Proposal: Best LHD to Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Agreed. And me personally wouldn't be comfortable giving fasching as the kicker. I'd give someone slightly lower on my board like baptiste however.

Do Wild fans want to trade Scandella before Brodin unanimously ?

I'd go as far as Fasching+1st on the basis that the 1st was protected somehow. If the pick was top three, top five or top ten, whatever - then Wild would get the '18 pick instead. Tim Murray loves his overly complicated conditions. That could be a good trade for both teams - I think there is potential between these two teams.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
2017 1st
Borgen
Baptiste

?

Me personally I'd take that deal. Borgen is a boom or bust prospect who ranks between 12 and 20 depending on what sabres fan you ask. If that's the hold up on aquiring either defender then it's serious hfboards-itis where prospects are the be all end all.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
See above your post:)

Everyone values their prospects differently and that's cool. I also rank fasching above bailey and baptiste where several sabres fans would disagree...it is what it is. We need another legit top 4 defender to push mccabe back to the bottom pair...I'm ready to compete now so I'd give more. Ce La vie

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Personally I'd look for a RHD. Kulikov and McCabe are our two LHD in the top-4. Guhle will likely be up in buffalo and down in Rochester throughout next season. Ristolainen has the top RHD spot locked. Bogosian is a solid top-4 guy, but if we could get a RHD that put him on our 3rd pair... That'd be optimal, 3 totally capable defensive pairings.

That being said, I don't think it's looked at again until the deadline at the earliest.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Everyone values their prospects differently and that's cool. I also rank fasching above bailey and baptiste where several sabres fans would disagree...it is what it is. We need another legit top 4 defender to push mccabe back to the bottom pair...I'm ready to compete now so I'd give more. Ce La vie

As you should. Buffalo would be the team calling, the ask is the ask.

EDIT: personally, I think Minnesota should ask for more than my proposal.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

This is why I think Murray should wait for an opportunity now. He got Kulikov for now, we'll see what we have in the system and if a good deal comes our way he can consider it. No reason to force anything right now.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Not giving up both Borgen + Baptiste, you can have 1st + Baptiste

:laugh::facepalm:

As for acquiring RHD over LHD... seriously ?

Kulikov hasn't played a game for the Sabres yet. Guhle is still a prospect a long way from being a top 4 NHL player. McCabe too for that matter. Georges is done as far as I can tell.

Risto is the only real 'sure thing' on the back end & if we get 'good Bogo' then add him into the mix as a useful contributor as well.

Aside from possibly upgrading the bottom pairing I don't see the right side being in anywhere near as much trouble or in need of improvement as the left side.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I agree, and thats where team's meet in the middle or overpay. I agreed that fasching may be too much for us, a team now devoid of "help me now" prospects but would overpay in more than one decent good chance prospects. I'd give the first unprotected and Baptiste without flinching. Its the other add or two that makes it interesting...For what its worth I don't think Murray is "calling" any more with the Kulikov add but he'd be bad at his job if he didnt listen to an offer with the player quality such as we've discussed.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do Wild fans want to trade Scandella before Brodin unanimously ?

I'd go as far as Fasching+1st on the basis that the 1st was protected somehow. If the pick was top three, top five or top ten, whatever - then Wild would get the '18 pick instead. Tim Murray loves his overly complicated conditions. That could be a good trade for both teams - I think there is potential between these two teams.

The only trouble with that is there is no way that the Wild would want to wait yet another year for a pick, while you are plugging a top 4 Dman (who is locked up and in his prime) in right away. A mid tier 18 pick wouldn't be ready till 2021-22 or so, and even then is chancy. I think BUFF just has to determine whether or not a Scandella will help them enough to get them out of the bottom 7 or 8 spots. I suspect so, making reasonable assumptions of improvement with your young studs. If Sabres improve as they should this year they won't be in the running for a top 5 pick in 2017.

There is no consensus amongst Wild fans on who they would rather trade. Scandella's toughness is sorely needed on our somewhat effete team, while Brodin's relative youth and possible upside is also hard to let go.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. And me personally wouldn't be comfortable giving fasching as the kicker. I'd give someone slightly lower on my board like baptiste however.

Yeah, but we are trying to compete now. Fasching MIGHT become an effective bottom sixer on the Wild with top 6 upside in the future.

Baptiste?

Fletcher won't be down with sending away a top 4 Dman without getting a least someone who can contribute now. Ideally it would be a young, contractually set, top 6 forward with top line upside. Fasching and a first is a second best.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Me personally I'd take that deal. Borgen is a boom or bust prospect who ranks between 12 and 20 depending on what sabres fan you ask. If that's the hold up on aquiring either defender then it's serious hfboards-itis where prospects are the be all end all.

Heh-heh.

One thought occurs to me. A trade for a 2017 first could have a clause that kicks in if it's a top 5(for example)with the Wild having to send back a second in that instance. Would make things a bit less painful.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
The only way Buffalo trades their first is if it's top three lottery protected.

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
:laugh::facepalm:

As for acquiring RHD over LHD... seriously ?

Kulikov hasn't played a game for the Sabres yet. Guhle is still a prospect a long way from being a top 4 NHL player. McCabe too for that matter. Georges is done as far as I can tell.

Risto is the only real 'sure thing' on the back end & if we get 'good Bogo' then add him into the mix as a useful contributor as well.

Aside from possibly upgrading the bottom pairing I don't see the right side being in anywhere near as much trouble or in need of improvement as the left side.

What does this have to with not wanting to part with Borgen and Baptiste, it's called preference and opinion, you have your just as I do, amazing how that works

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Can't guarantee where we will land and I assume wed want the player now so I'd put up our 1st now unprotected for either player easily and would add if we placed outside bottom 10. I'd kill for either player at this point.

Well, then Rienhart straight up is downright reasonable :P

In all seriousness, I'm more interested in Fasching than your 17 1st. We're in no man's land atm and I think we have to build around the first player that emerges as a franchise changing guy. We'd know what we have in Fasching sooner, making him more appealing than a time capsule until 2020. Value of Brodin/Scandella is higher imo so you're still adding, but the 1st rounder for MN LHD has been beaten to death.

I'll also add that I'd pretty much give you whatever two+ pieces you want for Rienhart. You'd be smart not to take that, but hey worth a shot eh?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Well, then Rienhart straight up is downright reasonable :P

In all seriousness, I'm more interested in Fasching than your 17 1st. We're in no man's land atm and I think we have to build around the first player that emerges as a franchise changing guy. We'd know what we have in Fasching sooner, making him more appealing than a time capsule until 2020. Value of Brodin/Scandella is higher imo so you're still adding, but the 1st rounder for MN LHD has been beaten to death.

I'll also add that I'd pretty much give you whatever two+ pieces you want for Rienhart. You'd be smart not to take that, but hey worth a shot eh?

How about Fasching, Moulson, and a top 3 protected 1st for Brodin, Minnys 2nd, and Stewert.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Despite being a bit of a head-case, Kane is still an effective player.

Anaheim makes way too much sense imo.

Kane for Fowler (with other pieces involved) is imo, an obvious connection.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I just do not understand this line of thought.

Swapping out Pysyk for Kulikov will not fix the trainwreck that was the Sabres D last season - I'm confident of that.

As for McCabe - I mentioned him in the OP. I want something more proven as part of a solid top four. If he makes a huge step forward & gains some kind of consistency then I may reconsider. As it is - he is nowhere near imo.

Brodin is another one done to death.. I personally like him - I see him as a fit & would give a 1st + in order to get him. Other Sabre fans wouldn't however.
How was the Sabres defense a train wreck? They were 16th best in GA and it definitely wasn't due to goalies standing on their heads.

You clearly aren't familiar with the Sabres situation. Pysyk was playing 3rd pairing minutes and stuck behind 2 better dmen on the right side. Meanwhile on the left Gorges was the best option, who is a very good bottom pairing player but nothing more. He was forced into playing top pairing and got schooled by teams best players. Getting Kulikov for the top pair helps to slot players like McCabe and Gorges into their proper roles which makes them more effective and balances the defense. The one thing missing is depth so health will be key on the blueline.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What happened to offer sheeting Lindholm?

I think Buffalo only has about $7.2 million left. How can they OS Lindholm plus still have to resign Ristolanien considering that both Ristolanien and Lindholm both could command around $6 million to $6.5 million per long term. Doubt that Buffalo can afford to OS Lindholm any more.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Despite being a bit of a head-case, Kane is still an effective player.

Anaheim makes way too much sense imo.

Kane for Fowler (with other pieces involved) is imo, an obvious connection.

I can see the logic, but Kane's value is in the gutter right now. He also makes 1.25 million more than Fowler, so salary wise it doesn't work. So unless Buffalo is retaining and/or taking Bieksa/Stoner back I don't see a deal happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad