Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snizzbone*

This makes the Battle of Ontario very interesting down the line haha.

Dion is a great guy, don't dummy him like we did.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's ridiculously obvious that the Leafs are clearing the decks for Stamkos. I didn't believe the Stamkos to Toronto chatter at first, but this intensifies it tremendously.

I actually hope that Jared Cowen finds his way in Toronto. I don't hold any bitterness towards him, and wish it had worked out for him here. It won't be a loss to the Sens even if he does develop in Toronto, as it was clear that he needed a change of scenery in order to have any chance of turning it around.

will be hilarious when the clear all this space and then he does not go there.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I really don't like the term to his contract. I think it's going to bite us in the butt eventually.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I also like that Phaneuf comes with a bit of toughness, or at least a willingness to be tough when needed, like him or not. Cowen never had that mean streak that we always wanted/needed...

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This move adds additional salary to their cap until next season. Not the greatest time to be adding money.

The problem Toronto had adding Stamkos was their long term cap situation and not their short one. Moving Phaneuf facilitates signing Stamkos long term by maintaining a healthy cap situation in Toronto until the next decade.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Ultimately I think you guys will be happy with this deal, at least for the next few years. I've always been pro-Phaneuf. He's overpaid, yes, but only by 500k-1M and I still think he is a #2, maybe a #3. He's solid on the PP and is putting up great points this year. He's been much better this season under Babs, as long as your coach doesn't use him as if he's a #1 and put him against the toughest comp. every night then he should be fine.

I'm hoping he does well with you guys. It'll be so weird to see Dion Phaneuf wearing an Ottawa Senators jersey, that's for sure.

Tremblay31

Jun 18, 2011
Germany
Wooow i think its a good Deal for us:handclap:

Like Phaneuf as a 2/3 defender

Hard to see Milo go liked him all the time :pout:

The lose of Lindberg could hurt us but i can life with it :(

But so happy Cowen and Greening are gone in one Trade :nod:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Sad to lose Lindberg, he probably ends up the best player in this deal.

I'm thinking the same thing. Phaneuf is not the guy he was 10 years ago.

He can eat minutes, so that should provide some relief, but I'm not really confident in how much else he can contribute.

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
Now that I've finally let it all sink in, I really like this deal (not saying I didn't at first). Our D has been our Achilles heel this entire season and getting Phaneuf will certainly shore that up, especially considering he will likely play on the second pairing and not have the pressure of wearing C on his chest. I can easily see him doing better here than he did in Toronto. I'm sad to see Michalek and Lindberg go, but it doesn't beat getting rid of Cowen and Greening in the same deal. Very happy with this move going forward. :nod:

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I really don't like the term to his contract. I think it's going to bite us in the butt eventually.

Think of it this way - his cap hit is irrelevant as the Sens won't ever sniff the cap.

The next couple of years he should be a good (if overpaid) player. The last couple of years could be bad but not much worse than what we experienced with Cowen etc. One "bad" contract for a couple of years won't break the team.

You could also move him to a team trying to hit the cap floor cheaply as his salary will be less than his cap hit.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
It's clear we are in win now mode even though we still are closer to winning anything than before. That contract is going to be terrible in a couple of years. Oh well, at least Greening and Cowen are gone.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
My eyes exploded when i saw that we aquired Celine Dion, but when i saw the return i guess it's a good deal.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I want phaneuf on the 1st pairing.

Phaneuf - EK (25 min)
Methot - Ceci (20 min)
Boro/Weir/Wideman (15 min)

beautiful.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Murray just mentioned that Lou called him about another player and Phaneuf's name came about. What do you wanna bet that original player was Kadri?

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
We got rid of garbage we've been looking to get rid of forever for a piece that we've been needing forever. Plus this now opens up a spot for Prince. Great trade.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Hey guys. Play Dion less than 23 minutes a game and he is a very good player.

You got a very very good #2 or 3 dman.

Good luck.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It's clear we are in win now mode even though we still are closer to winning anything than before. That contract is going to be terrible in a couple of years. Oh well, at least Greening and Cowen are gone.

His salary goes down over years though. If we have to buy him out later in the deal it wing cost huge money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad