Proposal: Best RHD to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton needs a PMD that is a RHD that can QB PP and is at lease average defensively . What teams would have 1 to offer up and at what cost ?

1st RD pick in 2017 is available unprotected for the right D

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
This has been beaten to death around here this summer. There isn't a RHD available at a cost that makes sense for the Oilers.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
What about Klefbom+ small add for trouba?

EDM has sekera, nurse, Davidson and Reinhart for the left side

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
What about Klefbom+ small add for trouba?

EDM has sekera, nurse, Davidson and Reinhart for the left side
You missed the part of PP QB PMD? No interest in trading Klefbom for Troubas contract demands.
Nurse should be in the AHL this year and Davidson is not a top 4 D

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
If, and it is a BIG if, the Blues are out of it by the deadline, I can see Shattenkirk being moved for a top10 pick+ something else.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No team is going to give Edmonton that kind of player when you have McDavid; unless you're giving up a big return and "losing" the trade.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If, and it is a BIG if, the Blues are out of it by the deadline, I can see Shattenkirk being moved for a top10 pick+ something else.

Why would a team finishing in the bottom 10 want Shattenkirk? I mean...I'd love it but that doesn't make sense.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Edmonton needs a PMD that is a RHD that can QB PP and is at lease average defensively . What teams would have 1 to offer up and at what cost ?

1st RD pick in 2017 is available unprotected for the right D

They need that RHD next year, after the expansion draft has occurred. The Oilers aren't in contender mode just yet so blowing assets and future cap space on drastically improving now makes very little sense.

Getting Larsson will help them improve this season, as will a healthy roster. Near the end of next season we'll have a better idea of what our needs are long-term and have a better idea of where our young guys fit in, if at all.

NinjaSnowman

Apr 7, 2014
I'm not sure it even makes sense for the Oilers to trade for a good RHD at the moment unless we're trading Sekera for him. With the expansion draft looming the Oilers are likely only going to protect 3 dmen. Klefbom, and Larsson are locks to be protected. If Edmonton traded for a good RHD and kept Sekera, Edmonton would have to protect Sekera (NMC), and likely lose the new RHD to the draft.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
They need that RHD next year, after the expansion draft has occurred. The Oilers aren't in contender mode just yet so blowing assets and future cap space on drastically improving now makes very little sense.

Getting Larsson will help them improve this season, as will a healthy roster. Near the end of next season we'll have a better idea of what our needs are long-term and have a better idea of where our young guys fit in, if at all.

This. What sense does it make for the Oilers to spend a pile of assets on another RHD (when they aren't going to be in the playoffs anyway), only to have him be lost to expansion?

Edit: ^beat me to it

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Why would a team finishing in the bottom 10 want Shattenkirk? I mean...I'd love it but that doesn't make sense.

I can see Chia pulling the trigger if Edmonton is around 10th in the West and just outside the playoff picture and thinks Shatty puts them over the top. Maybe he also thinks he can re-sign him in the offseason.

Meanwhile most of us DON'T believe the Oilers will make the playoffs and that pick winds up in the top10. It has happened before and can happen again at the deadline.

If kirk is moved at the deadline it will be to a playoff team

I think if STL is moving Shatty they'll take the best deal they can, not necessarily to a playoff contender. Rebuilding teams like Edmonton can still take a chance on him since he's only 27 and has a lot of mileage left.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Anaheim needs to trade a D-man and since Vatanen isn't as good as Fowler, I hope it's him.

Would be a perfect fit in Edmonton.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Anaheim needs to trade a D-man and since Vatanen isn't as good as Fowler, I hope it's him.

Would be a perfect fit in Edmonton.

Vats isn't getting traded after they made such a big deal about re-signing him. And unless Drai+ is coming back, I have no interest in giving the Oilers a player like Vats to help them. If they want Vats, they have to give up a big return to make it worth it for us.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I can see Chia pulling the trigger if Edmonton is around 10th in the West and just outside the playoff picture and thinks Shatty puts them over the top. Maybe he also thinks he can re-sign him in the offseason.

Meanwhile most of us DON'T believe the Oilers will make the playoffs and that pick winds up in the top10. It has happened before and can happen again at the deadline.

I think if STL is moving Shatty they'll take the best deal they can, not necessarily to a playoff contender. Rebuilding teams like Edmonton can still take a chance on him since he's only 27 and has a lot of mileage left.

What they're saying is that there's almost a 0% chance a team that far out of a playoff spot will give up a first round pick for Kevin Shattenkirk. If the Oilers are 10th at the deadline? With four teams to pass? There's no way Chiarelli would do that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think as we get closer to the trade deadline you will see a few teams more willing to part with their #4 defenceman. Best thing for Edmonton to do for now is get a cheap fill in like Franson or Wideman. Then either hope a team like Nashville is willing to move Ellis or wait until the offseason and throw a Brinks truck at Burns.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Any team that is holding a potential top 10 pick at the deadline will also be out of it and wouldn't be looking for a 15 game rental :laugh:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
No team is going to give Edmonton that kind of player when you have McDavid; unless you're giving up a big return and "losing" the trade.
Yup. The Oilers in the 80's, and Pens of the early 90's were never able to make a trade without losing :help:

The theories kids come up with these days :laugh:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'm not sure it even makes sense for the Oilers to trade for a good RHD at the moment unless we're trading Sekera for him. With the expansion draft looming the Oilers are likely only going to protect 3 dmen. Klefbom, and Larsson are locks to be protected. If Edmonton traded for a good RHD and kept Sekera, Edmonton would have to protect Sekera (NMC), and likely lose the new RHD to the draft.

Tbh I think the oilers are more likely to protect 4 dmen with the roster they have now.

It's davidson vs pouliot\yak\maroon for the players they would lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad