Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
In the last two major trades the Leafs made, they jettisoned the two most overrated players in the NHL: Kessel and Phaneuf.

What in the world was Ottawa thinking? Phaneuf will not help the Senators. Good luck Sens. You're going to need it.

We were scratching Cowen. Phaneuf will play 20/22 minutes a game quite well.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
In the last two major trades the Leafs made, they jettisoned the two most overrated players in the NHL: Kessel and Phaneuf.

What in the world was Ottawa thinking? Phaneuf will not help the Senators. Good luck Sens. You're going to need it.

:laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I really like this deal for the Sens. Man do I ever think they made out like bandits. Their offence is obviously solid. Their goaltending too. The issue was a top notch LHD. Well they've done it.

Seeing as I live in Ottawa, I'm hoping they go far (since I know my Habs aren't) so I can hopefully see my first live playoff game this year!

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
grumpy old fart

I think it would be better to say Toronto will need good luck they just got Cowen and Greening.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
Has anyone looked at the money involved in the deal?
I actually don't know what all the contracts look like involved.

If we just look at NHL players (ie, Cowen, Michalek & Phaneuf), subtract 8.825 cap hit, add 7.0. On total dollars, we freed up almost exactly half a million dollars.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I have no idea how to feel about this.

On one hand, Murray managed to off-load Greening and Cowen, and managed to get a top 4 D.

On the other, it's Dion Phaneuf...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
HFSens posters yesterday: "Why is everyone complaining that the budget is the problem when we've sunk so much money into plugs like Cowen, Greening and Michalek, and we could be using that money on a legit #2 defenceman who plays the left side?!? :rant:"

HFSens posters today: "I... uh... Hm. Ok then."

hahaahahaha this is so funny and so true.

We got rid of the 3 most complained about contracts, for our biggest need. Cant feel my face!!

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
also protects against an injury to one of karlsson or methot

Ummm, I'm pretty sure if Karlsson goes down we're screwed regardless.

--

As for the trade, Phaneuf's contract sucks donkeyballs, especially the length, but that really only matters if Eugene refuses to get off the "internal budget" talk in a few years. Purely from a hockey value standpoint, this is a good trade for us. Lindberg can become a very good player and the 2nd is a lottery ticket that could backfire, but everything else is either negative assets or in 9MM's case, somebody that we can replace.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Huge win for sens imo. Dions a good #2 great #3. Now we can ease in chabot if we want. Ya his contract might suck in 3 years but easier to buy out 1 contract then multiple. Huge boost on the back end

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Holy dicks, this trade is all kinds of crazy and I love everything about it.

Not even mad that Michalek is gone. We finally have a legit top-2 defenceman on the left side. This fixes SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH OUR TEAM RIGHT NOW, and basically does so at the cost of a #3 winger, a 2nd rounder (whatever), a B-prospect, and two contracts so bad they have cinderblocks tied around their ankles.

Yeah, Phaneuf's contract isn't ideal, but we're sending away Cowen's $4.5mil and Greening's $3.2mil... I mean, right there, saving all that money makes Phaneuf's contract so much easier to swallow.

It makes it easier next year.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Still in a state of disbelief.

Phaneuf is exactly what we need. He doesn't have to be the number 1 guy here and should fit in great. This will make a world of difference on our back end.

My only hope is that we haven't dug ourselves in too much of a hole in regards to the playoff race.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
WOW!! Love this trade. Can't believe we got rid of Greening and Cowen in one deal.

Tough to see Milo go but his usefulness was starting to get to its limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad