Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I think most take Marner for all around play all season. Nylander has been great though, easily the best season of his career
As would I, it’s nice however to have 2 wingers at the capability they are at right now. Usually the gap between Marner and nylander would already have shown with nylander having around 42-50 points and Marner having 55+. It bodes well for star scoring if nylander can stay near his current pace

Reactions: ACC1224

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He's the player on the team I appreciate the most. All the shit he took earlier in his career especially after his contract holdout, but look at him now. His natural talent got him to the NHL, but his work ethic made him into a superstar

and such a fun skillset to watch

speed, poise with the puck, wicked passes, sniper shots, controlled zone entries, protecting the puck, causing turnovers.

could add a bit of sandpaper cuz he's a strong guy.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
As would I, it’s nice however to have 2 wingers at the capability they are at right now. Usually the gap between Marner and nylander would already have shown with nylander having around 42-50 points and Marner having 55+. It bodes well for star scoring if nylander can stay near his current pace

Definitely. If you need a player who will be elite in all aspects of the game, Mitch is the guy. If you need a gamebreaker to go out there and get you a goal I'm thinking that's Willy right now. His tool set on offense is up there with the best in the league.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Expensive player.... :D will Toronto be able to keep him?

It's very scary Sweden's best and most creative offensive player only is ranked third in Toronto though LoL a really strong team right now.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Why is Nylander a 16 and Marner at 15 at nhl.com stats? Not that i matters but i value goals more then assists. I never thought he woud be near Marners pointtotals at this stage. And i dont think he will be when the season end. A lot harder to collect points through goals then assist. Nylander should slow down soon and Marner and Matthews should put in another gear.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I remember seeing a highlight of him during the preseason, and I'm not even sure if he scored on the play, but it looked like his skating had found a higher gear over the summer, and the way he entered the offensive zone with the puck, and went at the defender, he seemed to have an aura of confidence I hadn't noticed before

Just based on that one highlight, I moved him way up my fantasy draft board

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Best pure athlete on the team along with Tavares Liljegren and Matthews.

This dude decides to stand in front of the net you're not moving him. Drops his shoulder you're not moving him. Gotta just hope he decides the gas is empty and spins back.

I mean it's no surprise anymore he's sniping on vezina goalies in the playoffs.

Looks money until he's at least 35.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think most take Marner for all around play all season. Nylander has been great though, easily the best season of his career
I've said it before. The leafs need Willy to be good to win. Definitely one of the biggest factors of the teams success is his improvement in play. Really hard to play against a team where a few players can show up and take over a game like he just did. He is as good as the best player on a lot of teams.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

It's very scary Sweden's best and most creative offensive player only is ranked third in Toronto though LoL a really strong team right now.
Most of the contracts on the team expire within the next 2 years...despite what everyone says about Dubas' cap management, one thing he has done well is not commit long-term contracts to mediocre or average players, and left flexibility in the sense that many deals are expiring at the same time that the core players need new contracts. As long as the cap goes up as its projected and they can manage the 'transition year' between the first year of Matthews' and Nylander's deal and Tavares' final year, they should be ok. Once Tavares is off the books then they're in good shape, and given that JT will have made his money by then we could even get him back on a Spezza/Gio type deal hopefully.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why is Nylander a 16 and Marner at 15 at nhl.com stats? Not that i matters but i value goals more then assists. I never thought he woud be near Marners pointtotals at this stage. And i dont think he will be when the season end. A lot harder to collect points through goals then assist. Nylander should slow down soon and Marner and Matthews should put in another gear.
Who knows? I see Kaprizov, Nylander, Hyman, and Marner as the four with 56 points, sorted by goals, with Kaprizov first because of fewer games.

If Marner is going to stay with Matthews and Matty picks up his pace, I can see Mitch getting more points, and Willy's production slowing by having to play with JT. Hopefully Jarnkrok can help, as he's been playing well lately.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
M comes before N alphabetically?

Reactions: ZEBROA and Buds17

geo25

Sep 28, 2017

Contract time coming up....not surprised at his increased effort and results. Ultimately I do not believe we will be able to afford him and he will test the market for sure. Hopefully Dubas would have learned from his 1st experience with him & his agent. Nice player to keep, but ...is this also the time for us to consider the possibility of moving him? Soon it'll be Marner & AM...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Contract time coming up....not surprised at his increased effort and results. Ultimately I do not believe we will be able to afford him and he will test the market for sure. Hopefully Dubas would have learned from his 1st experience with him & his agent. Nice player to keep, but ...is this also the time for us to consider the possibility of moving him? Soon it'll be Marner & AM...
I wouldn't hold my breath for an early signing. He would be crazy to not wait for a deal he couldn't refuse. Such is the business of hockey. I don't think there is anyone here that is rational that would give up even 1MM+ per year for nostalgia.

Reactions: geo25

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I remember the main board declaring Nylander a "cap dump" his first year of signing his contract. You'd literally get flamed and berated (allowed by the mods of course) for saying he'll be a PPG+ player in the future.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1674596805704.png

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember the main board declaring Nylander a "cap dump" his first year of signing his contract. You'd literally get flamed and berated (allowed by the mods of course) for saying he'll be a PPG+ player in the future.
I remember a specific poster who bashed Nylander for getting only 27 points in the 2018-19 season, because in the first year of his new contract he made $10.2 million AAV to make up for the games he missed.

Reactions: IPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad