Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'd much rather Dvorsky end up being a Shut Down Center to complement Thomas than putting grand expectations on him to be better than our 24 year old #1 C who's on his way to being a 90 point player with good defensive skills.

I think we have a Kopitar on our hands. I’m really high on him.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think we have a Kopitar on our hands. I’m really high on him.
Think he’s more of a goal scorer than Kopitar, probably less defensively gifted as well (mostly just because Kopitar is so damn good defensively, not because Dvorsky is bad).

Bo Horvat is a name I’ve heard in comparison and it makes sense IMO (more or a goal scorer, good faceoff %, solid defensively but not elite).

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm curious what the Blues want to do with him next season. Another season in the USHL will hurt his development so shouldn't be an option. Will he go to college? Maybe another try at a CHL-team? Or do the Blues think he's good enough for a spot in Springfield?

Can you clarify what you mean by the bolded? I can't see any time he spent on a CHL team?

Was there previously a discussion about him playing for a CHL team that got nixed somewhere along the line before he started playing in the USHL?

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Can you clarify what you mean by the bolded? I can't see any time he spent on a CHL team?

Was there previously a discussion about him playing for a CHL team that got nixed somewhere along the line before he started playing in the USHL?
The OHL is part of the CHL along with the WHL and QMJHL. He's with Sudbury in the OHL.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The OHL is part of the CHL along with the WHL and QMJHL. He's with Sudbury in the OHL.

I understand your confusion, given the discussion about Dvorsky being the main focus point in the thread - today but the post I quoted was made yesterday about Pekarcik and his development path moving forward from his current play for the Dubrusk Fighting Saints of the USHL after this season ends.

Edit: Definitely appreciate the non-judgmental explanation of the CHL structure. I happen to live in Prince George BC, home to the WHL Prince George Cougars and BCHL Prince George Spruce Kings, so I'm pretty familiar with the CHL leagues and their breakdown.

I don't however understand the difference between the various NCAA division 1-4 nor how the USHL breaks down, if you might be able to provide me with an explanation of that or a reference explaning that a bit? The transfer agreement with pro-ramifications for CHL vs BCHL players and NCAA eligibility I get, but there are several aspects of the US junior hockey system that escape me as a Canadian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
At this stage the odds anyone in our prospect pipeline or anyone that is a prospect for any team ends up better than Thomas is very slim. He’s a premier player in this league currently
Agreed. I'd say though, that while I liked Thomas a good deal during his draft year and was thrilled when we took him, he is clearly better than I or almost anyone expected. So while I think Dvo is a better prospect than Thomas was when we drafted him, and I think he will be quite good, it's not reasonable to expect him or any of our prospects to be as good as Thomas is now.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I understand your confusion, given the discussion about Dvorsky being the main focus point in the thread - today but the post I quoted was made yesterday about Pekarcik and his development path moving forward from his current play for the Dubrusk Fighting Saints of the USHL after this season ends.

Edit: Definitely appreciate the non-judgmental explanation of the CHL structure. I happen to live in Prince George BC, home to the WHL Prince George Cougars and BCHL Prince George Spruce Kings, so I'm pretty familiar with the CHL leagues and their breakdown.

I don't however understand the difference between the various NCAA division 1-4 nor how the USHL breaks down, if you might be able to provide me with an explanation of that or a reference explaning that a bit? The transfer agreement with pro-ramifications for CHL vs BCHL players and NCAA eligibility I get, but there are several aspects of the US junior hockey system that escape me as a Canadian.
The Titan of the QMJHL drafted Pekarcik in the Import Draft after his reps asked them not to and said he wouldn’t report there. They drafted him anyway. So if he is to play in the CHL, it’ll be for the Titan or for another Q team they now trade him to.

Clearly he stayed true to his word he didn’t want to go there as he ended up in the USHL. Most kids in the USHL go the college route but AFAIK, Pekarcik hasn’t committed to any college program yet. Perhaps the Blues talk A-B into trading his rights to a more desirable location in the Q, maybe he plays NCAA or I could even see him returning to a Euro league.

As for NCAA, there is only Division 1 and 3 in hockey. No D2 and there’s never been a D4. Why isn’t D3 just D2?? Well…it’s stupid and I think it has to do with how scholarships work but for the purposes of this forum, you really only need to worry about D1. Anyone with any shred of ability to play in the NHL plays D1.

Last edited:

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The Titan of the QMJHL drafted Pekarcik in the Import Draft after his reps asked them not to and said he wouldn’t report there. They drafted him anyway. So if he is to play in the CHL, it’ll be for the Titan or for another Q team they now trade him to.

Clearly he stayed true to his word he didn’t want to go there as he ended up in the USHL. Most kids in the USHL go the college route but AFAIK, Pekarcik hasn’t committed to any college program yet. Perhaps the Blues talk A-B into trading his rights to a more desirable location in the Q, maybe he plays NCAA or I could even see him retiring to a Euro league.

As for NCAA, there is only Division 1 and 3 in hockey. No D2 and there’s never been a D4. Why isn’t D3 just D2?? Well…it’s stupid and I think it has to do with how scholarships work but for the purposes of this forum, you really only need to worry about D1. Anyone with any shred of ability to play in the NHL plays D1.

Thanks for clearing up both points there!

I'm assuming the 1 year trade moratorium for A-B is over now, I can't see if the player's import draft rights can be transferred to a different league when I started skimming around...

Is Pekarcik now beholden to the QJMHL or can a trade of import player right to say the OHL/WHL be done using import draft positions? Understanding that he could also stick to the USHL, go NCAA or sign a contract and get assigned to the AHL (overseas player NHL drafted, then import drafted retain the European draft status and AHL eligibility regardless of their NA play afterwards if I understand that process?). Can Pekarcik return overseas on a European assignment clause if he were to sign a contract?

Reactions: Beauterham

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Thanks for clearing up both points there!

I'm assuming the 1 year trade moratorium for A-B is over now, I can't see if the player's import draft rights can be transferred to a different league when I started skimming around...

Is Pekarcik now beholden to the QJMHL or can a trade of import player right to say the OHL/WHL be done using import draft positions? Understanding that he could also stick to the USHL, go NCAA or sign a contract and get assigned to the AHL (overseas player NHL drafted, then import drafted retain the European draft status and AHL eligibility regardless of their NA play afterwards if I understand that process?). Can Pekarcik return overseas on a European assignment clause if he were to sign a contract?
My assumption is that he could only be traded within the Q now but I don’t know that for sure. I’m sure the Blues would prefer him in the O or Dub. But he can absolutely play AHL or anywhere in Europe. If he signs a contract with the Blues then they’d need to agree to “loan” him to a Euro team but that’s typically part of the contract negotiation.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Clearly he stayed true to his word he didn’t want to go there as he ended up in the USHL. Most kids in the USHL go the college route but AFAIK, Pekarcik hasn’t committed to any college program yet. Perhaps the Blues talk A-B into trading his rights to a more desirable location in the Q, maybe he plays NCAA or I could even see him returning to a Euro league.

Can comment a bit in regards to NCAA differences in D1 v D2 v D3 in a sport like baseball. I’d imagine it’s fairly similar in Hockey hence the reason no division 2 programs are carrying hockey teams.

In general the difference between D1 and D2 (aside from university size normally) has to do with two main factors. Clearinghouse eligibility requirements for prospects (high schoolers) requires a bit higher of standards for D1 v D2. I beleive it was 3.0 GPA for D1 vs 2.5 GPA for D2. To go along with that D1 schools were able to offer a larger number of total scholarships ( generally most players were on 25% or 50% athletic with academic gimme scholarships attached, 100% athletic is very rare, football is different). D3 however was unable to offer athletic scholarships.

If I had to guess most D2 schools cannot get the funding for Hockey to give out the scholarships. A lot of D2 schools are smaller in nature and lack the funding. A good deal don’t have football programs due to this.

I’ve also heard of some schools that are D2 in most sports that have a hockey program competing in D1 or D3. Which due to conference alignment is probably a rarity. One I can think of is Minnesota Mankato ( I believe where Backes went) and I think McKendree locally does it as well.

Reactions: Drubilly

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Re: Thomas vs Dvorsky…I think it’s forgotten how good Thomas’s D+1 season was. It was among the more meteoric rises we’ve seen from one of our forward prospects. And it culminated with him practically willing Hamilton to a championship.

He was CLEARLY the best defensive center in the playoffs, and the most dominant player.

How that relates to Dvorsky… It’s hard not to love Dvorsky’s characteristics, but becoming a +level defender (as a Center) in today’s NHL without being a +level skater is not a high percentage outcome. Blues brass (Armstrong and Taylor) have compared him to Turgeon. That’s not the connection I would’ve made, but there are some similarities.

Point in all this is that I’m going to be watching the CHL playoffs closely. From what I’ve seen up to this point this year, though, Dvorsky is not where Thomas was in D+1 across all three zones. But he is FAR more dangerous from the dots down at creating plays, and shots for himself. In fact, I don’t think Wheeler or Pronman have properly evaluated just how good of a shooter he is.

Something we desperately need, right now

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Re: Thomas vs Dvorsky…I think it’s forgotten how good Thomas’s D+1 season was. It was among the more meteoric rises we’ve seen from one of our forward prospects. And it culminated with him practically willing Hamilton to a championship.

He was CLEARLY the best defensive center in the playoffs, and the most dominant player.

How that relates to Dvorsky… It’s hard not to love Dvorsky’s characteristics, but becoming a +level defender in today’s NHL without being a +level skater is not a high percentage outcome. Blues brass (Armstrong and Taylor) have compared him to Turgeon. That’s not the connection I would’ve made, but there are some similarities.

Point in all this is that I’m going to be watching the CHL playoffs closely. From what I’ve seen up to this point this year, though, Dvorsky is not where Thomas was in D+1 across all three zones. But he is FAR more dangerous from the dots down at creating plays, and shots for himself. In fact, I don’t think Wheeler or Pronman have properly evaluated just how good of a shooter he is.

From the shooting aspect, a contemporary comp is Brayden Point…but that comparison completely falls apart when you look at the skating.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
With the end of Princeton University's season, is there any chance the Blues sign forward Ian Murphy from last year's development camp?

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011

How that relates to Dvorsky… It’s hard not to love Dvorsky’s characteristics, but becoming a +level defender in today’s NHL without being a +level skater is not a high percentage outcome. Blues brass (Armstrong and Taylor) have compared him to Turgeon. That’s not the connection I would’ve made, but there are some similarities.

Let's just get Celebrini and then we can move Dvo to wing, problem solved. Where do I apply for the upcoming Blues GM position?

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
From the shooting aspect, a contemporary comp is Brayden Point…but that comparison completely falls apart when you look at the skating.
I think that one makes a lot of sense (with the skating caveat). The one that I can't get out of my head even though there are some clear differences is Pettersson. The way he makes difficult passes from a stationary position, and the way he moves around the OZ perimeter seeming to always find a spot that's both a shooting lane and passing lane reminds me a lot of Pettersson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad