely blown away by an offer, I want him here to get 200 wins as a Blue.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Blues fans pearl clutching over Binnington's antics is far more embarrassing to me as a Blues fan that anything Binnington has ever done.

Unless we're completely blown away by an offer, I want him here to get 200 wins as a Blue.
Yeah I'm pretty torn on it. Binner is one of my all time favorites. The front office has found themselves at this crossroads where I can see the merit of trading him. However, considering how underwhelming the return for goalie trades have been over the last 15-20 years, it's probably better to keep him.

Trading a goalie with Binnington's pedigree, three years of control, and the Blues potential willingness to retain salary is unprecedented. Maybe those factors increase the value of a return to where it makes sense to deal him. I'd imagine Carolina and Toronto would both be motivated and interested in trading for Binnington.

If Binnington is dealt, we'd definitely need to pursue a veteran to split starts with Hofer, either via trade or free agency.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

It's all part of the show that we agree to watch regardless.

But I've never liked hushpuppies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I love how all the Binnington defenders get so angry about someone else's value judgements. His detractors are all "I (first person) don 't like him".

Then the virtuous binnongton defenders all jump in to tell us how we should think. "THEY are embarassing", "it's not worth THEM worrying about it". Honestly, I'm happy on my side of the fence for that alone.

Reactions: Memento

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
toronto's more than just a goalie away from the cup, so binnington would be hedging a pretty large bet waiving his NTC this offseason to move to toronto. i don't see it happening but i get why everyone's connected the dots, gonna need some rumors that he's willing to waive his NTC before i believe it though.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I love how all the Binnington defenders get so angry about someone else's value judgements. His detractors are all "I (first person) don 't like him".

Then the virtuous binnongton defenders all jump in to tell us how we should think. "THEY are embarassing", "it's not worth THEM worrying about it". Honestly, I'm happy on my side of the fence for that alone.
I don’t see how you read that tone from my comment.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don’t see how you read that tone from my comment.

I apologize if I misconstrued. How else should it be taken? You quoted a poster agreeing that Blues fans who don't like Binnington's antics are embarrassing. And then you definitively state his antics aren't worth worrying about it. It's not a big leap to assume you mean us Blues fans who don't like his antics shouldn't worry about it.

toronto's more than just a goalie away from the cup, so binnington would be hedging a pretty large bet waiving his NTC this offseason to move to toronto. i don't see it happening but i get why everyone's connected the dots, gonna need some rumors that he's willing to waive his NTC before i believe it though.

He was born outside Toronto. Despite their struggles, they are closer than we are to competing. He gas a lot of history with Berube in the AHL and NHL. He has a chip on his shoulder where he may think he is enough to get them over the top. Not saying he will waive, but it's not crazy to think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
He was born outside Toronto. Despite their struggles, they are closer than we are to competing. He gas a lot if history with Berube in the AHL and NHL. He has a chip on his shoulder where he may think he is enough to get them over the top. Not saying he will waive, but it's not crazy to think.
no, it's not crazy to think and i see why everyone is wondering if the leafs will try to recreate berube's magic by adding his former cup winning goalie. just not expecting the blues to openly shop him, so we'll see if the leafs push and if he waives

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
no, it's not crazy to think and i see why everyone is wondering if the leafs will try to recreate berube's magic by adding his former cup winning goalie. just not expecting the blues to openly shop him, so we'll see if the leafs push and if he waives

I concur. I don't think we will shop him. I think we'll listen but say up front it will take a big overpay to even consider it. I don't think Toronto has the pieces to entice us. Hus waiving to go there, would theoretically be the easy part (or not, who knows).

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm squarely in the camp of "I will listen to offers on Binner" vs a camp of "I am trying to trade Binner."

There isn't much precedent for a goalie to return a huge haul of value in a trade, but there also isn't much precedent of a guy like Binner being moved. He is a Cup winner with 3 years left on his deal. He hasn't consistently lived up to that contract year-by-year, but he absolutely lived up to it this past season. A good chunk of hockey people believe that he had a better case for a Vezina nomination than at least one of the guys who actually got the nomination. I think even his largest detractors would have to agree that he was a top 10 goalie this season and the people with access to private advanced stats that teams have are the ones banging the drum about him deserving a Vezina nod (nomination, not win).

In 2024, he certainly looks like a $6M guy with a history of playoff performance.

At the end of the day, I don't think he will get moved. I'm not sold that a team will value him as much as we value him, which means that we're probably not going to get the type of offer that would justify moving him. But if a team in dire need of a real #1 views him that way, then it is worth exploring their offer. Because guys like that rarely get traded.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I'm squarely in the camp of "I will listen to offers on Binner" vs a camp of "I am trying to trade Binner."

There isn't much precedent for a goalie to return a huge haul of value in a trade, but there also isn't much precedent of a guy like Binner being moved. He is a Cup winner with 3 years left on his deal. He hasn't consistently lived up to that contract year-by-year, but he absolutely lived up to it this past season. A good chunk of hockey people believe that he had a better case for a Vezina nomination than at least one of the guys who actually got the nomination. I think even his largest detractors would have to agree that he was a top 10 goalie this season and the people with access to private advanced stats that teams have are the ones banging the drum about him deserving a Vezina nod (nomination, not win).

In 2024, he certainly looks like a $6M guy with a history of playoff performance.

At the end of the day, I don't think he will get moved. I'm not sold that a team will value him as much as we value him, which means that we're probably not going to get the type of offer that would justify moving him. But if a team in dire need of a real #1 views him that way, then it is worth exploring their offer. Because guys like that rarely get traded.

Pretty much sums it up. No reason not to listen to an offer but I just don't see a world where any team and especially the Leafs make an offer than I would value over just keeping him.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
There isn't much precedent for a goalie to return a huge haul of value in a trade, but there also isn't much precedent of a guy like Binner being moved.
I think you would have to look at:

Kuemper traded for Connor Timmins a 1st and a 3rd
F Anderson traded for a 1st and 2nd
Lehner for the 21st overall pick and David Legwand
Schneider for the 9th overall pick
Martin Jones traded for a 1st and Sean Kuraly
Varlamov for a 1st (11th Overall) and a 2nd
Bobrovsky for a 2nd, 4th and 4th
Campbell for a 2nd, 3rd and T Moore
Elliott for a 2nd and 3rd

But the one that sticks out for any Blues fan
Ryan Miller and Steve Ott for Halak, Stewart, Carrier, a 1st and 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad