Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Really appreciate your "game thoughts" and will add a few of mine:

Yes, Collaros was a tad off yesterday. Having damaged my ankles on several occasions, I am concerned about his ankle. It's my experience that it probably felt OK for a few hours post-injury (adrenaline and all that stuff) but the swelling would come later and will persist for a couple of days. X-rays/MRI either last night or today will hopefully show no fractures. Fingers crossed. Hopefully, it's a sprain/bruise that with rest and treatment will come around before Sunday. I expect he won't practice much this week.

On the D-side, the addition of Darby and Lawrence and especially the return of Alexander has made a huge difference. And, starting Clements, Bighill and Darby at the LB positions instead of having Gauthier (way too slow) out there was a difference maker, too.

Special teams: Grant, for reasons unknown to me, has for several games now been electing to field a lot of kicks on the bounce resulting in....well, we saw what happened yesterday. Of course, he has the habit of redeeming himself. There was another time yesterday on a punt, when he took it on the fly at the sideline near the Bomber 40 and immediately stepped out of bounds. From my vantage point in the stadium, it appeared that the punt would have been OB on the fly at our 40ish. Had he let it go out, a 10 yard penalty to Lions would have been called, I believe.

Legghio still having convert issues is a major concern, especially with similar if not worse conditions expected for the Big Game. However, a friend who watched the game at home, claims that replays show that the first convert attempt was good. (I haven't checked.)

I also agree about the officiating. I would imagine that yesterday's WF officiating crew won't be assigned the Grey Cup game.

Thanks. Let's hope on Collaros. Not much more to be done on our end, just sit and hope there. It all sounds fine right now. On the other perspective, sometimes the cold and hard turf can make things feel worse than they are. We all saw hope Rourke looked like 80-90% healthy in West Semi, but he could barely make it on and off the field in the cold in Winnipeg a week later. So maybe it was just a stinger. His post-game did make it sound like if the Bombers had any intention to throw the ball, Collaros would have been back out there.

Darby's been nice but Im still not sold that it was a massive difference from Rutledge? Lawrence has been a nice reclamation so far a few games in, just getting Holm out of the starting lineup however they could is the biggest difference. Lawrence likely moves to a backup role if Demerio Houston is healthy by next week, he almost made it in this week. I'm actually more worried about Clements right now than Collaros (not in terms of impact but more seriously like he might not play). That cheap shot from Chung at the end of the game was nasty, he may be out. Losing him to go back to Gauthier would likely be a field day for Argo's RB's.

Grant's problem is always getting the ball in his hands haha. Once it's there, you are often in for a show. Getting the ball to his hands...that is sometimes quite entertaining/heartbreaking. I remember the punt your talking about, my fiancee said the same thing. In a vacuum, I agree with you on that one. But there were several factors why I was ok with it there. Once you've committed to catching the ball, stopping yourself can be tricky. Alot of times when returners try that it hits them and bounces to an opponant. Where the game was at, that was the one thing they couldn't afford. Ideally yes he probably should have let it go, but it's hard to predict exactly where it comes down and I think he was worried about it bouncing just in bounds and either hit him or roll a bunch further downfield. So he just committed to preserving the field position. With his fumble trouble, I was OK with the decision.

Yeah I don't know about Liegghio. His distance seems short all the time, but he's shown he can hit 50+ yarders as well. IDK, but really it's too late for anything else. Like it or lump it, he'll be the leg we'll be using this week. Hope for the best.

Oliviera did win this game. So pumped for our shot at a 3 peat.

Thanks Holden, if I ever meet you in person I will buy you a beer in payment for your investigative reporting. :) (If beer is your drink).

Much appreciated. Nothing investigative lol I just love talking Bombers, especially the finer details which I get here. Talking in person with people is cool, but then I remember 95% of people don't follow close enough to even know our entire starting roster, so it's nice to come here with a bunch of people like me that obsess over small details haha. Honestly if I was younger I'd probably be one of those guys with podcasts, but here I am all old fashioned and I like the written word.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
On my BC trip I had to listen to BC fans tell me how much trouble the Bombers were going to be in the playoffs if they had to face the Lions. Never mind the Bombers were playing a back up Qb and missing many starters and still holding there own. Last night I thought about those dummies and had a good laugh
They got TSNed.

We see this phenomenon a lot when it comes to Torontonians and their local hockey club, the Maple Leafs. TSN, Sportsnet, and the local and national sports media goes on and on and on about how great the team is, routinely overestimating the prowess of the team and its players. This creates lofty, often unreasonable, expectations for the team from their fans.

TSN has been beating the same drum for so long regarding a certain quarterback, it’s not surprising you observed some Lions fans exhibiting symptoms of TSNitis.

As such, I’ve also already seen some suggesting they’re heavy favourites for next year’s Grey Cup, and that it is pretty likely they’ll be looking for back-to-back championships on home field in the 2024 Grey Cup.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I know it's much after-the-fact and moot but I had a look at the replay of the first Bomber convert attempt. Darn, it looked good to my eyes, just inside the the right-side post. However, camera angles can be a factor and Legghio didn't seem to argue the point so who knows? Let's hope he can get his act together and come through on Sunday. I have to admit he could be our Achilles heel (foot). Fingers (and toes) crossed.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
"Ladies and gentlllllllllemen, Snowkiddin on the Maracaaaaaaaas!!!"

200w.webp
snowkiddin you taking these with you? Asking as there's a way bigger chance I watch 1/2 time with yer maracas than wth's scheduled.

maracas or not 1/2 time or postgame should u rush field and uh have problems I'll chip in on your bail... if your hotel doesn't work voila overnight accommodations - not encouraging nefarious activities but stuff happens😁

• Haha
Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Rourke working out with NFL teams (I think next month?). Pretty big hit to BC’s drive for back-to-back titles when they host in 2024 if he gets around down there.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Rourke working out with NFL teams (I think next month?). Pretty big hit to BC’s drive for back-to-back titles when they host in 2024 if he gets around down there.
He'll have a tough time getting someone in the NFL to bite. He's on the very small side for what NFL teams look for nowadays. It's silly, really, as I think he could be really good on an NFL field with a couple years of NFL backup and practice reps.

Reactions: rkp and snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He'll have a tough time getting someone in the NFL to bite. He's on the very small side for what NFL teams look for nowadays. It's silly, really, as I think he could be really good on an NFL field with a couple years of NFL backup and practice reps.
His inability to deal with the crowd on the weekend is another thing that might hurt him.

But we’ll see. Even if he gets a practice roster spot I’d assume he’s as good as gone.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
I apologize if this isn't allowed but I have two GC tickets for sale in section 132 for less than face value. If anyone is interested feel free to PM me.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He's 6'2" 210lbs. He has plenty of size.

The concern with him coming out of Ohio was accuracy, particularly whether he could throw accurately and consistently from the pocket. I think he mostly answered those questions this year.

The only reason I think he may stay is he's having to do these workouts injured. NFL places alot of emphasis on measurables (40 time, release time, bench press reps, etc). Sometimes they get so bogged down in numbers, they can't see the forest through the trees when identifying just football talent.

On the other hand, the reports I'm seeing has two dozen teams already inquiring. When a player generates interest like that, I've never seen them NOT sign a deal.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He's 6'2" 210lbs. He has plenty of size.

The concern with him coming out of Ohio was accuracy, particularly whether he could throw accurately and consistently from the pocket. I think he mostly answered those questions this year.

The only reason I think he may stay is he's having to do these workouts injured. NFL places alot of emphasis on measurables (40 time, release time, bench press reps, etc). Sometimes they get so bogged down in numbers, they can't see the forest through the trees when identifying just football talent.

On the other hand, the reports I'm seeing has two dozen teams already inquiring. When a player generates interest like that, I've never seen them NOT sign a deal.
Even if he no one offers him anything right away, he’ll hang out down there waiting until at least next pre-season trying to catch on, so he’s likely not playing in the CFL next year regardless.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I think Rourke has a hell of a chance to get on an NFL practice roster, game day might be tougher but some team will see potential and give him an offer. Question is does he want to be someone's project or does he want to get more experience in the CFL and try again next year.

Inanna

Liberal Arts Instructor
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Barrie, ON
I think Rourke has a hell of a chance to get on an NFL practice roster, game day might be tougher but some team will see potential and give him an offer. Question is does he want to be someone's project or does he want to get more experience in the CFL and try again next year.
Given the salaries in the NFL, even on the practice roster, he will make more money sitting on the bench in America than playing on the field in Canada. The life of an athlete is short; it might be hard to pass up making a lot of money with which to bankroll his post-football career.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Given the salaries in the NFL, even on the practice roster, he will make more money sitting on the bench in America than playing on the field in Canada. The life of an athlete is short; it might be hard to pass up making a lot of money with which to bankroll his post-football career.
Like I said he may want to be a project he is nowhere ready to be an NFL starting qb atm, yes the allure of money is a big factor but if he came back and had another dominating season like he was doing before he got hurt he might garner more attention down south and actually get a bigger ticket

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Like I said he may want to be a project he is nowhere ready to be an NFL starting qb atm, yes the allure of money is a big factor but if he came back and had another dominating season like he was doing before he got hurt he might garner more attention down south and actually get a bigger ticket
I think I’d take the contract now if I were him. Can’t get much better than making six figures (especially USD vs. CAD, plus lower income taxes) to sit on a bench and practice. Low risk of injury, still making good coin. If he gets onto a game day roster as a backup for a season or two he’ll also be covered by the NFL’s pension.

He could come back here again but he could get hurt again and miss the season. Or he could take a step back as more and more teams learn his tendencies and get film on him. And if the CFL lets the Lions get him out of his rookie deal and pay him more, then he won’t have near the same talent around him, and could take a step back. If I were him, and there’s NFL money on the table, I’m taking it and running. Give me the sure thing.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Even if he no one offers him anything right away, he’ll hang out down there waiting until at least next pre-season trying to catch on, so he’s likely not playing in the CFL next year regardless.

He's signed in CFL for next year. So he can't do that. If he's not signed in NFL by a deadline (I think it's around Feb 1, just before FA in CFL opens) he is locked in to be back in CFL.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He's signed in CFL for next year. So he can't do that. If he's not signed in NFL by a deadline (I think it's around Feb 1, just before FA in CFL opens) he is locked in to be back in CFL.
I wonder if anything changes if the CFL let’s him out of his rookie contract? I know there’s been talk of that.

It’s a slippery slope if they start doing things like that, but gotta figure they’ll do everything possible to keep him north of the border. His rookie deal obviously doesn’t compare to anything NFL-related.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Rourke could throw for 8k yards and 75 TDs next year and it won't change the NFL's opinion on him, IMO. They don't care all that much about CFL stats, if you're coming from CFL you have to fight tooth and nail to get on a roster. Waiting won't help any, IMO.

I'll out and say it. I think Rourke RIGHT NOW is better than Mitch Trubisky. Hands down. Trubisky was the day 1 starter for the Steelers. The only thing that would hold him back from being on a roster somewhere is backwards coaches too afraid to take on a CFL player. I'm not saying Rourke is ready to step in and lead an NFL franchise. But he is still young for a QB, and could certainly compete. Did anyone watch Malik Willis, the Titans #2 try to throw the ball? He made Chris Streveler look like Tom f***ing Brady from the pocket. The attitudes in the NFL are changing, but very slowly. He's going to have to pick his team very carefully but he can compete down there on rosters, with upside to some day be a starter.

Reactions: jetsforever

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I wonder if anything changes if the CFL let’s him out of his rookie contract? I know there’s been talk of that.

It’s a slippery slope if they start doing things like that, but gotta figure they’ll do everything possible to keep him north of the border. His rookie deal obviously doesn’t compare to anything NFL-related.

Lions will let him go if he asks. They can't risk pissing him off, IMO. Is getting one more year of a then disgruntled angry person not particularly motivated to help the team worth potentially losing him for a decade if he flames out of the NFL? I can't imagine anyone would be that stupid, IMO.

The Bombers could have kept Kongbo after 2019. There was no NFL window that year and he was under contract for 2020 (nobody had heard of COVID 19 in December 2019). They did him a solid in 2019 by letting him go to NFL. He tried out for 49ers in 2020. Didn't make it. Where is he in 2021? Back in Blue and Gold.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Lions will let him go if he asks. They can't risk pissing him off, IMO. Is getting one more year of a then disgruntled angry person not particularly motivated to help the team worth potentially losing him for a decade if he flames out of the NFL? I can't imagine anyone would be that stupid, IMO.

The Bombers could have kept Kongbo after 2019. There was no NFL window that year and he was under contract. They did him a solid in 2019 by letting him go to NFL (this was pre-COVID shutdown). He tried out for 49ers in 2020. Didn't make it. Where is he in 2021? Back in Blue and Gold.
Yes, yes — but I heard on one of the podcasts I listen to that there’s talk that the CFL will let the Lions restructure his contract so he’s making $500k plus next season, instead of whatever this rookie contract is (I think they said it’s $80k?). I guess the idea is he’d be more likely to stay here as a star and making $500k+ compared to sitting on a practice squad and making whatever it is they make (I think $250k? I could be wrong).

Reactions: rkp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad