Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Pekarcik is off to a good start in the USHL with 2 goals and 6 points in 6 games (tied for 5th on his team). In looking at his team, the leading scorer is 19 year old Swede Erik Pahlsson with 5 goals and 12 points in 6 games. I wonder if the Blues are taking note, and this guy could be a sleeper as an overage in next year’s draft - he’s 6’1, so size isn’t an issue - and he produced big time in Sweden juniors and has 4 goals in 4 games in for Sweden U20 international team this year; anyone know anything about him? Erik Påhlsson at eliteprospects.com
He caught my eye as well until I started reading up on him. Not a good skater, not a good defensive player, and not very strong on his skates either. Reviews I read, did not see him as a draftable player. Still consider him possibly as a “moneyball” signing or bring him to camp. He stats were impressive in U20 last year.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not a fan of this, we already have a lot of D in Springfield and rather not bench one of our own prospects or send one to the ECHL.

We already have Rosen, Kessel, Loof, Gaudet, Biakabutuka, Duszak, Kalynuk and Skinner while Jacobs and Malmstrom are injured. There simply is no room?

EDIT: just noticed the Canes also send Jamieson Rees to Springfield.

EDIT 2: Just to highlight, this is Springfields complete roster:

Not saying this is going to be their exact line-up (shuffle them around if you will), but I think these could very well be the players on their opening night roster. Unless injuries occur I see it as a realistic posibility that Dickinson and Gaudet might not play on opening night... which is a really bad think IMO.

Bolduc - Dean - W. Bitten
MacEachern - Gaudette - Laferriere
McGing - Walker - Peca
Rees (CAR) - Abramov - Heim

Loof - Kessel
Rosen - Coghlan (CAR)
Kalynuk - Duszak (AHL)

Subban - Zherenko

Players benched or potentially send to the ECHL:

Cranley
Ellis

Biakabutuka
Gaudet
Skinner
Jacobs INJ
Malmstrom INJ
Osmanski (AHL)
Harpur (AHL)

S. Bitten (AHL)
Callin (AHL)
Guy (AHL)
Hoelscher (AHL)
Jandric (AHL)
Dickinson
Washkurak
Why is it so terrible for 19 year old d and f coming off major injury to get some echl time? We don’t want either sitting but starting in echl and earning way up is viable path.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Why is it so terrible for 19 year old d and f coming off major injury to get some echl time? We don’t want either sitting but starting in echl and earning way up is viable path.

I don't think it's THAT terrible if a player starts in the ECHL and quickly moves up to the AHL although I'd rather have them start in the AHL for more resistance. I'm more annoyed that Springfield will be playing Coghlan and Rees over our own prospects. Let's hope it's just these two and we will not take on more Carolina prospects (guys like Honkka, Gunler are going to the ECHL as they have no spot for them in the AHL yet). The Wolves screwed the canes over big time.

PS. I do think Dickinson and Gaudet might not play on opening night but I think they could start the season with Springfield as healthy scratch but will start a game here and there, I don't think they will be send to the ECHL. However, I do expect guys like Biakabutuka and Skinner to spend time in Worcester (?).

BTW, anyone got an idea what kind of injury Malmstrom has and how long he's going to be out?

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think it's THAT terrible if a player starts in the ECHL and quickly moves up to the AHL although I'd rather have them start in the AHL for more resistance. I'm more annoyed that Springfield will be playing Coghlan and Rees over our own prospects. Let's hope it's just these two and we will not take on more Carolina prospects (guys like Honkka, Gunler are going to the ECHL as they have no spot for them in the AHL yet). The Wolves screwed the canes over big time.

PS. I do think Dickinson and Gaudet might not play on opening night but I think they could start the season with Springfield as healthy scratch but will start a game here and there, I don't think they will be send to the ECHL. However, I do expect guys like Biakabutuka and Skinner to spend time in Worcester (?).

BTW, anyone got an idea what kind of injury Malmstrom has and how long he's going to be out?
believe malmstrom had shoulder surgery (on both shoulders?).

Reactions: Beauterham

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
believe malmstrom had shoulder surgery (on both shoulders?).
Forget where I read it but I recall an article saying Malmstrom had shoulder surgery and would he put a good chunk of the season. Jacobs had surgery on his knee and is expected to miss the entire season. Which sucks as we signed him to a 1 year contract just for him to miss the entire season.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Just some quick stat updated on the euro forwards.

Susuyev: 2g, 3a in the MHL -Russian Junior league, 2 a in 13 games in the CHL. 1 game in the VHL
Stancl: 0 points in 4 games in the SHL. and 3 assist in 1 game in the champions...

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
All hail King Snuggles with his 3 PPG average and GWG.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
wait.. wasn't he supposed to be worse this year without his previous linemates?
could he... gasp.. actually be really good??

all I know is, could sure use that 1 timer on our PP!

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Kinda wish he was in NCAA rn. Don’t wanna rush in AHL, his SHL team is a joke otherwise that’d prob be fine and I don’t think he needs junior hockey.

NCCA is fast, structured and hard hockey

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He looks to have made massive improvement in skating over past few years.

He did improve his skating, but he wasn't fast on that one goal at all. Count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi to 9 Mississippi on how long it took him to skate that up the ice. Than compare it to a Kyrou breakaways. 1 Missippi,,,oh, he scored. Snuggy was slow there. The other guy was just stuck in the mud completely, Take these clips with a grain of salt. NCAA isn't even AHL level. And this was a meh college team. It's nice he is having success, but a 10 second coast to coast where the other team just stood there and a one time from 150 feet past goalie who was maybe a sleep is not something I am going to be penciling in a guy into the NHL lineup over.

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He did improve his skating, but he wasn't fast on that one goal at all. Count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi to 9 Mississippi on how long it took him to skate that up the ice. Than compare it to a Kyrou breakways. 1 Missippi,,,oh, he scored. Snuggy was slow there. The other guy was just stuck in the mud completely, Take these clips with a grain of salt. NCAA isn't even AHL level. And this was a meh cokkege team. It's nice he is having success, but a 10 second coast to coast where the other team just stood there and a one time from 150 feet past goale who was maybe a sleep is not something I am going to be penciling in a guy into the NHL lineup over.
It’s not that he skated fast the whole way, it’s that he accelerated as he went around the guy. That is something we didn’t see much couple years ago. That is what excited me on the clip.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It’s not that he skated fast the whole way, it’s that he accelerated as he went around the guy. That is something we didn’t see much couple years ago. That is what excited me on the clip.

Fair enough. I don't think the acceleration was that great though, but he has definitely improved his skating. And that is a good thing. I still think he has work to do, and it will never be a strength at the NHL leve.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Fair enough. I don't think the acceleration was that great though, but he has definitely improved his skating. And that is a good thing. I still think he has work to do, and it will never be a strength at the NHL leve.
Fair enough. He doesn’t have to be Kyrou. He has other elements to his game, just so long as he can create separation when he needs it.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
You definitely like to see him exit & take the puck to the net with crossovers, but I'm not really sure what the defenseman in the back was think by ceding that lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad