Buffalo Bills Bills Offseason: SI Cover Swag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm actually just the opposite on this. Henderson is very athletic and has upside to improve. Chris Williams isn't very good when healthy and he'll be coming off a back injury that shelved him for most of last season.

Williams was actually pretty decent in his two games last season. It was after he got hurt that we went from top rushing team in the NFL to abysmal. But still, only 2 games :laugh:

I'm just not a Henderson fan at all. I thought he was bad bad bad

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Only three active quarterbacks have attempted at least 1,700 passes, completed worse than 59 percent of their passes and averaged under 6.7 YPA. Two are on the Eagles: Sanchez and Bradford. The other is Matt Cassel.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This was my point as well, and a nuance apparently lost on some. Upgrade talent at FB / H-back / TE in FA now, such that you reduce risk / need to hit the O-line prize in the draft later. Fail to upgrade, and your strategy relies so much more on that 2nd round O-line draft choice contributing in a bigger way.

Manage your plan by managing your risk.

I'm less familiar with Roman's system than others who post here. Do the guards need to pull a lot relative to typical NFL offense? Should BUF be seeking traditional guards / tackles, or players who are clearly fungible and experienced at multiple line positions?

I've heard it said that Roman uses pulling and thus smaller, more athletic guards in comparison to the beefy line we've been using, but it's not something I know first-hand. What I have picked up from 49ers games is that he uses all kinds of personnel groupings (multiple backs, multiple TE's), lots of motion, etc. He will get a lot of use out of a FB as well as a TE who can motion into the backfield.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I look at this team, and it's becoming more apparent we're building this team EXACTLY like the Steelers(great Defense, heavy running game with its final piece being a QB) were built just before Ben Arrived. I think we're going into the next draft(not this year's draft) with the intention of getting that QB. With that said, what QB's are promising next year, guys we could possibly go after?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
There ya go. Another fully capable FB. These players grow on trees.
a former college Qb who is more of an 'athlete' H-back/TE type...the dude isnt filling holes like a bulldozer. the idea that you can plug just anybody into the FB role and he'll be effective is asinine.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
a former college Qb who is more of an 'athlete' H-back/TE type...the dude isnt filling holes like a bulldozer. the idea that you can plug just anybody into the FB role and he'll be effective is asnine.

Almost like another college QB Rex wanted to play FB... What was his name again?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
There ya go. Another fully capable FB. These players grow on trees.

Gray is not even close to a true FB. He's more Charles Clay, but 1/3rd as good.

Is Marquise Gray going to fit in somewhere?

I don't think so if we land Clay, but who knows? Depends where they want to keep depth. Given the focus on the running and short passing games I won't say it's definite that he's gone.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Some peoe just don't want to do the grunt work. I don't think Gray is one of those people.

Regardless of anything else, it's misappopriation of money for a position that is easy to fill. That's the point.

In your opinion. Most people disagree. Congrats though, Mike Schopp agrees with you. :laugh:

Moving on...

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Some peoe just don't want to do the grunt work. I don't think Gray is one of those people.

Regardless of anything else, it's misappopriation of money for a position that is easy to fill. That's the point.

Whether you agree with it or not, the system the Bills are going to be running requires a true FB. Gray can never and will never be a true FB. If you want to argue about cheaper and equally effective true FB's out there that's one thing, but guys like Gray just don't fit the Bill. Yeah, lots of teams don't make much use of a true FB anymore, but we're going to, period. It was identified as an important position to address for Roman's offense and they happened to address it with arguably the best lead blocker out there.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Call me crazy, but I think EJ Manuel is going to be the guy this year

I really hope he proves the doubters wrong, I don't want to go into this season with Matt Cassel as the starter

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
stokes84 is arbitrarily debating the value of certain positions without any knowledge of the abilities of the players involved nor the dynamics of the offense being implemented.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Call me crazy, but I think EJ Manuel is going to be the guy this year

I really hope he proves the doubters wrong, I don't want to go into this season with Matt Cassel as the starter
may the best man win, i really dont care who it is as long as one of them actually wins the job in camp/preseason.

sure it would be nice to see EJ show that he has progressed and can be trusted with the offense for years to come, but I'm not holding my breathe on that one just yet, and certainly wont be gifting him the spot.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Spiller should have taken the Bills offer before they decided to move on to the McCoy deal. Looks like he didn't get good advice from his representation. :shakehead

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I'm of the belief that Manuel was hamstrung by Marrone after his knee injury. There was evidence that Marrone restricted Hackett's playcalling, and EJ's running ability was effectively eliminated through this. EJ isn't going to have to learn complex reads because in an offense run by Roman with Watkins, Woods, McCoy, and possibly Harvin, the first read is probably going to be open more often than not. I see Manuel having a decent bounce back under these coaches. Maybe not enough to make him the long term starter, but certainly better than what Marrone got out of him.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

Disagree. It's really the same principle as the McCoy trade. A lot of offenses can get away with replacement level guys, but for the type of offense Rex and Roman intend to run, they can't afford have just any FB or RB in there. They need the top performers in the league at those positions.

billsandsabres

lurking
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
with all of the talk in the media and in fan commentary about the bills making a play for charles clay, i haven't noticed any contract details speculation. anybody have an inkling as to what sort of term and dollars it would take to get clay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad