Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't think we're signing a Hall or Pie, but the quickest way to "add good players to good players" is shipping out guys he doesn't like and signing guys to replace them. If he does dump several of our guys at the draft, we'll be pretty active in free agency, I assume.
I'm thinking we retool our bottom 6 to fit Armstrong's idea of how we should play and what kind of culture we should have. I'm thinking we'll have a much more physical 4th line. Wouldn't surprise if Richardson isn't offered a contract.

I don't see us adding any big names. It's a weak FA class, some guys are going to be overpaid even with the flat cap.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I still don't think we move much. But if he likes Soderstrom or Haula, Eakins, Janmark etc, he'll have to make room first.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Friedman echoed the Plandowski rumor on today's Hockey Central. Sounds like a great hire.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fuuuuuuuuck this article.

Tocchet is here to stay.

I don't get that vibe at all. He seems to be in a bit of limbo and is still lobbying for his job with those quotes.

It's not over until he gets an extension.

First, however, he’s waiting to see the direction Armstrong goes with the roster. The same goes for hiring new assistant coaches.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think he's still in limbo while Armstrong puts together a plan. Nothing sounds like Armstrong is committed to keeping him in that to me.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I hold out some hope, that with Tocchet retained for at least this next season, that the relationship between GM and coach can help Tocchet to get the most out of the roster. I get the impression that Armstrong comes in with a better idea of what that relationship should be after watching the other Armstrong and Berube in St. Louis. He also, unlike Chayka, spent enough time in management to see how the process of things going south and the ensuing coaching change goes, so I don't doubt he'll make the move when necessary.

Furthermore, with all the potential roster upheaval through the draft and free agency, it's probably not a good time for Armstrong to also be trying to do a coaching search. Unless he's really sold on some one like Gallant who is available now, or maybe Van Ryn, he can just wait for when the roster is settled and he can focus his full attention on coaching. Get the roster going in the right direction first.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I just would find it almost impossible to believe that a good hockey guy could watch the Coyotes play and think that they are well coached.

I don't like the idea that RT can have any input on which players are any good. He sucks at getting anything good out them anyways.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd feel better about Tocchet staying as coach if he'd say the roster has to get more physical on offense going to the net and defense defending around the net. I want him to say he didn't agree with how the roster was built because he if was right there with Chayka in putting that soft crap on the ice, he isn't a coach I want to root for.

Reactions: Surfshop

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I want him to say he didn't agree with how the roster was built because he if was right there with Chayka in putting that soft crap on the ice, he isn't a coach I want to root for.

Every statement to date and indication is that Chayka gave Tocchet what he asked for. Do you think it's Chayka force feeding Stepan and Kessel icetime? Was it Chayka who refused to make mid game adjustments or proactively use timeouts? Was Chayka the one that left Kuemper in a game that had gotten out of hand?

Tocchet wasn't even upset after they got annihilated by Coloardo. The softness comes from him.

“There’s been lots of change since the year’s been over. There’s been a lot of noise, but the one thing I think for us, getting in there, beating Nashville, I think that’s a positive for our organization. We weren’t expected to beat Nashville. I thought we played well the first couple of games against Colorado, it’s just those last two games kind of left a sour taste in everybody’s mouth.

“But I think for the most part, especially the last few years, we’ve improved every year. That’s a big positive,” Tocchet added.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I just would find it almost impossible to believe that a good hockey guy could watch the Coyotes play and think that they are well coached.

I don't like the idea that RT can have any input on which players are any good. He sucks at getting anything good out them anyways.
So should BA watch all of the games from last season and the playoffs? I honestly kinda think he should.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Every statement to date and indication is that Chayka gave Tocchet what he asked for. Do you think it's Chayka force feeding Stepan and Kessel icetime? Was it Chayka who refused to make mid game adjustments or proactively use timeouts? Was Chayka the one that left Kuemper in a game that had gotten out of hand?

Tocchet wasn't even upset after they got annihilated by Coloardo. The softness comes from him.
Man. Tocchet needs to be fired immediately. It’s a terrible mistake not to fire him right now.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Thats what I don't understand, RT didn't get the most out of his players, 80% of them had worse years than reasonable expectations 3 years in a row. I am hoping RT is not being fired for now because Muerello doesn't want to pay 2 coaches.

Reactions: CLW

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
So should BA watch all of the games from last season and the playoffs? I honestly kinda think he should.

If he hasn't, he should at least watch a good amount. Talks about being prepared and getting all of the data... Well I don't see how you get it all without seeing the team play. Especially when things were on the line late in the season and in the playoffs.

Thats what I don't understand, RT didn't get the most out of his players, 80% of them had worse years than reasonable expectations 3 years in a row. I am hoping RT is not being fired for now because Muerello doesn't want to pay 2 coaches.

I don't get it either. Has really been dragging down the franchise imo.

I'm torn on the last sentence.... I agree I hope it's for a different reason besides "we think he's a good coach"... But I'm also getting sick of letting the money get in the way of improving.

It's the Yote's huge dilemma. Being a good team will cost money but will earn a lot more down the line. Don't have money because they have sucked for most of 20 years (along with other reasons as well).

If they want to succeed... At some point they have to be consistently good.

Reactions: Surfshop

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Man. Tocchet needs to be fired immediately. It’s a terrible mistake not to fire him right now.

If he hasn't, he should at least watch a good amount. Talks about being prepared and getting all of the data... Well I don't see how you get it all without seeing the team play. Especially when things were on the line late in the season and in the playoffs.

I'm torn on the last sentence.... I agree I hope it's for a different reason besides "we think he's a good coach"... But I'm also getting sick of letting the money get in the way of improving.

It's the Yote's huge dilemma. Being a good team will cost money but will earn a lot more down the line. Don't have money because they have sucked for most of 20 years (along with other reasons as well).

We all, or at least most think RT should be fired, but that decision in now in the hands of GMBA, and now we have to trust his judgement. Besides, I think he knows just a little more about hockey than all of us put together, so let's see who he hires and fires. So far so good. Trust the process.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

We are strapped for cash. I see this as a good opportunity for BA to come in, look at the roster, adjust the way he wants to set us up for future success. Defacto rebuild. No point in getting rid of RT now if the coach he wants isn't there.

Who knows, with this changing of the guard, BA could sit down with RT and be honest with him. BA said he respects RT, has to be the other way around too. Perhaps GMJC was ok with the passive approach. BA has a much different tone than GMJC, and perhaps the tone from the top will help propel players and coaches to do things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad