Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Armstrong told LeBrun he’s staying at the hotel next to the arena and he’s in the office from 7am til midnight. A nice little bonus is the hotel continental breakfast.

Armstrong also said that he has been talking with other teams as of Friday.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
LeBrun: New GMs fast at work in Arizona and Florida ahead of pivotal offseason

How different, I asked Armstrong, could the Coyotes roster look by Nov. 1?

“Well, there’s a little bit of an evaluation where I don’t really want to give up on some of the core that’s here,” he said. “I think as an organization that we’ve got do some evaluation. Some of those guys are young guys that are just coming into their own. Doug Armstrong used to have a famous expression, ‘Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater,’ you know what I mean? So you don’t want to get into that situation where everything is bad. It’s not. It’s not as bad as you think.”

Make no mistake, there’s a lot of interest in Kuemper.

“Well I’ve got a lot of interest in him, too,” Armstrong said with a hearty chuckle. “You know? I like him a lot. There’s some good things about this team. We’ve got to rebuild some situations. There’s some situations that’s out of my control but at the end of the day, I’m actually responsible for in the sense that I walked into this knowing the Coyotes didn’t have (high) draft picks.

One thing’s for sure, there is certainly OEL chatter out there.

“Well, I think other people have really pushed it out there,” said Armstrong. “But he’s our captain. He plays 23 minutes a night. I’ve heard his name splashed around everywhere but I can tell you I haven’t splashed his name around. I can tell you that. He’s a good player for this organization, I’m a big fan of his, just watching him and how he’s got better and better.
“So, it’s a situation where I’ll have to explore why his name is out there as much as it is, because at the end of the day, he’s got a no-trade clause. If you’ve got a no-trade clause, it’s not the club that’s splashing it around, you know?”

The reality is, Armstrong can’t come out and say 100 percent he’s not trading OEL. Given where the organization is in terms of being desperate for future assets and young talent, he’s got no choice but to listen if a team really steps up with a package that would make too much sense for the Coyotes.

I think Coyotes fans are going to like their new GM. He’s confident without being cocky and he’s got a detailed plan for how he wants to turn around the organization; it’s that plan that got him the job.

It won’t be boring. Moves are coming.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Depends on the pick too. For an average 1st overall pick (Hischier, Hughes etc) that is a no. For Connor, Sid, or Ovi? Sure. For a superstar like Nate McKinnon or Kucherov? Probably but not 100% convinced. Probably a pass for a younger Taylor Hall as well but I could see that going either way (he took a long time to develop)

Hard no on anything less than a first overall. Actually I changed my mind, hard no regardless. Look at how bad Edmonton has been even with all those 1OAs (including Connor)
It's depends on Chia's role. As long as he has NO say in hockey transactions.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson

How different, I asked Armstrong, could the Coyotes roster look by Nov. 1?

“Well, there’s a little bit of an evaluation where I don’t really want to give up on some of the core that’s here,” he said. “I think as an organization that we’ve got do some evaluation. Some of those guys are young guys that are just coming into their own. Doug Armstrong used to have a famous expression, ‘Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater,’ you know what I mean? So you don’t want to get into that situation where everything is bad. It’s not. It’s not as bad as you think.”

Make no mistake, there’s a lot of interest in Kuemper.

“Well I’ve got a lot of interest in him, too,” Armstrong said with a hearty chuckle. “You know? I like him a lot. There’s some good things about this team. We’ve got to rebuild some situations. There’s some situations that’s out of my control but at the end of the day, I’m actually responsible for in the sense that I walked into this knowing the Coyotes didn’t have (high) draft picks.

One thing’s for sure, there is certainly OEL chatter out there.

“Well, I think other people have really pushed it out there,” said Armstrong. “But he’s our captain. He plays 23 minutes a night. I’ve heard his name splashed around everywhere but I can tell you I haven’t splashed his name around. I can tell you that. He’s a good player for this organization, I’m a big fan of his, just watching him and how he’s got better and better.
“So, it’s a situation where I’ll have to explore why his name is out there as much as it is, because at the end of the day, he’s got a no-trade clause. If you’ve got a no-trade clause, it’s not the club that’s splashing it around, you know?”

The reality is, Armstrong can’t come out and say 100 percent he’s not trading OEL. Given where the organization is in terms of being desperate for future assets and young talent, he’s got no choice but to listen if a team really steps up with a package that would make too much sense for the Coyotes.

I think Coyotes fans are going to like their new GM. He’s confident without being cocky and he’s got a detailed plan for how he wants to turn around the organization; it’s that plan that got him the job.

It won’t be boring. Moves are coming.

^ a few snips of a very long article. Hopefully that’s not too much to copy and paste here.

very political answers. “I like them too, don’t wanna trade them. We will have to see where this goes.” Essentially letting the hockey world “Well I never really said no, but you have to make it good”

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
very political answers. “I like them too, don’t wanna trade them. We will have to see where this goes.” Essentially letting the hockey world “Well I never really said no, but you have to make it good”
He also seemed to insinuate that OEL’s management is behind the rumors.

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
Wrong post
AsHI.mp4

Reactions: RABBIT

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes he did, but we already know that Sullivan was tasked with collecting trade value information this summer. I'm guessing that's where the rumours started.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^ a few snips of a very long article. Hopefully that’s not too much to copy and paste here.

Pro Tip: Break it up into sections and add you own thoughts in along the way. I had a similar situation in BoH recently and it drew a couple of complaints about copyrights.

Reactions: Surfshop

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I kind of got the impression he was blaming Canadian media and the "They must trade everyone to save money. They should be happy with getting anything back"-narrative.

But I doubt OEL is married to AZ, too.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Maybe OeL’s management could speak to the Oilers about including assets that we would actually be interested in.
Couldn’t hurt. :)

Wondering if we do settle for a huge pile of STUFF for OEL, as long as the cap-dump isn’t too odious, that is. Someone like Kris Russell instead of James Neal, as an example. Would we take a pile of scratch-off lottery tickets like Lavoie, Samorukov, Puljujarvi and a 2021 1st?

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
OEL needs to be moved while he has some value. He is way overpaid, underproductive and is not a leader. We are stuck with him as captain for several more years otherwise. And if his on-ice play has not convinced anyone he is not a leader, then just watch his press interviews in the bubble.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Couldn’t hurt. :)

Wondering if we do settle for a huge pile of STUFF for OEL, as long as the cap-dump isn’t too odious, that is. Someone like Kris Russell instead of James Neal, as an example. Would we take a pile of scratch-off lottery tickets like Lavoie, Samorukov, Puljujarvi and a 2021 1st?
I wouldn't really be happy, but that makes a lot more sense than taking Neal back.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I don't care if he flips every play we have for a 1st/2nd/3rd + prospect(s) + cap dump if it means we have a actual, sustainable playoff team in 3 years.

I've been saying for almost a year now that the Hall trade was premature and we were still 2 years away. Add on the penalty and we effectively are 4-5 years out. If he can turn the roster over appropriately to grab a few extra picks in 22/23/24 while keeping us competitive and changing the culture then I'm sold.

I'm still in the place of mind that we need to think 2 years out in terms of UFA signings for now and then we can change gears. We have to try and be a bubble team and can't go full rebuild until then.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think we're signing a Hall or Pie, but the quickest way to "add good players to good players" is shipping out guys he doesn't like and signing guys to replace them. If he does dump several of our guys at the draft, we'll be pretty active in free agency, I assume.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't think we're signing a Hall or Pie, but the quickest way to "add good players to good players" is shipping out guys he doesn't like and signing guys to replace them. If he does dump several of our guys at the draft, we'll be pretty active in free agency, I assume.
As long as we aren’t handing out expansion protection, I’m fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad