Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 44s44 seconds ago
Phaneuf will likely start with Ceci. "He's going to play lots," says Cameron. #Sens

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That contract is going to be terrible in a couple of years.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as a lot of people thin it is... we probably aren't a cap ceiling team, so his cap hit is kind of irrelevant.

The last three years of the contract, his 34/35/36 year old seasons, pay out at $6.5/$6.5/$5.5. That is the going rate for guys with his skill.

He's physical, but I wouldn't consider his contract to be bad in the same way as Brooks Orpik's, where their bodies just start failing before they hit 35. I think he'll age well until the end of this contract.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I'm ok with this trade, fills an area of dire need for the team. Phaneuf might make a lot but at least we'll be paying him to play instead of to sit. Money better spent.

Since BM is working miracles today, I anxiously await to see what magic he uses on someone to remove Wiercioch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sad to lose Lindberg, he probably ends up the best player in this deal.

I agree with you, it seems we gave up quite a bit to get an older left shot defenceman who will help for a few yrs until Chabot is ready to take that spot, it does help our defence, no question about that. The other guys in the deal from Toronto will probably never get out of the AHL, I guess we'll see. I had high hopes for Cowen too but it was obvious he just didn't seem smart enough to play, hopefully he doesn't all of a sudden find his game in TO. I would also hope he doesn't kick the **** out of our players in future, he was second to Neil in fighting ability IMO & had a height advantage on Boro, although we rarely saw him drop the gloves. The acquisition of Phaneuf I think puts Wiercioch on the bench & back into the trade talks.

I also regret losing Michalek & especially Lindberg although it remains to be seen what we have in him. Obviously Luke may not have thought as much of him as some of us considering he benched him a few times, hard to know. I didn't think Phaneuf was worth this much but at the same time BM got rid of a few of his problems especially Greening. I think this makes Ottawa better immediately & may not hurt too much in future depending on what Lindberg becomes & who they get for that 2nd rd pick. This certainly gives our LWers something to strive for with Michalek gone. Wednesday night's game just got a lot more interesting.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey guys. Play Dion less than 23 minutes a game and he is a very good player.

You got a very very good #2 or 3 dman.

Good luck.

That is exactly what we want from him.

We already have our big hoss in Karlsson, and a d-partner who works with him on the 1st pair in Methot.

Phaneuf will anchor the 2nd pair, and let Ceci finally have the comfort room to develop, instead of being scared to play his game because he knows that his d-partner is AHL-quality.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Look dion is 30 years old
Don't worry about his contract 5 years from now
Dion is a workout monster
He will give you 20/22 minutes a night
40 points a year
An absolute bomb from the point on the pp
He is probably the best open ice hitter in the league
Don't listen to the bad mouthing a few leafs fans will tell you
Will he make mistakes of course
EK makes mistakes
Anybody playing that many minutes against quality competition will

In my opinion you stole him

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Didn't see this coming but it's good to have Phaneuf here. We needed a defenseman like him in a big way. Wishing Michalek, Greening, Cowen and Lindberg all the best with Toronto.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm ok with this trade, fills an area of dire need for the team. Phaneuf might make a lot but at least we'll be paying him to play instead of to sit. Money better spent.

Since BM is working miracles today, I anxiously await to see what magic he uses on someone to remove Wiercioch.

Man, if they walk away from Wiercioch in the summer they can totally remake the defence from the disaster it has been this season.

I guess everyone will have to hate on Phaneuf as he will be the only "bad" contract on the team.

dannynl

Apr 11, 2015
I'm optimistic about this trade! Glad to see Cowan and Greening out the door. A bit sad to see Michalek go, but he was very injury prone. Best of luck to him though!

When I saw the headline "Phaneuf to Ottawa in a 9-player deal", I almost had a heart attack because I thought a Hoffman, Lazar, Ceci, ect was going to Toronto.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Yeah, but how much confidence do you have that we will buy him out? Murray wasn't even allowed to buyout Greening.

I wouldn't worry too much about what they will or will not to do in a situation that may or may not happen 3-4 years from now.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I agree with you, it seems we gave up quite a bit to get an older left shot defenceman who will help for a few yrs until Chabot is ready to take that spot, it does help our defence, no question about that. The other guys in the deal from Toronto will probably never get out of the AHL, I guess we'll see. I had high hopes for Cowen too but it was obvious he just didn't seem smart enough to play, hopefully he doesn't all of a sudden find his game in TO. I would also hope he doesn't kick the **** out of our players in future, he was second to Neil in fighting ability IMO & had a height advantage on Boro, although we rarely saw him drop the gloves. The acquisition of Phaneuf I think puts Wiercioch on the bench & back into the trade talks.

I also regret losing Michalek & especially Lindberg although it remains to be seen what we have in him. Obviously Luke may not have thought as much of him as some of us considering he benched him a few times, hard to know. I didn't think Phaneuf was worth this much but at the same time BM got rid of a few of his problems especially Greening. I think this makes Ottawa better immediately & may not hurt too much in future depending on what Lindberg becomes & who they get for that 2nd rd pick. This certainly gives our LWers something to strive for with Michalek gone. Wednesday night's game just got a lot more interesting.

Yah, but Phaneuf is big.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
There's a side benefit to the trade. As a result of moving salary, the Sens will be in a much better position to make a deal with Hoffman this summer.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
HFSens posters yesterday: "Why is everyone complaining that the budget is the problem when we've sunk so much money into plugs like Cowen, Greening and Michalek, and we could be using that money on a legit #2 defenceman who plays the left side?!? :rant:"

HFSens posters today: "I... uh... Hm. Ok then."

lol
I'd like to see this post but with a sens fan performing an epic spit take.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This doesn't mean much but the Hockey Central guys are singing high praises for Dion in the locker room. Lou apparently was surprised when he came to the Leafs at how great he was in that captain/locker room guy etc.

That's good to hear. A veteran voice on the blue line is a welcome addition.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I find it incredibly shocking that you were able to zero in on the negatives of this trade so quickly. It's so unlike you.

Well do you we want to chase 8th for the next few seasons until Phaneuf's decline, or did we want to grow into something better with more cap flexibility after the Greening, Michalek, Cowen deals ran out? I don't think Phaneuf is going to magically turn this team into something better. Maybe some improvement, but certainly not a contender. Whatever though, we'll see what happens, I hope its better than I'm expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad