Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
In addition, 6 of Ellis' saves were in OT. T-Birds were outshot 38-25.

Could it be Ellis is making a statement about possibly being the backup in Springfield next season?

Next season? How about this season? I don't send him down the way he has been playing this year. I find a place to loan Subban. Small sample size, but Ellis has huge potential. He is finally tapping in to it. I don't want to send him down where he can get complacent.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Looks like springfield is following in the blues footsteps. Getting outshot 34-12 right now

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Looks like springfield is following in the blues footsteps. Getting outshot 34-12 right now
They made it close and had a 4-3 game with a PP under 3 mins to potentially tie it. Then Bitten took a hooking call and the comeback stalled.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I have got to believe the Blues have to make a pitch for Rw/C Colin Graf from Quinnipiac we have such gaping holes on the right side. We have two spots players can easily take.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm hopeful we can pick up a couple promising NCAA free agents. I know Graf was at a Nashville camp, so they might have the in on him. Preds also signed one of the top NCAA dmen last season in Livingstone, so they might be more focused on NCAA. I can't remember if we had anyone in our recent camp like we had with Malmstrom, that's usually an indicator on if you are really focused on a player.

Even if they end up as just AHL depth, it would be nice to see a couple extra lotto tickets.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Colton Huard was a recent camp invite that I could see us pursuing. Seems a similar tier to Malmstrom, where they are a highish tier of NCAA free agent quality, but not at the very top. There will be competition, but maybe not a crazy amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'm hopeful we can pick up a couple promising NCAA free agents. I know Graf was at a Nashville camp, so they might have the in on him. Preds also signed one of the top NCAA dmen last season in Livingstone, so they might be more focused on NCAA. I can't remember if we had anyone in our recent camp like we had with Malmstrom, that's usually an indicator on if you are really focused on a player.

Even if they end up as just AHL depth, it would be nice to see a couple extra lotto tickets.
Preds look solid on the right side depth wise

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And this was before my time where I'd do research on the stuff, but I was always curious where Sejna was on the free agent rankings at the time. Was that a massive signing for us, or was it more hype because of Hobey Baker, and he was never much of a NHL prospect. The hype was certainly there, I just curious how much of it was warranted, and was it league-wide.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
And this was before my time where I'd do research on the stuff, but I was always curious where Sejna was on the free agent rankings at the time. Was that a massive signing for us, or was it more hype because of Hobey Baker, and he was never much of a NHL prospect. The hype was certainly there, I just curious how much of it was warranted, and was it league-wide.
Like Perunovich, he was quite small. He was a star, but he didn’t outskate people at the NHL level.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Like Perunovich, he was quite small. He was a star, but he didn’t outskate people at the NHL level.
I know why he failed, I remember watching him and all that, I just wasn't online enough at the time to follow his college career and signing process to know if he was truly a free agent prize and we actually beat out a bunch of other teams or if he wasn't as in demand as our local media hyped him up to be.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He was pretty highly sought after. Pretty much every team would’ve loved to have had him. It wasn’t just STL media hyping him up.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I know why he failed, I remember watching him and all that, I just wasn't online enough at the time to follow his college career and signing process to know if he was truly a free agent prize and we actually beat out a bunch of other teams or if he wasn't as in demand as our local media hyped him up to be.
I’ve always been a college hockey fan back to the days of SLU playing in the checkerdome. Been a lot of smaller guys that were hyped that are big swings and most of the time misses. Worth a shot at the time. I don’t think he had the moxy to go in the trenches.

Graf is average NHL size

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue1223

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Wheeler has the same exact write up for Snuggy this year and he had last year. Add a line or two but he copied at pasted what he wrote from last year lol
I have zero problem with him editing and adding to the old write up in situations where he hasn't changed his opinion about a player. If a player's game or development trajectory hasn't drastically changed, then there really isn't any reason to re-write the whole thing. He writes a roughly 5,000-word article for all 32 prospect pools in the league. That's the length of a very long book and this piece/series is far from his only output on the year. I'm not at all surprised that he's not re-writing the heart of the blurb for each prospect.

I certainly don't treat Wheeler's assessment as gospel and there is just no way that 1 person is going to be able to reliable 'rate' 500+ prospects aged 18-22 who play across junior, NCAA, and every pro league but the NHL. But I think he does a fairly good job at creating a macro-level analysis of where teams are in comparison to each other. My biggest complaint is that he does the tiers as team specific. I think it would be much more useful to have a uniform set of tiers so you could directly compare the tiers of your team's prospects to other teams.

As for the list/ranking, I was hoping and expecting us to be a few spots higher, although that expectation was probably set in my brain in the offseason when Neighbours and Hofer were both considered prospects. It sounds like we were in the running for those spots, but who knows how close he had us.

One thing I found interesting is that each of our top 5 prospects was 20 or younger. We were the first team in the rankings who didn't have a 21 or 22 year old prospect in the top 5. Seattle was ranked 12th today and they also don't have a 21 or 22 year old in their top 5. I'd wager that a lot of the top 10 pools are going to follow this trend since the overlap between 'bad NHL team' and 'lots of recent high picks' is pretty high. There are more roster spots available for 21 and 22 year old prospects to land full-time NHL jobs, so it makes sense that they don't have many highly regarded 21 and 22 year olds outside the NHL.

We likely won't graduate much for next year's rankings. Beck is the only prospect who will age out and none of our 15 ranked players has seen an NHL game yet. Snuggy will be given a real shot to make the team full time, but he is a long way away from being a lock as a full time NHLer by the midpoint of next season. He very well might bounce up and down. Bolduc will need to make a big jump to make the NHL full timer next year as well.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This was awful list. I expected us higher, but setting that aside this list is not good. Doing 32 of these and draft previews I can’t imagine wheeler spends much time watching and evaluating prospects beyond top tier or so. Because if he did, he wouldn’t have guys like robertsson or beck, who have regressed and likely won’t even get signed, over kaskimaki or stancl (who both shone at WJC) or burns or others. and as @PJJJP pointed out, there is lots of these that are basically cut and pasted from previous write ups offs with only minimal updating. What a joke.
I wouldn't call it awful, but I agree with the take about Kaskimaki and Stancl vs Beck and Robertsson.

I think there is a decent argument that he has our top 10 both tiered correctly and in the proper order. I fully agree that Snuggy and Dvorsky are in a tier ahead of our other prospects and I have Stenberg as the head of the next tier as well. I'd swap Lindstein and Bolduc, but I get going the other way and would admit that I may be biased based on organizational positional need. Dean has struggled in the AHL, but I understand keeping him tiered ahead of the next round of promising younger guys.

I think the list gets ugly after Zherenko, but that doesn't bring it to 'awful list' in my mind. I view this series as a macro view around the league and his stance on the Blues pool isn't far off from the consensus around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad