Blackhawks sued (again) by teammate of Kyle Beach for sexual assault

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You're right. That part of it is a disadvantage to the safety of the players. But the adverse impact to the players continuing to be exposed to Aldrich is just one element.

When a team gets a key injury during the playoffs, it's a disadvantage. They don't get to make an emergency trade for a comparable replacement player because (among other considerations)curing the disadvantage would, be it's function, be an unfair competitive advantage.

I understand that circumstances are a little different here but I think most would agree that waiting to take action against Aldrich until after the playoffs were over was wrongdoing. Where deprivation of a professional video coach and player distraction that would ensue from an internal investigation would be disadvantages that burden Chicago's ability to compete, foregoing appropriate action to prevent such disadvantages that would have and should have flowed naturally from an appropriate response by the Blackhawks is, in and of itself, an unjust advantage and one that was taken in the interest of competitive goals over the safety and wellbeing of the players.
The team on the ice was exactly as it would have been in the event no crime had ever been committed. The crime had no effect on anything having to do with hockey. Management was absolutely wrong in how they handled it, but there was no competitive advantage emanating from the crime. There simply wasn’t. We can agree to disagree.

Reactions: Doubledose

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The team on the ice was exactly as it would have been in the event no crime had ever been committed. The crime had no effect on anything having to do with hockey. Management was absolutely wrong in how they handled it, but there was no competitive advantage emanating from the crime. There simply wasn’t. We can agree to disagree.
You literally can't prove that because one split in morale or a failure to get focused for one or two games can swing a series.

They had an obligation to do right and didn't so they could keep their players in the dark and win, while working next to an abuser. Period, plain and simple, that's what happened.

Yes, they may have won anyway, but at least nobody would be questioning if that actually made a difference. Instead it's a coverup and fully open to interpretation for competitive advantage. If they didn't want that question asked, they should have just reported it and let their players do well anyway.

Reactions: HanSolo

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Quenneville and Bowman's defense has always been that they were told by McDonough he was taking care of it.

But then you see Aldrich at the Cup parade and with his name on it. Also you have discussions about whose name is going on the Cup prior. Once they were having those discussions they would have again been able to say "hey, what the f*** is going on here?" But they didn't. Which gets rid of that argument.

Sick man.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
But it does.

Doing the right thing at the right time means this comes out at a bad time for the Hawks, which complicates their singular focus. That's why they waited, this is very, very clear from the reports, Quenneville basically says as much point blank and it's well-established territory.

No, it's not the same as just bringing in some illegal high octane free agent, but if you refusing to do the right thing results in your ability to remain competitive when you were genuinely worried it would be a problem you're still breaking rules to be competitive, which is fundamentally the same thing.
So the argument is that by the Blackhawks avoiding distraction, and avoiding the disadvantage of being distracted, that gave them a competitive advantage over another team that was equally focused and not distracted?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
yeah i don't think the blackhawks had a competitive advantage by covering up for a sexual predator who then went on to molest teenagers, but i do think that puts them at a significant moral disadvantage.

Reactions: Doubledose

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
You literally can't prove that because one split in morale or a failure to get focused for one or two games can swing a series.

They had an obligation to do right and didn't so they could keep their players in the dark and win, while working next to an abuser. Period, plain and simple, that's what happened.

Yes, they may have won anyway, but at least nobody would be questioning if that actually made a difference. Instead it's a coverup and fully open to interpretation for competitive advantage. If they didn't want that question asked, they should have just reported it and let their players do well anyway.
What you wrote here is not responsive to my post.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So the argument is that by the Blackhawks avoiding distraction, and avoiding the disadvantage of being distracted, that gave them a competitive advantage over another team that was equally focused and not distracted?
The argument is that they knew a crime took place and didn't want to take immediate action because their own coach called it a "distraction", which does in fact mean that his main concern was that it would have the team focused on things other than winning a cup.

In a 7 game series that can be all you need, so yes. Failing to report an actual f***ing crime gave them an advantage that other teams are not considering.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
yeah i don't think the blackhawks had a competitive advantage by covering up for a sexual predator who then went on to molest teenagers, but i do think that puts them at a significant moral disadvantage.
Yeah, don't think you'll find anyone arguing against that.

Reactions: AzHawk

Putt Pirate

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2015
I am just here to see how many posts say the Hawks should lose specifically last year's draft pick. Which, nobody cared about until Bedard was drafted.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Sens had forfeit a 1st rounder for something very minor, but the Blackhawks get a slap on the wrist for hiding a criminal act and on top of that they win the lottery in get Bedard, yeah tell me the NHL is fair???

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
it's a competitive advantage when you cover up wrongdoing. Because the ethical and legal obligation is to disclose it. So if you decide not to play by the rules -- whether that's someone embezzling money from the popcorn stand, failing to disclose a "no trade" list, or affirmatively covering up the sexual depredations of a staff member on your players -- you have gained a competitive advantage over every team that didn't do those things or cover up those things.

Reactions: Bocephus86 and HTFN

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Of course it is, you're just f***ing around.
It wasn’t responsive at all. What I said was that the Blackhawks performance and the ice was exactly as it would have been, if no crime had ever been committed. you responded with “you have no way of knowing this, because if they had reported the crime, it might have messed them up even one or two games”. As I said, that wasn’t responsive to what I had written.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
it's a competitive advantage when you cover up wrongdoing. Because the ethical and legal obligation is to disclose it. So if you decide not to play by the rules -- whether that's someone embezzling money from the popcorn stand, failing to disclose a "no trade" list, or affirmatively covering up the sexual depredations of a staff member on your players -- you have gained a competitive advantage over every team that didn't do those things or cover up those things.
I mean, think of it this way:

If not for a competitive advantage what other reason does anybody have to sweep it under the rug? Sympathy?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
this is correct. and avoiding the distraction by not disclosing it means that you're maintaining the advantage so your players are focused.

i am merely making a joke to point out how competition is seen as somehow equal to morality. it really isn't. there are more important things than a bunch of dudes chasing a rubber disc.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It wasn’t responsive at all. What I said was that the Blackhawks performance and the ice was exactly as it would have been, if no crime had ever been committed. you responded with “you have no way of knowing this, because if they had reported the crime, it might have messed them up even one or two games”. As I said, that wasn’t responsive to what I had written.
It's directly related, what the actual f*** are you talking about? You're pretending there's some fantasy world where because Beach didn't play it didn't matter. I'm telling you if it was revealed in the right time, there's no guarantee that the rostered Blackhawks would have played the same way, especially if they're answering questions in the media about a potential sexual assault. This isn't a computer program where Aldrich being a video coach and Beach being a black ace means they don't matter for the simulation.

It's bullshit through and through and you know it.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I am just here to see how many posts say the Hawks should lose specifically last year's draft pick. Which, nobody cared about until Bedard was drafted.
Love goalpost shifts like this. Of course there's more scrutiny on them getting Bedard. When the Blackhawks only suffer a 2 million dollar fine as a sanction from the league and then through happenstance end up with the Bedard selection, a pick that will net them exponentially more income than 2 million dollars, it reeks of bullshit. I don't believe the draft was rigged in their favor. They had the third best odds. But to me, there isn't a team in the league that deserved him less.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
The argument is that they knew a crime took place and didn't want to take immediate action because their own coach called it a "distraction", which does in fact mean that his main concern was that it would have the team focused on things other than winning a cup.

In a 7 game series that can be all you need, so yes. Failing to report an actual f***ing crime gave them an advantage that other teams are not considering.
Let’s say a coach makes sure they were all in bed by 8 PM to avoid distractions and get a good night’s sleep, instead of hanging out all night and drinking at titty bars. Is that an unfair competitive advantage? Obviously, there is nothing morally wrong with the early curfew, as opposed to what actually happened, but the point is that a team being focused is not a competitive advantage. It simply isn’t. Chicago management had an enormous moral failing. No one’s disagreeing with that. Didn’t change anything on the Ice.

It's directly related, what the actual f*** are you talking about? You're pretending there's some fantasy world where because Beach didn't play it didn't matter. I'm telling you if it was revealed in the right time, there's no guarantee that the rostered Blackhawks would have played the same way, especially if they're answering questions in the media about a potential sexual assault. This isn't a computer program where Aldrich being a video coach and Beach being a black ace means they don't matter for the simulation.

It's bullshit through and through and you know it.
You are again not reading what I wrote. I explained it to you twice. If you want you can go back and read it again.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Let’s say a coach makes sure they were all in bed by 8 PM to avoid distractions and get a good night’s sleep, instead of hanging out all night and drinking at titty bars. Is that an unfair competitive advantage? Obviously, there is nothing morally wrong with the early curfew, as opposed to what actually happened, but the point is that a team being focused is not a competitive advantage. It simply isn’t. Chicago management had an enormous moral failing. No one’s disagreeing with that. Didn’t change anything on the Ice.
Then why are you bringing it up? What a bullshit way to shift the conversation.

That's not making headlines or sending anyone to prison. f*** out of here.

Straight up looking like an apologist a this point, my guy. Rationalize how Q would call it a distraction then. Explain waiting and keeping fully silent until Beach had to say something. You don't think maybe they wanted to keep winning and pretend it never happened? It's trash top to bottom.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Then why are you bringing it up? What a bullshit way to shift the conversation.

That's not making headlines or sending anyone to prison. f*** out of here.

Straight up looking like an apologist a this point, my guy.
Then learn how to logically follow an argument. Don’t know what else to tell you.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
If the Hawks really believed that dealing with the issue immediately would have no negative influence on their play then there would be no reason for them to not do it.

Pretty clearly they believed that having to change their video coach and having to bring another up to speed while the team played with media, fan and player attention deflecting attention from on-ice performance might have had a negative impact on their play.

It would be mere semantics to claim that avoiding a possible disadvantage is not the same thing as having a competitive advantage. Avoiding a competitive disadvantage is an advantage, not compared with the position of other teams but the position the team would otherwise be in.

Reactions: HTFN

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
this is correct. and avoiding the distraction by not disclosing it means that you're maintaining the advantage so your players are focused.

i am merely making a joke to point out how competition is seen as somehow equal to morality. it really isn't. there are more important things than a bunch of dudes chasing a rubber disc.
Amen.

And I believe this applies to the NHL more broadly. They wanted Bedard in Chicago in a major way, so that all this ugliness could put behind them, and a crucial market could be excited again. It's both tedious and heartening to see that HFBoards will neither forgive nor forget that shameful episode.

• Love
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad