Proposal: Best RHD to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes Seth Jones would've been nice, but Adam Larsson is about the same age and better defensively right now and it's not even like the offence from the two is that dissimilar the last two years.

Yes Larsson is a bit older, but he also played on a team that scored considerably less and got zero PP time last year because the coach was running him into the ground playing every other hard minute.

Nashville wanted Ryan Johansen, not Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent Hopkins. That's their right to wait for a deal for a specific player type that they want. 6 foot 3 centers like Johansen are rare, I can't really be mad at Chiarelli for not getting in on that, Johansen is simply a better player than RNH, and that's what Nashville needed (a center).

I'm not even really sure if Jones is a better player than Larsson. Both are no.4 picks, both were highly touted in their draft years, I would say Adam Larsson is better defensively, but he can still do a lot of the puck moving that Jones does, Larsson has a very good first pass.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yes Seth Jones would've been nice, but Adam Larsson is about the same age and better defensively right now and it's not even like the offence from the two is that dissimilar the last two years.

Yes Larsson is a bit older, but he also played on a team that scored considerably less and got zero PP time last year because the coach was running him into the ground playing every other hard minute.

Nashville wanted Ryan Johansen, not Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent Hopkins. That's their right to wait for a deal for a specific player type that they want. 6 foot 3 centers like Johansen are rare, I can't really be mad at Chiarelli for not getting in on that, Johansen is simply a better player than RNH, and that's what Nashville needed (a center).

I'm not even really sure if Jones is a better player than Larsson. Both are no.4 picks, both were highly touted in their draft years, I would say Adam Larsson is better defensively, but he can still do a lot of the puck moving that Jones does, Larsson has a very good first pass.

It's arguable that Larsson is better than Jones now, but what isn't arguable is that Jones' potential is twice that of Larsson. The overhyping of Larsson is getting honestly hilarious.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
RNH and Yak for Dumba, Haula, and Pominville.

Wild may have to pressure Pominville to waive his limited NTC, if it is triggered (full details unknown).

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Wild may have to pressure Pominville to waive his limited NTC, if it is triggered (full details unknown).

Replace Haula with Granlund or Coyle and I'd do it. As it stands that's a bottom pairing Dman, a low end 2nd liner and a bad contract, love Dumba(pretty much what EDM needs on the PP) more than most but that's robbery.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Do Edmonton fans feel Pulju for Vatanen would be possible with the right kind of +. What should the + be?

How do Edmonton fans feel about the relative value of Pulju vs Draisatl.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Do Edmonton fans feel Pulju for Vatanen would be possible with the right kind of +. What should the + be?

That + would have to be Rakell for me at least.

Draisaitl/Puljujarvi for Vatanen+Rakell

RNH>Drais>Pulj but Pulj has the higher ceiling. Similar to Monohan vs Tkachuk or Dubois vs Jenner. Higher ceilings but may not hit them vs established or at least proven young player. All 3 hold very close value for me though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Replace Haula with Granlund or Coyle and I'd do it. As it stands that's a bottom pairing Dman, a low end 2nd liner and a bad contract, love Dumba(pretty much what EDM needs on the PP) more than most but that's robbery.
Robbery?

Haula is the great type of center to play with McDavid and LD. He's an elite skater, very good two-way play, high hockey IQ, and pretty decent offensive skills and vision.

Dumba is the Wild's current #5 Dman, but he would fit and grow well as the Oilers #4RD, 1st PP.

Pominville has a bad contract for 3 more years, but as of today, he's a better RW than Yak. Solid compliment to Eberle and Pulju. He is also needed for cap reasons (RNH contract is BIG).

RNH would slot in well in the Wild's top-6, pushing Staal back down to the 3rd line, where he should probably be at this point in his career.

Yak is a gamble play for the Wild. Probably below Zucker on the depth chart, but worth the risk for the upside.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

No . I think a big reason Hall was moved was because of his contract and us landing Puljujarvi . There is a quote out on Sportnet in the story 23 minutes

'I’m not sure Colorado ever got past Subban’s contract. Same with Edmonton. Chiarelli wouldn’t comment, but multiple sources said conversations between the Canadiens and Oilers did not last very long at all. The Oilers did not like the ask, and they know McDavid could become the highest-paid player in the NHL. They were not interested in pairing whatever that number will be with Subban’s $9M"

If Chia true feels this then Hall for Larsson has a deeper impact then just the trade . It opens up 2 million in cap space . I know people will argue that you just don't sign Lucic . But hall was the leader and they wanted McDavid to be that leader while we also needed D .

Anyways point being I don't think there would have been much of a change with out 1 Puljujarvi falling to us . 2 Lucic agreeing to sign before hand . To be a successful team you have to have prospects that can step in to replace vets that you move out for cap space . I am hoping Puljujarvi is in the AHL this year . Along with Cagguila even if they are ready .

Next off season you move out Pouliot and Yakupov he has not broke out this year . 6.5 million out . 2 rookies in

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Vats isn't getting traded after they made such a big deal about re-signing him. And unless Drai+ is coming back, I have no interest in giving the Oilers a player like Vats to help them. If they want Vats, they have to give up a big return to make it worth it for us.

As annoyed as I was when the Ducks resigned Vatanen, I have to agree with this. Ducks wont trade us Vatanen without us having to significantly overpay.

I was annoyed with him resigning because I thought as well that he was the perfect fit in EDM on the 2nd pair.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera - Vatanen
Davidson - Fayne
Oesterle

Nurse/Reinhart in the AHL

Not Earth shattering, but a solid D core IMO

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Robbery?

Haula is the great type of center to play with McDavid and LD. He's an elite skater, very good two-way play, high hockey IQ, and pretty decent offensive skills and vision.

Dumba is the Wild's current #5 Dman, but he would fit and grow well as the Oilers #4RD, 1st PP.

Pominville has a bad contract for 3 more years, but as of today, he's a better RW than Yak. Solid compliment to Eberle and Pulju. He is also needed for cap reasons (RNH contract is BIG).

RNH would slot in well in the Wild's top-6, pushing Staal back down to the 3rd line, where he should probably be at this point in his career.

Yak is a gamble play for the Wild. Probably below Zucker on the depth chart, but worth the risk for the upside.

Prominville has negative value , While Yakupov value maybe low he is worth move then Prom .

RNH value may be a little lower with last years play but most GM's would know it was filled with injuries and his value is higher then a #5 D . Yes Dumba may become more but RNH still has lots of potential . I find it funny people will rip Oilers players saying the put up points but don't play a 2 way game . A young C like RNH plays the game the right way and will not cheat to put up offensive numbers and he gets ripped for not producing . I see RNH as becoming a solid 2 way #1 C . I don't see Dumba as becoming a #1 D . So I think Dumba + a lessor C for RNH makes some sense . Oilers get a PP guy and a contract that would fit better as a 3rd line option at C .

I also think the way the Wild play RNH would be able to focus on his offensive side of the game . The Wild play a solid team D game while the Oilers depend on a few players to provide defensive play .

Just my opinion and I am sure many may disagree

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Someone's a bit upset I see. Where did I say Drai was only worth a 2nd? Hint, no where. Where did I say Drai could never be a #2C? Hint, never said it. I did say he wasn't one yet, keyword "yet."

Maybe you should stop getting offended and exaggerating what other people say because they don't think as highly of your guy.

But hey, if you're so keen on your forwards and not fixing your defense, that's fine. Ducks are not going to help you guys out unless it's an overpayment, pretty simple concept that you seem offended I could ever even bring up.

It can be looked at from the other side as well . The Ducks are keen on keeping all their D and not fixing an ageing forward group that is fine . We are not hand over a potential top line C for a top for D .

As for the Oilers D . If and it is only if Klefbom continues as he played last year along with Davidson and with Larsson knocking everyone down a spot I think our D will be fine .

Remember Sekera was force to play top D minutes which is too much . Sekera is a decent 2 pairing guy .
Klefbom Larsson has ton of potential to be a great top pairing

Sekera Fayne can be good and by all rumours Fayne was out of shape last year and was sent to the AHL once he returned he played much better , not that would have taken much . By all reports he trained hard this summer

Davidson Gryba . Davidson numbers show he was much better that a number 5 guy . Gryba may be sign but know matter what Davidson can anchor the 3rd pairing even if he if only 70% of what he played at before his injury .

Anyways lots of potential to surprise and lots of ifs . But to say the Oilers are ok with their D is plain wrong . Chia has add Sekera the best D on the market . Larsson this year . But I guess you were not aware of that as it shows the Oilers are making efforts to fix the D .

Find it funny to suggest someone is exaggerating . Then in the same posting to say Oilers are focus on their forwards only when the Oilers are the ones that traded one of the best LW in the game for a D .

Who's exaggerating ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

No.

Yak is a bust at this point, while Haula is a very useful player outperforming his tiny salary( 1M). Let's not give him away.

We'll buy out Poms in a year or two.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Someone's a bit upset I see. Where did I say Drai was only worth a 2nd? Hint, no where. Where did I say Drai could never be a #2C? Hint, never said it. I did say he wasn't one yet, keyword "yet."

Maybe you should stop getting offended and exaggerating what other people say because they don't think as highly of your guy.

But hey, if you're so keen on your forwards and not fixing your defense, that's fine. Ducks are not going to help you guys out unless it's an overpayment, pretty simple concept that you seem offended I could ever even bring up.
Hardly offended when I laughed reading your post.
Draisaitl is a #2C with the potential to be a #1.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

RNH>Drais>Pulj but Pulj has the higher ceiling. Similar to Monohan vs Tkachuk or Dubois vs Jenner. Higher ceilings but may not hit them vs established or at least proven young player. All 3 hold very close value for me though.

Fair ask, but a tad too painful. Maybe even for both parties involved. Most likely both stay put (and Ducks possibly are forced to part ways with Fowler through a trade, while Oilers develop their RHD)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It's arguable that Larsson is better than Jones now, but what isn't arguable is that Jones' potential is twice that of Larsson. The overhyping of Larsson is getting honestly hilarious.
I'll argue that. How does Jones have twice the potential? Not every player develops at the same trajectory and they were both considered to be 10A at one point during their draft years(both went 4OA) You've got jack **** to back up your "claim"

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

As of now Vatanen is an NHL player and Pulju has yet to play a game in the league. However at 25 and almost 200 NHL games it's unlikely that Vatanen becomes anything more then what he is which is a solid mid pairing defender who can move the puck and work a PP like a boss.

It's still unknown where Pulju ends up but when you look at his physical stature, his excellent skating, offensive instincts and willingness to play a complete game and then mix that with the fact he's likely to see considerable time over the next few years with McDavid, I'd bet my money on him being a top line RW.

for me personally though it all comes down to Pulj is a 18 year old who's likely to contribute in our top 9 this season and doesn't have to be protected in expansion. Vatanen is another defender who we would have to protect and would likely force us to change from a 7 and 3 to protecting 4 and 4. That alone adds a lot to Pulj value for us.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

No. Just no. Yak is useless to me. RNH isn't the guy we need.
Same old, same old :laugh:

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

There is no way pulj is worth vatanen right now let alone vats plus rakell. That's two established NHL players one is a 40pt RHD and the other a 40/50pt 2/3c depending on team needs. Prospects don't have that much value. Maybe if pulj can be a NHL guy but Right now he's just a prospect

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Based on what? Potential isn't a tangible thing that you can just look at and evaluate. If it was, scouts wouldn't miss on prospects ever. Larsson took huge strides last year, and there is little reason to think he is completely done developing. Many New Jersey fans think that he still has a lot of growth potential, especially in his offensive numbers as he is apparently a very good puck handler. Its hard to put up points when playing almost exclusively with defensive zone starts, on a team that had a very hard time scoring goals. I'll wait to judge based off of how he fits in Edmonton, but I think Larsson became very underrated while in New Jersey.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Not sure I agree with the potential evaluation here (yes, Larsson's getting overhyped, but that's overcorrecting for same), but "He's not all that great and never will be all that great anyways" has definitely been a common refrain among a few testy Oil fans w/r/t Seth Jones ever since the trade was announced.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
There is no way pulj is worth vatanen right now let alone vats plus rakell. That's two established NHL players one is a 40pt RHD and the other a 40/50pt 2/3c depending on team needs. Prospects don't have that much value. Maybe if pulj can be a NHL guy but Right now he's just a prospect

I disagree with the bolded, however, both teams have their reasons to decline. I asked for an honest opinion of Edmonton fans and the answer was either "No way" or the plus would need to be Rakell to consider it. I'd say it's kind of a fair take considering it would be a trade within division, and both parties would want to come out as bandits.

Actually I could see why some Oiler fans wouldn't even want to take the Vats+Rakell for Pulju. Puljujarvi has that franchise potential and Edmonton can take the risk to see if he gets there. Pulju ending up as any less than Rakell seems unlikely while his upside tops most if not all NHL prospects in the world. If he reaches his ceiling, he will be worth Vats+Rakell and then some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad