Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
Now replace Neil with Frattin and we have great speed in bottom 6. I wonder which of Boro or Wier will sit now or will they scratch wideman?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Phaneuf won't have the pressure on him so much. I believe he'll be a great fit. Always liked him as a player even though the 'SUCKIT PHANEUF!' thing is still funny.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well do you we want to chase 8th for the next few seasons until Phaneuf's decline, or did we want to grow into something better with more cap flexibility after the Greening, Michalek, Cowen deals ran out? I don't think Phaneuf is going to magically turn this team into something better. Maybe some improvement, but certainly not a contender.

Well, if we play like we did the past 2 games + Phaneuf we might make a run. We may still not make the playoffs because we dug ourselves a hole, but Phaneuf is even a good acquisition for next season. With Methot and Phaneuf we actually have two physical top 4 Dmen.

Either way, I am excited to see how it plays out! I wonder if I should wear a blank Sens jersey tomorrow night to the game with "Phaneuf" duct tape on it. :laugh:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Phaneuf is going to improve here, I have zero doubts about that. He is going to be in a position to succeed rather than be thrown to the wolves.

It also eases Karlsson's minutes 3-5 a game.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Don't like trading with Toronto. At all.
But is our team a bunch better now? Yes.
Happy milo, greening are gone of course. Cowen, I'm not sure. Would rather he went west. Lindberg stings a bit.

Guess I'll watch the game tomorrow!

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
lol
I'd like to see this post but with a sens fan performing an epic spit take.

Except then you realize in order to do this the Sens jettisoned over $10 million in salary between Cowen, Michalek, and Greening.

I like this deal, it improves the D a lot. But let's be honest, it still required a ton of money going the other way.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully this rejuvenates Phaneuf, he's actually been playing pretty well this year, only 30 years old, new energy, fresh start, less pressure.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Good Phaneuf will be put in a spot where he might actually be able to succeed and that will help Ottawa big time

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well do you we want to chase 8th for the next few seasons until Phaneuf's decline, or did we want to grow into something better with more cap flexibility after the Greening, Michalek, Cowen deals ran out? I don't think Phaneuf is going to magically turn this team into something better. Maybe some improvement, but certainly not a contender.

What was the ONE thing this fanbase has been harping on the team to acquire to move them away from the constant mediocrity of finishing between 7th and 9th?!?

A LEGIT 2nd pairing defenceman.

Guess what, Murray went out and got one. And in the process, dumped two awful contracts that were always pointed to as huge negatives of his tenure as GM.

What the **** were we going to spend that cap space on if we let Greening and Cowen's contracts pass?!? Ottawa is NOT a free agent destination. There wasn't going to be a line-up of guys wanting to play in a small market.

Does this make us a contender? Maybe, maybe not. But even in the short term, this does wonders for our defence because it alleviates the pressures on guys like Ceci and it moves Weircoch down into a servicable 5-6 pairing with Boro. That alone improves our defence ten fold and actually does make us more of a legitimate hockey team.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Another good thing about this is that it gives us time to evaluate the bottom pairing. I feel like the Sens are unlikely to qualify Wiercioch unless he shows marked improvement, so maybe we ship him off somewhere for a forward before the deadline.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
CaykJ8-WAAAvOkA.jpg

hockeycoach

Jan 20, 2006
SenCity
I want phaneuf on the 1st pairing.

Phaneuf - EK (25 min)
Methot - Ceci (20 min)
Boro/Weir/Wideman (15 min)

beautiful.

maybe on the PP
Methot and Karlsson are unbeatable (most of the time)
Phaneuf and Cecci so Cecci can cover for the occasional Dion brain cramp until he learns our system.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Phaneuf will not be thrown to the wolves here with no support, he makes a lot of $ but for all the times I whinned wanting a top 4 dman you can be damn sure I won't say a thing now. I think and hope he'll be a good fit. He's not the go to guy and we finaly have someone to help Ceci! He hits, has a bomb of a shot and he's a leader, pretty happy. I liked Michalek a lot and like Karlsson I am sad he's gone.

Pretty pumped about that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One of the nice side benefits of this trade:

Nobody will complain about Cowen, Greening, or Michalek`s contracts anymore.

Now, if we can move Neil Wier and Chiasson for Drouin, Murray`s golden statue can finally be commissioned to grace the new site of a Sens arena at lebreton flats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad