Proposal: Best LHD to Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
How about youngsters for youngsters: Hanifin for Reinhart? Canes need a 1st line center that Reinhart can probably grow into, Sabres need LHD with potential for a top pairing. Plus Noah would probably love to play with Jack.

Oops! Sorry, didn't see Reinhart was off the table in the OP. Nevermind...

Wouldn't this be a fun one for the hockey world. It's very tough to ever consider giving up Reinhart, though, just like it would be for Canes fans and Hanifin. Probably a very even trade as is. Don't think I'd pull the trigger, I just wouldn't have the courage.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wouldn't this be a fun one for the hockey world. It's very tough to ever consider giving up Reinhart, though, just like it would be for Canes fans and Hanifin. Probably a very even trade as is. Don't think I'd pull the trigger, I just wouldn't have the courage.

This has been talked about before.

It could happen when Reinhart is due a second contract in 2018. Eichel also gets a second contract so if he was given a big contract (after proving himself) to like $8M per for 8 yrs then Buffalo likely will be really close to the cap and forward heavy in contracts with ROR and Okposo signed.

potentially in 2018 buffalo could look like this:

Faching-ROR-Okposo line=$15M
Nylander-Eichel-Ennis line=$13.6M
Foligno-Larsson-Girgensons line= $7M
4th line are their younger players = $5M (5 players)

--Moulson is drafted in the expansion draft

forwards=$40.3M

on defense:

LHD1-Risto pair= $11M
McCabe-Bogosian pair=$6.8M
LHD2-RHD bottom 3= $7.2M
Dman

goalies:

Lehner $4M
backup $1M

G/D cost = $30M

LHD1 could be a resigned Kulikov (or another veteran) and LHD 2 = ???

If Buffalo resigned Reinhart to a high contract like $6M it will force them to have a younger player as LD.

To have team and salary balance they may acquire a quality Dman of similar age like a Hanifan for Reinhart.

ideally you want to have forward/defense salary balance of around 4/7 of cap in forwards and 3/7 in Dmen/G

If they dont do that then they will likely be exposed to offer sheets for the wingers on their team which could see some of their younger forwards traded off for picks and younger prospects to manage the cap they were under.

i think orlov could make sense for buffalo like for larsson or a 2nd pick

Not happening ---Larsson + 2nd >>>Orlov.

Im not at all convinced Orlov can be a top 4 Dman.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not happening ---Larsson + 2nd >>>Orlov.

Im not at all convinced Orlov can be a top 4 Dman.

He said "or" not "+". That said, no, Larsson + 2nd is not >>> Orlov.
Too many >. I'm not at all convinced Larsson can be a middle 6 F on a good team.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Would Buffalo have any interest in Flyers LD Nick Schultz for 4th round draft pick in 2017.
Flyers could even retain 875k leaving Buffalo to pay only 1.375mil for last year of Schultz's contract.

Schultz is a veteran defensemen that could bring some leadership qualities on the ice and in the locker room for the Sabres defense. Schultz was also the Flyers best shot blocking defensemen last season so it could be a help for the goaltender Robin Lehner.
Schultz could fit in on the Sabres roster as the 6th defensemen, but at his age he may not be able to play a full 82 game season, so it would also give a chance to some of Buffalo's younger defensemen to split some playing time with Schultz.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Would Buffalo have any interest in Flyers LD Nick Schultz for 4th round draft pick in 2017.
Flyers could even retain 875k leaving Buffalo to pay only 1.375mil for last year of Schultz's contract.

Schultz is a veteran defensemen that could bring some leadership qualities on the ice and in the locker room for the Sabres defense. Schultz was also the Flyers best shot blocking defensemen last season so it could be a help for the goaltender Robin Lehner.
Schultz could fit in on the Sabres roster as the 6th defensemen, but at his age he may not be able to play a full 82 game season, so it would also give a chance to some of Buffalo's younger defensemen to split some playing time with Schultz.

No thanks, we already have Josh Gorges

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
McCabe
Franson
Bailey

For

Edler

This is as good as Kane/Edler swap for me - I'd still do it from a Sabres POV very easily. I think the money works as well although I haven't checked. I'd expect Edler to be worth more TBH.

I'd consider Jaeger's strange counter of replacing McCabe with the Sabres 1st... but is McCabe honestly worth more than our 1st round pick next year ? I highly doubt it - I realise that NHL ready D prospects/youngsters are thin on the ground... maybe I'm just lower than most on McCabe.

57special said:
BTW, who's more highly regarded, Bailey or Fasching? Seems close, no?

Yes I'd say very close. In the recent prospect ranking poll Bailey was ranked 2nd Fasching 4th. That maybe because Bailey is a local player & we saw more of him last year. I'm not sure. I think both are good (but not great) prospects who I'm assuming should have solid NHL careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad