Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
FWIW, Ellis had one of the best statistical freshman seasons in QMJHL history. It's very rare for a 16 year-old in that league to start 50+ games in net, post 5+ blank sheets, or have a sv% over .910, let alone all three. He's always had a lot of potential, and starting his pro career in the East Coast league has been more of a function of having a stacked stable of goalies and wanting to support them with vets in Springfield rather than him not being good enough. He's 23 now, so the clock is definitely ticking for him, but I definitely wouldn't count him out.
Let's be real though, he hasn't been good enough as a pro. He hasn't been good at the ECHL level until this season.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Definitely reassuring that he’s caught fire finally. Long way to go yet but I won’t worry about him as much.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Dean is COOKING right now. Really excited to see it. Was definitely getting a bit concerned even though I knew he wasn’t getting great deployment. Seems an opportunity is all he needed.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I haven't watched any of his play so I have no clue if he's performing well in all areas, but if he has turned it around wouldn't be surprised to see him in St. Louis at some point like with Bolduc.

I mean, it'd be hard to be worse than some of these guys we're still carrying around...

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I really don't get worried about young players their first year as a pro. I feel like most actually do struggle to find their footing. It is a promising sign that first Bolduc and now Dean are starting to heat up. Dean will need more time to over marinate. I see his projection similar to Barbashev, first year entirely in minors, get a few games next year and by year 3 when he gets his call up he stays up for good.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I really don't get worried about young players their first year as a pro. I feel like most actually do struggle to find their footing. It is a promising sign that first Bolduc and now Dean are starting to heat up. Dean will need more time to over marinate. I see his projection similar to Barbashev, first year entirely in minors, get a few games next year and by year 3 when he gets his call up he stays up for good.

If he keeps it up, I’d give him a few games this year just to show him what it’s like.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If he keeps it up, I’d give him a few games this year just to show him what it’s like.

I wouldn't be against it, just depends on how the rest of year goes. There is always the possibility of injuries, trades opening up a spot but I wouldn't bring him up to just bring him up.

Reactions: Mike Liut

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I watch a lot of CHL hockey and the Q is just a slower league. It isn't every player's growth track, but I just have to think the pace of the game and competition is a much more significant step up for a first year. I didn't have much anticipation of numbers or significant contribution out of Bolduc or Dean this year. I think year two will show us a lot in the AHL.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I also think that at the NHL level, neither will carry a line. They can be solid contributora, but not someone like Thomas. They need other scoring players around them to be successful.

Basically Dean needs top 6 talent to produce. Same with Bolduc, and I think Snugs is much in the same track. None are line drivers.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
After having points in just 4 out of his first 35 games and none in his last 12, you have to wonder what clicked with Dean that he now has points in 5 of his last 6 games. Great to see, though. I hope he continues to flourish.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I also think that at the NHL level, neither will carry a line. They can be solid contributora, but not someone like Thomas. They need other scoring players around them to be successful.

Basically Dean needs top 6 talent to produce. Same with Bolduc, and I think Snugs is much in the same track. None are line drivers.

thats why it’s so important if you don’t have star quality players, you better have very good defenders, very good 2 way players and great goaltending... similar to the cup winning Blues. This recipe can win.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
After having points in just 4 out of his first 35 games and none in his last 12, you have to wonder what clicked with Dean that he now has points in 5 of his last 6 games. Great to see, though. I hope he continues to flourish.
The easiest and most obvious explanation to me is opportunity. He's played on the top two lines the past couple of games with AHL stars whereas most of the year he's been playing on the third and fourth line with far less desirable linemates. I imagine that also comes with increased ice time as well, but for some reason the league doesn't publicly show time on ice. More ice time and playing with better players is usually going to result in higher scoring output. Some additional confidence from earning that promotion probably doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: jura

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Let's be real though, he hasn't been good enough as a pro. He hasn't been good at the ECHL level until this season.
This is the one time where I extend the benefit of the doubt to a statistical profile. Let's not forget Ellis started his pro career in the COVID season, for a team that was affiliated with a different organization than the one that owned his rights. He still managed to start more games that season than the 27-year old vet (Appleby) that he was sharing time with. That's not nothing. In Tulsa, Ellis had the best combined GAA and sv% profile of any of the other goalies that started for that team that year. Same thing in Orlando earlier this year. Just looking at the 0.888 for 22-23 doesn't give you enough information. It's also the ECHL; teams don't play defense. There are plenty of examples of players getting shelled in the E and going on to have perfectly passable pro careers after they graduate. I'm not saying Ellis is winning the Vezina any time soon, but I don't think he's counted himself out of the conversation in the way Fitzpatrick did, or the way Cranley is trending. Ellis is still a legit prospect to me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is the one time where I extend the benefit of the doubt to a statistical profile. Let's not forget Ellis started his pro career in the COVID season, for a team that was affiliated with a different organization than the one that owned his rights. He still managed to start more games that season than the 27-year old vet (Appleby) that he was sharing time with. That's not nothing. In Tulsa, Ellis had the best combined GAA and sv% profile of any of the other goalies that started for that team that year. Same thing in Orlando earlier this year. Just looking at the 0.888 for 22-23 doesn't give you enough information. It's also the ECHL; teams don't play defense. There are plenty of examples of players getting shelled in the E and going on to have perfectly passable pro careers after they graduate. I'm not saying Ellis is winning the Vezina any time soon, but I don't think he's counted himself out of the conversation in the way Fitzpatrick did, or the way Cranley is trending. Ellis is still a legit prospect to me.
If he ends the season strong or even just decent, I would hope we feel comfortable enough with Zherenko as the main starter and #3 to have Ellis get a full season at the AHL level. Signing Subban made sense this season, but I don't think it's necessary based on how Hofer and Zherenko have performed.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
the difference between ellis and fitz and cranley is that ellis is actually a good goalie and was so when drafted. fitz and cranley have never really been good goalies. they have great physical traits so we rolled the dice on them, because big goalies with good movement can be dominant, but fitz doesn't have mental toughness to be good goalie and i don't know what cranley's problem is but he's terrible. ellis is a bit small so he isn't prototype, but he wouldn't be 1st guy to go route he is on and end up a good nhl goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad