Value of: Best RHD to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
A bit weird that your analysis of defensemen is so off. Nurse's defensive numbers are pretty good considering he always plays against the other team's top line, and our defensive structure in general is too loose, which results in good scoring chances both ways. He's not the problem, he's just an easy scapegoat. Ceci wasn't a problem in his first year with the Oilers, but last year he was. Apparently, he was battling some injuries for most of the season though, so maybe he rebounds, but I don't want to assume that will happen as he's not an ideal top-pair defenseman at all, even in his first year in Edmonton when he performed way above everyone's expectations, he wasn't the ideal piece we need.

Of the available pieces, I think Severson is probably most likely to be the answer, but I think he will cost more than we have to spend, and I also worry that he's going to want a long contract, and given his age, he's more likely to have only a couple of years of his prime left. He also doesn't have the nasty side I'd love to see in a defenseman next to Nurse, but given today's NHL, that's more of a luxury than a need.

Nurse - Severson
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Ceci
Broberg - Desharnais

Would be perfect, but I don't think the Oilers have the cap space to make it work.
Could you imagine if Edmonton could swing parayko

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Said it for a while but Connor Murphy is exactly the type of defender they need, and he is signed for 3 more years

With Hawks in full rebuild and Oilers a contender I do think he would be open to possibly waiving for Oilers. If he stays in Chicago, he will have essentially wasted almost his entire career on non-playoff teams

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's a tough question to answer. His partner is going to be Nurse.

So on the one hand you want a stabilizing influence. On the other hand, if you go full D-focused in the partner, then it will force Nurse to take more offensive risks, which might not be ideal.

Ideally it's another Ekholm all-rounder type (as @Double Dion suggested above)

It certainly is an interesting question for the Oilers. It's a weird situation where you really could go either direction with a new partner for Nurse.

The biggest thing is, that Ekholm-Bouchard pairing is rock solid, and if that can be your de facto "matchup pair", that does leave Nurse+ Whoever free to play some softer, offensive minutes.

So you could go full offense by bringing in a guy like Klingberg and just shelter the heck out of that pairing by stapling them at the hip with McDavid/Draisaitl. But you could also just go with that "stay-at-home" partner and just completely turn Nurse loose.

Personally i think the latter option of a stabilizing stay-at-home "mess cleaner upper" type would be the better approach. The other route sounds a lot like just running back to Barrie again, with a different nameplate on the back. And i certainly don't trust Nurse to reel it in and play more responsibly. I don't think he really has that in him, to truly cut out the bonehead plays, so it'd be a total adventure time pairing...at both ends of the rink.

Someone above mentioned Tanev. That'd be a heck of a partner for Nurse. If he's made available and the Flames are willing to make that sort of deal within the province. Obviously you're going to have to expect that someone like Broberg/Kulak/Desharnais/someone else are going to have to fill in for the games Tanev misses...and just hope he's good to go for the playoffs when it matters most. But when he plays, Tanev is an absolute magician when it comes to just calming and stabilizing a partner's game. He just quietly erases all sorts of gaffes and reckless bonehead plays and chaos. He's also a really underrated, efficient puck-mover in his own right. He's not going to chip in a lot of offense, but he's very effective in just getting the puck to forwards in stride in transition. So he's not out of place on a more "offensive-minded" pairing, even if the points aren't going to jump out at you.

The other big thing with the Oilers situation is that i think this is absolutely the pressure point to attack and improve their blueline meaningfully by upgrading the Top-4 with another good RHD. That's almost certainly going to mean unloading Ceci somewhere though. Which is also going to be tricky. Bouchard's contract situation could also complicate things cap-wise if he doesn't end up settling for an affordable bridge deal to help out the Oilers. He's got a lot of leverage right now, and will draw some interest from offersheets. Not that the Oilers would be faced with any sort of offersheet they wouldn't just sign and keep him...it's the kind of thing that could drive his price up beyond that "bridge deal" range.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My issue was just with the word miserable when describing Ceci of last season. The guy was pretty much thrown to the wolves (top pairing) and held his own. He would be an ideal add for this team on the 2nd pairing.

As for suggestions, I am sticking to Parayko (who indeed was miserable last season) as a buy low target.

Oilers need to fix the defensive system more than fixing the players. Bouchard, Broberg and Desharnais were much worse than Ceci defensively but should (hopefully) all take a step ahead now that they have gained some exp
I wonder what the "buy low" price on Parayko is. Obviously the Blues would need something to make it worthwhile to move him, but what is that, and would they take back a short contract to help us with cap space?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nurse+Campbell for EK65

Uhhh.... not exactly a serious post, is it?

It certainly is an interesting question for the Oilers. It's a weird situation where you really could go either direction with a new partner for Nurse.

The biggest thing is, that Ekholm-Bouchard pairing is rock solid, and if that can be your de facto "matchup pair", that does leave Nurse+ Whoever free to play some softer, offensive minutes.

So you could go full offense by bringing in a guy like Klingberg and just shelter the heck out of that pairing by stapling them at the hip with McDavid/Draisaitl. But you could also just go with that "stay-at-home" partner and just completely turn Nurse loose.

Personally i think the latter option of a stabilizing stay-at-home "mess cleaner upper" type would be the better approach. The other route sounds a lot like just running back to Barrie again, with a different nameplate on the back. And i certainly don't trust Nurse to reel it in and play more responsibly. I don't think he really has that in him, to truly cut out the bonehead plays, so it'd be a total adventure time pairing...at both ends of the rink.

Someone above mentioned Tanev. That'd be a heck of a partner for Nurse. If he's made available and the Flames are willing to make that sort of deal within the province. Obviously you're going to have to expect that someone like Broberg/Kulak/Desharnais/someone else are going to have to fill in for the games Tanev misses...and just hope he's good to go for the playoffs when it matters most. But when he plays, Tanev is an absolute magician when it comes to just calming and stabilizing a partner's game. He just quietly erases all sorts of gaffes and reckless bonehead plays and chaos. He's also a really underrated, efficient puck-mover in his own right. He's not going to chip in a lot of offense, but he's very effective in just getting the puck to forwards in stride in transition. So he's not out of place on a more "offensive-minded" pairing, even if the points aren't going to jump out at you.

The other big thing with the Oilers situation is that i think this is absolutely the pressure point to attack and improve their blueline meaningfully by upgrading the Top-4 with another good RHD. That's almost certainly going to mean unloading Ceci somewhere though. Which is also going to be tricky. Bouchard's contract situation could also complicate things cap-wise if he doesn't end up settling for an affordable bridge deal to help out the Oilers. He's got a lot of leverage right now, and will draw some interest from offersheets. Not that the Oilers would be faced with any sort of offersheet they wouldn't just sign and keep him...it's the kind of thing that could drive his price up beyond that "bridge deal" range.

Tanev would be interesting, but rare is the deal between Edmonton and Calgary.

Said it for a while but Connor Murphy is exactly the type of defender they need, and he is signed for 3 more years

With Hawks in full rebuild and Oilers a contender I do think he would be open to possibly waiving for Oilers. If he stays in Chicago, he will have essentially wasted almost his entire career on non-playoff teams

I personally would aim higher than Connor Murphy. Plus like you said he'd have to keep Edmonton off his 10 team no trade list and that isn't a guarantee.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Assuming the Oilers want to improve on Cody Ceci's miserable year last year (and not stand pat, which is probably what Holland will do) who is the best RHD available for trade or a UFA signing?

Possible targets are:

Damon Severson (UFA)
Erik Karlsson (SJS)
John Klingberg (UFA)
Matt Dumba (UFA)
Kevin Shattenkirk (UFA)
Scott Mayfield (UFA)
In this order, factoring in likely AAV;

Mayfield
Dumba
Severson

Klingberg
Shattenkirk these two don't play defense.

Karlsson is an unrealistic get, due to his AAV and NMC.

Reactions: TFHockey

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Not physically gifted but plays hard. Makes a lot of nice “what are you doing there? Oh well that was good” plays. Like the guy that takes a bad three point shot but it goes in. More of a bottom 3 defenseman that some people might think is a number 4. Plays PK2.
The problem there is that it sounds like a historically good team was able to make it work around his questionable decision making, whereas another team is going to see a lot more of those "what are you doing there" decisions ending "what the **** WERE you doing?"

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon might be a perfect fit with Nurse.
Yes, but he has a NMC, he had a vg year and MN would want a boatload in return, Dumba is gone so they already are down a RHD(hopefully replaced by Faber), and those two together would have an AAV of almost 17M.

Just not realistic for either team at this point. EDM is better off getting a UFA that will cost them nothing, rather than paying multiple 1sts and prospects for Spurgeon.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
IF IF IF
bread waived to St L
reduced 2.x to 9 per less yrs
for
Para
reduced 2.5 to 4 for more yrs

something along those lines

what would EDM offer for Para at 4 per?

NY would be inclined to keep and if his back gives out, we LTIR him
but like Frasier Crane,, I'm listening....

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
IF IF IF
bread waived to St L
reduced 2.x to 9 per less yrs
for
Para
reduced 2.5 to 4 for more yrs

something along those lines

what would EDM offer for Para at 4 per?

NY would be inclined to keep and if his back gives out, we LTIR him
but like Frasier Crane,, I'm listening....

As I understand it, you're saying NYR would trade for Parayko and flip him to Edmonton at $4 Million AAV, correct?

I think the length of that contract is the stumbling block for Oiler fans. He is signed through 2030.

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
Edmonton should just go status quo into season. See how things are looking going into trade deadline. Then trade for best UFA D with retained salary.

This will allow them to better utilize the lack of cap space they have.

The current crop of UFA D that fit the need (stable, defensive sound) are going to price themselves out of what Edmonton can afford.

Reactions: BudBundy

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
for as much as this is a joke, i can see them sign Holl at 3-4x4 ...Oil GM's loves Ex-Leafs

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I could be wrong, but Parayko is a no go for most Oiler fans.

I think the story ended when Bern thought it was remotely possible Panarin gets traded to St. Louis for Parayko. Doesn't make sense for anyone at all.

And that's not even looking at Oilers fans wanting nothing to do with Parayko at this stage in his career, for the length of that contract, regardless if it's "only" $4milAAV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad