Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Big deal in terms of $$$.

Hopefully Phaneuf tightens up our D, but he is no all-star.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 2m2 minutes ago
"We're excited to get him." - MacArthur on the #Sens acquiring Phaneuf

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
In the last two major trades the Leafs made, they jettisoned the two most overrated players in the NHL: Kessel and Phaneuf.

What in the world was Ottawa thinking? Phaneuf will not help the Senators. Good luck Sens. You're going to need it.

So you know nothing about the Sens? Okay, noted

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First, the tough parts:

Lindberg was a great prospect and may well develop into a solid top six NHL winger. He was one of the few decent prospects we had down in Bingo, so that stings a bit.

I also understand Karlsson's reaction as I liked Michalek too. He is a good character guy, good skater, always gave the team everything he had without complaint. He'll be missed in the dressing room, and I liked his versatility up front. I thought he was an underrated player.

Still, though, giving up a character veteran forward, a prospect, and two absolute dead weights in order to get the top four defenceman we absolutely had to have? No brainer. This team was going absolutely nowhere without another veteran top four defenceman - everyone knew it. What's worse, as many others have pointed out, we were wasting Erik Karlsson's prime while our team limped along with an obvious hole. Well, we just patched it big time. This is a great hockey trade, one you wish we could have made a month ago before that ugly swoon put us in a huge hole in the playoff chase.

Are we overpaying Phaneuf? Absolutely, but we absolutely HAD to have a player like that if this team had any prayer of ever making some noise in the playoffs. Therefore, you suck it up and pay the price.

I think Phaneuf will thrive here without the "C" on his chest and just being another piece in our top four. An important piece, no doubt, but he doesn't have to be "the guy" anymore. He can just be, "a guy", much like Spezza has thrived in Dallas by no longer being the prime focus.

You watch how much better Cody Ceci will look with a veteran partner, be it Methot or Phaneuf, and you watch how much better our goaltending starts to look. (Yes, I've been critical of our goalies during the swoon, but I recognize that it was hardly all on them.) This is exciting in that we have a legitimate reason to believe that this team can now be in contention going down the stretch, and for the next few years...

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Congrats guys! From the outside looking in, this is amazing. I know I've had discussions with a few of you about defensive help behind EK; from a Kings perspective, trust me, having a #2-#3 guy that can eat minutes makes EVERYTHING different, especially since the top-4 is now essentially interchangeable (I.e. EK-DP/MM-CC can be EK-MM/DP-CC without skipping a beat). Karlsson's minutes won't approach 35, and Phaneuf should be much more effective in a supportive role playing less minutes as well.

I think the awesomeness of this for the Sens is being understated elsewhere; when we got Voynov in a role where he could play 23-24 minutes, we caught absolute fire. When he departed, well, we've been trying to plug holes in the ship repeatedly ever since. There's a reason GMs are cuckoo over guys like this right now. Congrats, should be a fun ride, and I'm looking forward to watching it some more!

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
First, the tough parts:

Lindberg was a great prospect and may well develop into a solid top six NHL winger. He was one of the few decent prospects we had down in Bingo, so that stings a bit.

I also understand Karlsson's reaction as I liked Michalek too. He is a good character guy, good skater, always gave the team everything he had without complaint. He'll be missed in the dressing room, and I liked his versatility up front. I thought he was an underrated player.

Still, though, giving up a character veteran forward, a prospect, and two absolute dead weights in order to get the top four defenceman we absolutely had to have? No brainer. This team was going absolutely nowhere without another veteran top four defenceman - everyone knew it. What's worse, as many others have pointed out, we were wasting Erik Karlsson's prime while our team limped along with an obvious hole. Well, we just patched it big time. This is a great hockey trade, one you wish we could have made a month ago before that ugly swoon put us in a huge hole in the playoff chase.

Are we overpaying Phaneuf? Absolutely, but we absolutely HAD to have a player like that if this team had any prayer of ever making some noise in the playoffs. Therefore, you suck it up and pay the price.

I think Phaneuf will thrive here without the "C" on his chest and just being another piece in our top four. An important piece, no doubt, but he doesn't have to be "the guy" anymore. He can just be, "a guy", much like Spezza has thrived in Dallas by no longer being the prime focus.

You watch how much better Cody Ceci will look with a veteran partner, be it Methot or Phaneuf, and you watch how much better our goaltending starts to look. (Yes, I've been critical of our goalies during the swoon, but I recognize that it was hardly all on them.) This is exciting in that we have a legitimate reason to believe that this team can now be in contention going down the stretch, and for the next few years...
Good points! We get rid of dead weight salary in Cowen and Greening, as well as Michaleks slightly high salary in order to get back a good D man. We can't bash Phaneuf until the guy plays at least 10-20 games in the uniform. Who knows maybe Phaneuf will be revitalized and play better not having to bear all the criticism.

Madskillz65

Nov 17, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Its easy to forget that the cap hit is huge but we obviously arent a cap team. People keep saying that Melnyk is finally spending but his actually salary goes down in 3 years so this is a great deal.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Full names of the scrubs coming from TO, so you can easily search them:

F Matt Frattin, F Casey Bailey, F Ryan Rupert, D Cody Donaghey

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Saw this on the Senators Instagram. My first thought was "It's not April first is it?"

I was legitimately bewildered by it. However, when I saw that we unloaded both Cowen AND GREENING.... HELL YEAH!

Damn good trade. Phaneuf is actually an NHL defenseman, unlike Cowen.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
To me the trade comes down to years 2018-2020 and how we are going to eat his money. Make no mistake, he will not be earning his paycheck during his entire career here but due to how massive our need is we pay what we pay.

Lindberg hurts to lose but anyone could see that Prince and Dzingel are better players so not super tough to lose him. Turning a 4th into an asset is a win for us.

HILARIOUS hearing people calling Cowen an NHL defenceman lol Sorry guys......Sorry...

utah

Apr 12, 2006
I read the headline and I felt kind of nauseous.

Then I read who the Sens traded for Phaneuf, and I got giddy.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
We just dumped:

• Jared Cowen: $3.1 Mil per year until 2017. Healthy scratch.
  • Colin Greening $2.65 per year until 2017. Healthy scratch.
  • Milan Michalek $4 mil per year until end of season. Injuries, Injuries. Injuries.
  • Lindberg $693,0000 until 2018. :(

Last edited:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think I like this but I'm really not sure.

Money wise we dump 11.7 next season but pick up 33 over 5.

I think all of the prospect/AHL stuff is a bit of a wash. We probably gave up a bit more but none of those pieces are that good

It all will depend on whether Phaneuf can be a reliable top 4 long term.

Full marks for creativity though

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
So in essence: we get what we need while offloading bad contracts and help Toronto tank further (if that was already possible). It's BRILLIANT!!!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Full names of the scrubs coming from TO, so you can easily search them:

F Matt Frattin, F Casey Bailey, F Ryan Rupert, D Cody Donaghey

Big fan of Frattin. Think he fell off after the LA swap and never fully recovered, but a good body for Binghamton. Know nothing about Bailey. Rupert is more of a shift-disturber (whose twin brother was not drafted despite playin on the same team. :laugh:) And Donaghey's hard to prognosticate — his career's really just starting up.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Leaf fan here. It's a win win trade for both sides. I wanted him to go to Ottawa as you guys seemed genuinely interested in him and weren't constantly ******** on him and even offering better trade offers then the actual trade.

We're rebuilding and happy to get out of that contract not because of right now but fear of last 2-3 years.

His a quality 2/3 d that will help your d core a lot.

Good trade for both teams.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We just dumped:

• Jared Cowen: $3.1 Mil per year until 2018. Healthy scratch.
  • Colin Greening $2.65 per year until 2017. Healthy scratch.
  • Milan Michalek $4 mil per year until end of season. Injuries, Injuries. Injuries.
  • Lindberg $693,0000 until 2018. :(

I think Milan has one more year after this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad