Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Our receiving core are turning into something special, Duke and Schoen have more than replaced Lawlor, Woli is contributing, Demski before he got hurt was coming around, Grant is getting some time, McCrae in the slot at times. The only one who hasn't gotten up to speed yet is Bailey, and I want to see if Agudosi is for real

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
olivera is killing this team
Your Oline isn't getting a push in the run game. Runningbacks shouldn't have a defender tackling them the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. Obviously your QB isn't going to block someone, so you the 10 guys who are blocking to block someone.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My Game Thoughts

Offense
They did just enough to win. The passing game is really hitting it's stride. OL has been better last two weeks in protection, albeit those all-star DT's in Calgary gave the interior of the line some issues all night. That was reflected in the run game as well. However gotta love the development of the WR's here with Agudosi and Schoen looking like breakout rookie stars. As I mentioned previously as good a night as Agudosi had, it was inches/couple looks away from being even bigger. Ellingson is a football vacuum, anything thrown close to him i caught. I was just meh on the signing as the Lawler replacement but I was proven very wrong here early. The concern remain Bailey. I watched him specifically at times to see if he's getting open and Collaros just isn't finding him, but I didn't see it. He is just not being effective out there. It's weeks away, but when Alexander returns they'll need to turn a WR spot back to Canadian (hopefully Demski/O'Leary-Orange are healthy by then), and it may even be Bailey as the odd man out in the WR corps at that point. The run game I'm not sure what more needs to be said. It's not being effective. Oliveira's 3.2 yard per carry is good for 43rd in the CFL right now. Lots of QB's/WR's some with under 3 carries on that list, but still. It's bad. Augustine's 4.5ypc is better but still not good enough. We saw though that today starting only 7 Canadians it was hard for them to find packages for McCrae, so it's really we need one of these guys to seize this role. I wonder if the Bombers will kick the tires on Maleek Irons?

Defense
Got some luck with Calgary drops no doubt, but a 12/28 187yds, 1td, 1int out of Bo Levi is about as good as your going to do. DB's looked solid. Houston had a good night. Teams continue to not even throw anywhere close Nichols. Malcolm Thompson is the one weak spot, great in moving up in run coverage but REALLY struggles in pass coverage. The one big play to Begelton was on Thompson. We are really missing Kyrie Wilson in the run defense. The runs were mostly on the LB's, IMO. He was our best guy in run coverage, now we have two LB's that excel in pass coverage, IMO (Bighill and Clements). So we'll see how this evolves on our run D. Carey is quite good, but he had too easy a time. Maruo had a great pop as he's seeing more D reps as well which is cool to see. DL was disruptive all night. Willie had a slow start but he's starting to round into form. Jackson Jeffcoat might not have got on the stat sheet last night (maybe did idk) but he was getting a good push consistently as well making Bo Levi move. Cameron Lawson had a lot of D reps last game, I think he's developing but I didn't see anything too noteworthy.

Special Teams
Well Grant dropped that fumble early put us in a hole. Then that punt run was still a good decision by Liegghio (it would easily have been blocked and likely a TD against if he doesn't pull it down. And I swear he threw it away for an incomplete pass. Good coverage for the most part, other than that obvious hold on the PR which allowed Logan the return. Liegghio still struggling with XP. He's a solid 15/17 for 88.2% (good for 4th in CFL) on FG. But a baffling 11/15 for 73.3% on XP. Only Lewis Ward at 66.6% on XP is worse right now, but that's just 2/3 and he'll improve past Liegghio after today's game is counted. He's hitting the FG, so it's in his head. The talent is there, the only option is to let him play through it, IMO.

Overall it hasn't been the prettiest season per se. But it's 6-0 for the first time since 1960. Hard to complain very much. It's a veteran team that know they haven't hit their full stride just yet. It is going to be hard to avoid a let down game next week. After two back to back huge tests and a Calgary rematch coming in 2 weeks this next game visiting the lowly Elks does seem like a natural spot for a trap game. But it's hard not to be confident in the Bombers spot here.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Your Oline isn't getting a push in the run game. Runningbacks shouldn't have a defender tackling them the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. Obviously your QB isn't going to block someone, so you the 10 guys who are blocking to block someone.
didnt seem to affect the other backs

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Winnipeg Blue Bombers post $2.1 million operating profit for 2021 despite shortened season - 3DownNation

Despite no-preseason, just 7 reg season home games, and the pandemic restrictions Bombers still easily post a profit.
Maybe the CFL can do away with the 18 game season and get back to a 16 game schedule once a team in Atlantic Canada enters the league? Get rid of the sometimes short weeks.

I know it is wishful thinking but it would be nice to see.

Reactions: RabidOne and rkp

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Reactions: StumpyTown

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Maybe the CFL can do away with the 18 game season and get back to a 16 game schedule once a team in Atlantic Canada enters the league? Get rid of the sometimes short weeks.

I know it is wishful thinking but it would be nice to see.

I mean that's never going to happen. It's been 18 games since long long before I started following the CFL. 16 games must have been 80's or earlier? Yeah no chance. Salaries would have to come down to match, they are low enough as is.

Plus a 10th team makes the CFL schedule perfect. 18 games, 9 opponents, home and home with every team. Perfect symmetry. I still think 3 bye weeks is too many, 2 is plenty. Reduce it to 22 weeks (2 pre-season, 18 games, 2 byes) starting maybe 2/3 weeks earlier. Camps open in early/mid April, Grey Cup last week of October. That's what I'm hoping to see.

Don't overlook the fact that hosting the West final brought in $2.4 million. Without the requisite wins, we could have ended up losing money.

Sure but the they missed on the pre-season game (which is pure profit for CFL teams as players don't get paid for it) and 2 regular season games. No too mention the hesitancy of people to come back to crowded areas after 2 years. Overall this is very positive. Even with the West Final most people would not have expected to end in the green, and they were well ahead of it. Also not included in a bunch of money they moved in their fund to cover when they have losses as well.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ellingson and Jeffcoat out this week. Mack draws back in at DE. Tavaris Harrison will make his CFL debut (I believe) as a backup WR. Janarion Grant is listed as the starter. I expect McCrae, Harrison to rotate in plenty. Very young WR corps with rookie Schoen, Agudosi, Harrison, McCrae.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Ellingson and Jeffcoat out this week. Mack draws back in at DE. Tavaris Harrison will make his CFL debut (I believe) as a backup WR. Janarion Grant is listed as the starter. I expect McCrae, Harrison to rotate in plenty. Very young WR corps with rookie Schoen, Agudosi, Harrison, McCrae.
Is Bailey out too?

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Thats a blast from the past. But wasn't the JJ Barnagle show in TO?
I thought it was the Bombers but after a bit of investigating, I now think it was the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It seems both Barnes and Hufnagel played there in the early 80's.
I don't know if I should admit this but I was a Rider fan back then having just moved to Winnipeg from Sask. a year earlier and I guess I remembered JJ Barnagle playing for my team.

Reactions: RabidOne

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
The injuries can stop at any time now
It would help if we had a bye week earlier... Like seriously, it looks like some teams get 2 by the time we get our first break. Weird scheduling.
(unless I'm reading the schedule incorrectly)

Edit: though the bright side is we get more rest near the end of the season where the games become more important, and should be healthy for the playoffs...

None

Feb 22, 2012
They could be very minor injuries that they'd normally play with and they're just being rested because it's against the dysfunctional Elks. They'd never admit to that though.

I said it jokingly after their win against Calgary but they might actually have enough wins to make the playoffs already because of the crossover. It might just make sense to give banged up players a game off occasionally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad