Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
From the shooting aspect, a contemporary comp is Brayden Point…but that comparison completely falls apart when you look at the skating.

Funny you mention that. Point's skating was a knock at the draft. It's not common players improve their skating that much, but I think it's way too common for fans to become extremely attached to certain criticisms and look to confirm them at every turn.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I keep telling myself that Dvo will be OUR Draisaitl.
That’s actually an interesting stylistic comparison TBH. Little chance Dvorsky peaks anywhere near as high as Draisaitl, but a big bodied C with IQ, a great shot, and so-so skating…if I squint hard enough I can see it.

I could go for some Diet Draisaitl :dunno:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
That’s actually an interesting stylistic comparison TBH. Little chance Dvorsky peaks anywhere near as high as Draisaitl, but a big bodied C with IQ, a great shot, and so-so skating…if I squint hard enough I can see it.

I could go for some Diet Draisaitl :dunno:
I think this season is also showing that Draisaitl isn't the league MVP do it all yourself type guy he appeared to be in past seasons when the Oilers PP ran hot.

Draisaitl only has 32 PPP this season, relative to the 62 in 22-23. 21-22 he had 41 PPP and prior seasons were lower, but he was partnered with McDavid at even strength more - significantly raising his scoring totals.

This to say, Dvorsky may indeed turn out to be stylistically comparable to Draisaitl, but he will need some help on his line to shine. Pump the brakes a bit and temper those expectations - Draisaitl was a 3 OA pick and he took 3 years before he started to shine when deployed with arguably one of the best players in the history of the NHL. Dvo looks fantastic in Sudbury, but he's a 10 OA pick and will not have the same opportunities Draisaitl was provided with.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Snuggerud has been BRUTAL. His effort is awful lately. His shot is good enough to do that, too little too late for his team. He checked out on his team around the time he came back from the WJC.

Expect a lot of AHL time next season.

If you don't trust my singular opinion head over here and read the game thread.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Snuggerud has been BRUTAL. His effort is awful lately. His shot is good enough to do that, too little too late for his team. He checked out on his team around the time he came back from the WJC.

Expect a lot of AHL time next season.

If you don't trust my singular opinion head over here and read the game thread.
This just reads like a bunch of die hard gopher fans pissed their team lost and looking for a scapegoat to blame for a poor team showing. If Snuggerud needs to marinate in the AHL next season to round out parts of his game, that is totally fine.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
41 Goals and 81 points

8 days until the OHL regular season ends - I might have to try and dig up a stream of Sudbury's games somewhere. I've been doing a lot of scoreboard watching for DD, but I haven't watched him since the WJC.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Even without the points, this was one of Dvorsky’s best games. Had him skating with Giroux and McCallum most of the night. Killed it on the dot. I think he lost one. Had a post as well just shoots out of no where. Slick passes all night. Could have had 6 or 7 assists. Much better overall game with passion. Did well killing penalties.

Beaudoin looks like 3rd round talent. He is slow. Not aggressive. Disappointing playing for a playoff spot last night. He just coasted around for Barrie. Pass.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
This just reads like a bunch of die hard gopher fans pissed their team lost and looking for a scapegoat to blame for a poor team showing. If Snuggerud needs to marinate in the AHL next season to round out parts of his game, that is totally fine.
Those die hards are the ones that watch the team week in and week out. Plus it includes some of the most positive fans that rarely single out single players. If you watch the whole game from yesterday you'll see what they're talking about. One clip from Twitter doesn't tell a story.

Reactions: Majorityof1

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
snuggy with a goal but um lost 2-1 to michigan in big 10 tourney.
I watched almost all of this game but turned it off with 6 min left with Michigan up 2-0. It was a super boring game unfortunately. I’ve watched a fair amount of Minnesota play lately. Agree with Bonin21 that Snuggerud hasn’t looked very good. I haven’t said a lot about it as people here seem so stoked for him but I’m not as high on him. He has one heck of a shot but his skating and hockey sense aren’t great.

Reactions: Majorityof1

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I watched almost all of this game but turned it off with 6 min left with Michigan up 2-0. It was a super boring game unfortunately. I’ve watched a fair amount of Minnesota play lately. Agree with Bonin21 that Snuggerud hasn’t looked very good. I haven’t said a lot about it as people here seem so stoked for him but I’m not as high on him. He has one heck of a shot but his skating and hockey sense aren’t great.
What makes you think he doesn't have good hockey sense?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I haven’t watched a lot of Minny this year, but my sense is without Cooley and Knies he doesn’t have anyone who can consistently get him pucks in dangerous areas and he’s frustrated out there. Not great, but he needs to work through it. I don’t think he will be good enough to drive nhl line, but I am optimistic he can play with top guys and produce. But that is going to be on him to put the work in to be quality player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Liut

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Those die hards are the ones that watch the team week in and week out. Plus it includes some of the most positive fans that rarely single out single players. If you watch the whole game from yesterday you'll see what they're talking about. One clip from Twitter doesn't tell a story.
Fair enough, I’ll try to watch the full game if I have time this weekend.

But Snuggerud is not the only player being singled out in the thread you posted. Multiple other players are mentioned by name, as well as the coaching staff (hence me saying it seems like angry fans searching for someone the blame when the whole team played poorly).

Personally, I’m not overly worried about Snuggerud. He had plus NHL level tools (particularly his shot) that may allow him to make a smooth transition to the NHL. However if he needs more development time in the AHL to improve away from the puck and adjust to the different speed/physicality that’s fine IMO.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Fair enough, I’ll try to watch the full game if I have time this weekend.

But Snuggerud is not the only player being singled out in the thread you posted. Multiple other players are mentioned by name, as well as the coaching staff (hence me saying it seems like angry fans searching for someone the blame when the whole team played poorly).

Personally, I’m not overly worried about Snuggerud. He had plus NHL level tools (particularly his shot) that may allow him to make a smooth transition to the NHL. However if he needs more development time in the AHL to improve away from the puck and adjust to the different speed/physicality that’s fine IMO.
His shot is his only plus NHL level tool. I can't really think of any of his other skills as middle 6 NHL ready right now.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
His shot is his only plus NHL level tool. I can't really think of any of his other skills as middle 6 NHL ready right now.
He reminds me a bit of Tage in that his shot is nhl ready before rest of his game. Tage got nhl time and struggled and wasn’t until Sabres let him marinate in AHL that rest of his game really developed. Hopefully snuggy does that for whomever we deal him to (in exchange for 1D instead of 1c Tage went for).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad