Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Bolduc, Snuggs and Dean are all 20 years and Dvo is 18. And Neighbors is only 21. That’s crazy. They have so much development ahead of them.

How is it crazy that the guy we drafted at 18 3 years ago is 21, the guys that were drafted 2 years ago at 18 are 20, and the guy we just drafted at 18 is 18? That's just math. Works the same for every team. It'd be crazy is Thomas was still 21

Reactions: Mike Liut

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
How is it crazy that the guy we drafted at 18 3 years ago is 21, the guys that were drafted 2 years ago at 18 are 20, and the guy we just drafted at 18 is 18? That's just math. Works the same for every team. It'd be crazy is Thomas was still 21

Except that many players drafted when Neighbors was are 22. We have been drafting kids that tend to be younger then their peer in their draft year.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
That is a very interesting article. At no point in the recent past have we moved a prospect up and given him top 6 minutes. Usually start on the bottom line and work you way up. But it shows how weak our 2nd line is that he is jumping in and moving up to top 6.

Not sure if I like it as he hasn't really had to earn it al la some of the other players. But... Now it is up to him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That is a very interesting article. At no point in the recent past have we moved a prospect up and given him top 6 minutes. Usually start on the bottom line and work you way up. But it shows how weak our 2nd line is that he is jumping in and moving up to top 6.

Not sure if I like it as he hasn't really had to earn it al la some of the other players. But... Now it is up to him.
We should see what his actual minutes look like. While someone like Scwhartz genuinely started on the 4th line, Thomas and Kyrou started in the top 9.

Tage Thompson is the one where I see the similarities with, and that's the concerning part. Thompson made the team out of camp, and meant to be on a top 9 role. He flopped after 4 games, was decent, but not great in the minors, and called up because of injuries and ineffectiveness of other forwards.

Both Bolduc and Thompson are/were called up before they wanted and not because they were dominating the minors and ready, but because of conditions on the big club.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Blues prospects featured on the cover of The Hockey News:

429670081_823445656488923_6381640037248296042_n.jpg

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Speaking of...does anyone know where to purchase The Hockey News locally? I'd like to get my hands on one of those before the sell out.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Zherenko is hurt.

I'm not sure what to think of Ellis, but if he pulls a Binnington and is a late bloomer, I'm good with that.
It’s not out of realm of possibility. There are similarities. Both were really good in juniors but a bit undersized. Neither was ever really expected to be the guy. Obviously not saying Ellis will be as good as binner or lead us to Cup, but he could well end up a good nhl goalie. Of course, it’s 4 game AHL hot streak, so it may just be a fluke and he settles back into an echl guy.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
It’s not out of realm of possibility. There are similarities. Both were really good in juniors but a bit undersized. Neither was ever really expected to be the guy. Obviously not saying Ellis will be as good as binner or lead us to Cup, but he could well end up a good nhl goalie. Of course, it’s 4 game AHL hot streak, so it may just be a fluke and he settles back into an echl guy
One other thing to consider: Isn't this the last season of Ellis' entry-level contract? If so and he continues playing well, do the Blues consider signing him to a two-way contract so he can stay in Springfield?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
One other thing to consider: Isn't this the last season of Ellis' entry-level contract? If so and he continues playing well, do the Blues consider signing him to a two-way contract so he can stay in Springfield?
Yes, absolutely. Not only would they consider that, I’d be shocked if he wasn’t re-signed.

Binny and Hofer in STL
Zherenko and Ellis in Springfield
Cranley in Orlando (or whatever ECHL team we find for him)

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Zherenko is hurt.

I'm not sure what to think of Ellis, but if he pulls a Binnington and is a late bloomer, I'm good with that.
FWIW, Ellis had one of the best statistical freshman seasons in QMJHL history. It's very rare for a 16 year-old in that league to start 50+ games in net, post 5+ blank sheets, or have a sv% over .910, let alone all three. He's always had a lot of potential, and starting his pro career in the East Coast league has been more of a function of having a stacked stable of goalies and wanting to support them with vets in Springfield rather than him not being good enough. He's 23 now, so the clock is definitely ticking for him, but I definitely wouldn't count him out.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Yes, absolutely. Not only would they consider that, I’d be shocked if he wasn’t re-signed.

Binny and Hofer in STL
Zherenko and Ellis in Springfield
Cranley in Orlando (or whatever ECHL team we find for him)
Did I dream that the Blues were working on a deal with an ECHL affiliate for next season or is that actually happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad