Proposal: Best LHD to Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The only trouble with that is there is no way that the Wild would want to wait yet another year for a pick, while you are plugging a top 4 Dman (who is locked up and in his prime) in right away. A mid tier 18 pick wouldn't be ready till 2021-22 or so, and even then is chancy. I think BUFF just has to determine whether or not a Scandella will help them enough to get them out of the bottom 7 or 8 spots. I suspect so, making reasonable assumptions of improvement with your young studs. If Sabres improve as they should this year they won't be in the running for a top 5 pick in 2017.

There is no consensus amongst Wild fans on who they would rather trade. Scandella's toughness is sorely needed on our somewhat effete team, while Brodin's relative youth and possible upside is also hard to let go.

Fair points. It's more to do with the three team lottery... I guess at the end of the day if that were the stumbling block I'd end up caving in & giving Wild the pick wherever it was. If it ends up top three because of a lottery.. thats just how it goes. You're right - with the talent at F you would expect the team to be nearer to the playoffs than finishing bottom three... the D still worries me though.

What does this have to with not wanting to part with Borgen and Baptiste, it's called preference and opinion, you have your just as I do, amazing how that works

Everyone is allowed an opinion... I just don't understand an opinion that wants to keep hold of two pretty middling prospects who may well never make an impact at NHL level at the expense of acquiring a proven top 4 NHL LHD when the team is in dire need of one.

How was the Sabres defense a train wreck? They were 16th best in GA and it definitely wasn't due to goalies standing on their heads.

I'm not the biggest fan of stats... but look into anything involving both the Sabres D & creating offense last season - it paints an ugly picture.

You clearly aren't familiar with the Sabres situation. Pysyk was playing 3rd pairing minutes and stuck behind 2 better dmen on the right side. Meanwhile on the left Gorges was the best option, who is a very good bottom pairing player but nothing more. He was forced into playing top pairing and got schooled by teams best players. Getting Kulikov for the top pair helps to slot players like McCabe and Gorges into their proper roles which makes them more effective and balances the defense. The one thing missing is depth so health will be key on the blueline.

I clearly am.

I didn't say Kulikov for Pysyk was a bad move - in fact I think it could be a good step in the right direction.

But it's nowhere near enough. It doesn't turn a slightly above AHL calibre group into a solid NHL playoff calibre group.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How about youngsters for youngsters: Hanifin for Reinhart? Canes need a 1st line center that Reinhart can probably grow into, Sabres need LHD with potential for a top pairing. Plus Noah would probably love to play with Jack.

Oops! Sorry, didn't see Reinhart was off the table in the OP. Nevermind...

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
I'm not a proposal starter (in 10+years of posting this may even be my first).

Inspired by the 'Best RHD to Edmonton' thread however - what is the best LHD Buffalo could realistically trade for ?

For the purpose of discussion ROR, Eichel, Reinhart & Ristolainen are off the table. You would assume recently signed players such as Okposo / Kulikov are as well.

This said - everyone & everything else is available. I'd imagine Buffalo still has a number of assets which would appeal to other teams.

I'm not expecting a Norris candidate. Just someone either capable of forming a decent partnership with Ristolainen or rounding out a solid top4 playing alongside Bogosian.

I'm sick of discussing Cam Fowler. He'd be a good addition but this been debated to death.

I think the expansion draft situation typically gets blown out of proportion as well. So please no comments on this. If I can improve the team from the Sabres POV I don't care about the possibility of losing Jake McCabe.

For the record I don't see a move being made by the start of the season to be honest - but its fun to speculate. I also expect our current D group as a whole to be left wanting this season so hope moves are made somewhere along the line.

Thanks in advance for any reasonable responses.

I have a feeling if La Kings flop and it look`s like after 65-70 games they are not going to make into the playoffs they might trade Alec Martinez.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
How about youngsters for youngsters: Hanifin for Reinhart? Canes need a 1st line center that Reinhart can probably grow into, Sabres need LHD with potential for a top pairing. Plus Noah would probably love to play with Jack.

Before last year's draft I was all over Reinhart for Hanifin - huge fan of his.

But with the way Reinhart developed the past season it's almost impossible for him to be traded. I'd personally consider it from the Sabres POV although most others probably wouldn't... with the way Reinhart played last season though the Canes would likely be adding.

This isn't a thread for blockbuster deals though... I"m looking for more realistic options.

I think Martinez might be a good addition - what would LA be looking for ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The other reason that the Sabres might prefer Scandella over Brodin is that he would be useful as a shot on the PP. He has a bomb, but Suter takes all the LHD PP time on our team. In other words, he has got some offensive game, but Suter , Spurgeon, Dumba, and now Reilly are taking a lot of the offensive oppos on the Wild and Brodin and Scandella are given the tough defensive minutes.

Anyway, a trade seems unlikely now, unless it's just before the expansion draft. I can't see the Wild trading a year of Scandella/ Brodin before they even get to pick a player at a yet to be determined spot in the 2017 draft. Fletcher really should've done something this summer with Buffalo, or someone else.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

I endorse this product and/or service.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
These 4 guys need a change of scenery...........

Mark Staal or Dan Girardi for E. Kane or Matt Moulson

our dumpster fires.......for yours

Our dumpster fires aren't on contracts anywhere near as awful. Also Kane is actually a good hockey player.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Im sure it has been posted but

E. Kane

for

Edler(ntc) conditional 2nd round pick (lower pick between our and columbus pick from Torts)

Pick is added for age or as some may say its a Benning specialty to include a pick in trade

Salaries are close, Edler is a bit older but doesnt come with the baggage so to speak, just a NTC that I don't know if he would waive for Buffalo. Any Swedes their?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The other reason that the Sabres might prefer Scandella over Brodin is that he would be useful as a shot on the PP. He has a bomb, but Suter takes all the LHD PP time on our team. In other words, he has got some offensive game, but Suter , Spurgeon, Dumba, and now Reilly are taking a lot of the offensive oppos on the Wild and Brodin and Scandella are given the tough defensive minutes.

Anyway, a trade seems unlikely now, unless it's just before the expansion draft. I can't see the Wild trading a year of Scandella/ Brodin before they even get to pick a player at a yet to be determined spot in the 2017 draft. Fletcher really should've done something this summer with Buffalo, or someone else.

I'd personally like to see Sabres acquire either.

I think you're right though. A deal made a lot of sense pre draft - I still say the teams are good trading partners however.

As for Edler - he's a little older than ideal however if it only took Kane... then sign me up. Not sure he'd waive NTC however.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
BTW, who's more highly regarded, Bailey or Fasching? Seems close, no?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not a lot of teams are lining up to take Ennis after last year's season. Especially with 3 more years at 4.6m cap space wise. Wild certainly can't take him...we are small enough up front as is, and his cap hit won't work for us.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Makes no sense. Ennis' value is a decent 2nd. So that means Brodin for Fasching.

Yea, I see your point. How about a third? That would be a decent 1st (Brodin) and a 3rd for a late first, high 2nd (Fasching) and a high 2nd, late 1st (Ennis)

Last edited:

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
I have a feeling if La Kings flop and it look`s like after 65-70 games they are not going to make into the playoffs they might trade Alec Martinez.

One of the players I looked at for a proposal.

Girgensons
McCabe
Asplund

?

I don't think Martinez is moved, and I don't know if the value is there, but I gave it a shot.

La Kings are going to procect 8-1 for expansion. By trading one of their top 4 D-man they could go for 7-3-1. So if they flop they might make a mini build and trade Martinez, but he has really good contract so probably they don`t trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad