Post-Game Talk: Big Oil warming up, Penguins lose habitat

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I didn't even know about this ceremony until my cousin sent a picture of his tickets tonight at the game.

Did they get their banner raised or is this more of just their name on the wall of the arena?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think there is a player there with Podkolzin if the Oilers want to be patient, on the 2nd goal he made a couple of smart, quick passes to throw Pittsburgh's D off to give Bouchard some extra space. Too many guys here would've taken an extra milisecond, he just makes simple, straight forward plays, but that's exactly what the team needs sometimes.

Arvidsson easily could've had a goal or two to go with the three assists.

We're still not all the way in sync yet, but now are 3-1-1 in the last 5 games. Stop being cute Knob and just move Skinner up to line 1 already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Penguins looks awful. Did they even try today ? Such an unacceptable level of effort. Yikes. Otherwise good game. Need to play at this level against a good team.

They played Dallas and Carolina well, just a few mistakes in the 3rd period of both games and no finish to show for being the better team for large stretches of those games. It's not like those teams came and blew us out. 3-1-1 in the last five games, people need to chill the f*** out a bit.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Pens are even worse than I thought. I called a 6-4 Oilers win but thats giving the flightless birds far too much credit.

People are very critical of the Oilers stars around here but that performance by Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlson was disgusting. The whole team was bad but these were among the worst Pens on the ice. So bad that this was one of the weakest opponent performances I've seen. SOG at one point were 34-5. Don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

Oh and Karlson with the dummy of the universe award having full possession in Oilers zone, and he's a D, and dummying a pass back that only takes himself out of the play but his whole team, and caused the Oilers to have a 4-1 break. That play alone as well as the sleepwalking throughout is why you don't want Karlson anywhere near your team ever. EK has imploded every team he's been on, every one of them. Just a walking disaster.

I thought Drai really feeling it tonight. Good game by Arviddsson, and Stu Skinner. Topline really needs to get something going. Great goal by Drai. Best shot of the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Penguins looks awful. Did they even try today ? Such an unacceptable level of effort. Yikes. Otherwise good game. Need to play at this level against a good team.
Yep. Sidney and Malkin need to retire. Bring Letang and Karlson with them. The single worst opponent performance I've ever witnessed. They should be ashamed really.

Even in the 8-1 Oilers loss to Vancouver it was nothing like this. Felt like much of the game was the Pens trying to feed the Oilers goals. Poor goalie, what could he do? Just stop it from being 8-0 is good.

Pens really have zero pride at this point. Just taking pay cheques.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fun fact too

89-90 Oilers: 3-4-1 at game 8
05-06 Oilers: 3-4-1 at game 8
23-24 Oilers: 2-5-1 at game 8
24-25 Oilers: 3-4-1 at game 8

It ain't about how you start.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oilers and Esks both win on the same night. Think I’ll pour a drink.
I think I'll look outside to see if I can discover a Comet.

Fun fact too

89-90 Oilers: 3-4-1 at game 8
05-06 Oilers: 3-4-1 at game 8
23-24 Oilers: 2-5-1 at game 8
24-25 Oilers: 3-4-1 at game 8

It ain't about how you start.
For sure. Also take the W, but man how could you even possibly lose tonight. Pens look like an AHL or seniors squad. Oilers need to get er done against teams a bit better than lottery clubs. This game probably doesn't reveal too much.

How did Hyman not score in this game?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Why did they put the Gregg and MacT ceremonies after the game? it's like a 1/4 full

I was at the game and didn't stay for the ceremony. This might be an unpopular opinion (especially around here where the average age is higher) but I think the amount of people who care about the 80s Oilers is decreasing as time goes on. I'm a 90s kid myself and never saw a single second of it. What I did see was countless ceremonies celebrating these guys while I suffered for a decade watching the terrible hockey teams that they built. Nothing against MacT and Gregg personally but it just feels overdone at this point. It's cool that the 80s dynasty happened but I just don't really care anymore.

If they were honouring Hemsky or Horcoff I would've stayed though ;).

Reactions: The Bored Man

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think I'll look outside to see if I can discover a Comet.

For sure. Also take the W, but man how could you even possibly lose tonight. Pens look like an AHL or seniors squad. Oilers need to get er done against teams a bit better than lottery clubs. This game probably doesn't reveal too much.

How did Hyman not score in this game?

I'm over the whole shit about "good teams", "bad teams". Every team in the NHL can beat anyone else on a nightly basis, seen that happen 5000000 times, 2 games ago people were crowing about how the Leafs had turned over a new (well) leaf, and then Columbus and St. Louis tuned their ass back to back.

We made Pittsburgh look bad because we suffocated them, but we did similar things in the Dallas game, Dallas had nothing going for almost 2 full periods. Carolina game we did a lot of positive things too, just made a few unfortunate mistakes in the 3rd and they jumped all over every mistake.

I don't care anymore about the opponent. We can play with anyone and then some when we are on our game, regular season is just about getting into the groove eventually, it's a marathon, not a sprint. I ain't afraid of anyone else, yeah some other teams have some good players, we do too, so it's like "f*** off, and drop the puck" at this point.

I don't look at any other team as some kind of benchmark anymore, past that point after last season. Regular season is just about building our game.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
The Pens are even worse than I thought. I called a 6-4 Oilers win but thats giving the flightless birds far too much credit.

People are very critical of the Oilers stars around here but that performance by Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlson was disgusting. The whole team was bad but these were among the worst Pens on the ice. So bad that this was one of the weakest opponent performances I've seen. SOG at one point were 34-5. Don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

Oh and Karlson with the dummy of the universe award having full possession in Oilers zone, and he's a D, and dummying a pass back that only takes himself out of the play but his whole team, and caused the Oilers to have a 4-1 break. That play alone as well as the sleepwalking throughout is why you don't want Karlson anywhere near your team ever. EK has imploded every team he's been on, every one of them. Just a walking disaster.

I thought Drai really feeling it tonight. Good game by Arviddsson, and Stu Skinner. Topline really needs to get something going. Great goal by Drai. Best shot of the season.
Another thing that these stale Oilers fans are forgetting is Nurse dropping his gloves at the faceoff. It was a dirty hit and it should have been a penalty but Nurse did his job.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Another thing that these stale Oilers fans are forgetting is Nurse dropping his gloves at the faceoff. It was a dirty hit and it should have been a penalty but Nurse did his job.
Yeah both players stood up on that one. Good to see. Nurse seems intent on being more physical and fighting this year and we really need that.

I'm over the whole shit about "good teams", "bad teams". Every team in the NHL can beat anyone else on a nightly basis, seen that happen 5000000 times, 2 games ago people were crowing about how the Leafs had turned over a new (well) leaf, and then Columbus and St. Louis tuned their ass back to back.

We made Pittsburgh look bad because we suffocated them, but we did similar things in the Dallas game, Dallas had nothing going for almost 2 full periods. Carolina game we did a lot of positive things too, just made a few unfortunate mistakes in the 3rd and they jumped all over every mistake.

I don't care anymore about the opponent. We can play with anyone and then some when we are on our game, regular season is just about getting into the groove eventually, it's a marathon, not a sprint. I ain't afraid of anyone else, yeah some other teams have some good players, we do too, so it's like "f*** off, and drop the puck" at this point.

I don't look at any other team as some kind of benchmark anymore, past that point after last season. Regular season is just about building our game.
Pittsburgh looked bad because they gifted turnovers all game. From a back end of Letang and Karlson this was embarrasing. Most outs in the game Pens forwards didn't even want the puck. This was like playing an AHL club. Sure the Oilers have played better than some of their results indicated but they were playing against air tonight.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll be honest I don't notice much difference in our game 5 on 5 defensively since about the 3rd game of the season onwards from last year's team. It's mainly just the PK that is out of wack, but otherwise you could paint a Ceci jersey onto Stetcher and I wouldn't see there being much of a difference.

The defensive structure is more or less there. Think we have made a couple of mistakes out of frustration with not being able to score a few times, but that's about it.

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah both players stood up on that one. Good to see. Nurse seems intent on being more physical and fighting this year and we really need that.

Pittsburgh looked bad because they gifted turnovers all game. From a back end of Letang and Karlson this was embarrasing. Most outs in the game Pens forwards didn't even want the puck. This was like playing an AHL club.

We had Dallas sitting on 8 shots late into the 2nd period there too. I'm not as worried about the D structure, it's there more or less from what I can see at even strength.

I think that's only about 5 even strength goals against allowed in the last 5 games and we've outshot almost every opponent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We had Dallas sitting on 8 shots late into the 2nd period there too. I'm not as worried about the D structure, it's there more or less from what I can see at even strength.

I think that's only 4 or 5 even strength goals against allowed in the last 5 games.
Teams haven't needed to score too many EV goals against us.

I know the offense should come, been saying that, but even with the 4 goals tonight 2 were from the point and we're not getting much of any scoring from the forwards. Tonight we got Drai and Hopkins but really how awful the Pens were tonight everybody should've been potting.

Dallas beat us playing one period of hockey. We weren't holding Dallas as much as the Stars were hunting top corners all night long and missed at least half a dozen shots on close in wide open looks. Dallas is just like that sometimes. Dallas have played games against Calgary and only got 8 shots in a couple periods. Dallas are really odd that way.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Think there is a player there with Podkolzin if the Oilers want to be patient, on the 2nd goal he made a couple of smart, quick passes to throw Pittsburgh's D off to give Bouchard some extra space. Too many guys here would've taken an extra milisecond, he just makes simple, straight forward plays, but that's exactly what the team needs sometimes.

Arvidsson easily could've had a goal or two to go with the three assists.

We're still not all the way in sync yet, but now are 3-1-1 in the last 5 games. Stop being cute Knob and just move Skinner up to line 1 already.

not gonna lie Podz was a player tonight, he was in every play and if Drai wasn't trying to get Arvy going, it might have been better feeding Podkolzin, almost felt bad for him given how hard he was working.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Teams haven't needed to score too many EV goals against us.

I know the offense should come, been saying that, but even with the 4 goals tonight 2 were from the point and we're not getting much of any scoring from the forwards. Tonight we got Drai and Hopkins but really how awful the Pens were tonight everybody should've been potting.

Dallas beat us playing one period of hockey.

Well yeah when your PK and PP is that crap, they can get away with that. If they want to let us hold them to 8 shots for two periods in a playoff round once our PK and PP shapes, I'll take that every day of the week.

We carried the play in that game and deserved a better result, it happens, doesn't phase me nor do I think at this point does it phase the team. They were lucky to win that game, we could easily be 4-1 in the last 5 games or even 5-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad