Proposal: Best LHD to Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm not a proposal starter (in 10+years of posting this may even be my first).

Inspired by the 'Best RHD to Edmonton' thread however - what is the best LHD Buffalo could realistically trade for ?

For the purpose of discussion ROR, Eichel, Reinhart & Ristolainen are off the table. You would assume recently signed players such as Okposo / Kulikov are as well.

This said - everyone & everything else is available. I'd imagine Buffalo still has a number of assets which would appeal to other teams.

I'm not expecting a Norris candidate. Just someone either capable of forming a decent partnership with Ristolainen or rounding out a solid top4 playing alongside Bogosian.

I'm sick of discussing Cam Fowler. He'd be a good addition but this been debated to death.

I think the expansion draft situation typically gets blown out of proportion as well. So please no comments on this. If I can improve the team from the Sabres POV I don't care about the possibility of losing Jake McCabe.

For the record I don't see a move being made by the start of the season to be honest - but its fun to speculate. I also expect our current D group as a whole to be left wanting this season so hope moves are made somewhere along the line.

Thanks in advance for any reasonable responses.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I didn't follow the Sabres closely last year, but, between Kulikov, Franson, and Georges, who would be the odd man out?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think Kulikov will get a chance to form that solid pairing with Risto this year and that McCabe forms a pretty solid pair with Bogosian. Jake McCabe seems like he's taken some pretty big steps forward every year since he was drafted. He forced his way onto the Sabres last year and played well in our top 4. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. I expect another good step forward in his development (especially with Terry Murray helping him along).

I don't think Buffalo really needs to spend more assets for a LHD right now, unless someone of Fowler's caliber becomes available for a price Buffalo can afford. Otherwise I'd like to just see what we have. We add another D and it kind of forces Buffalo into protecting 8 skaters in expansion as opposed to 10. I'd rather protect Risto, Bogo and McCabe (and try to re-sign Kulikov after)+ 7 forwards as opposed to only 4 forwards and 4 D.

I am curious to see what type of LHD is offered up in this thread though.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I didn't follow the Sabres closely last year, but, between Kulikov, Franson, and Georges, who would be the odd man out?

Either Franson or Gorges. I'd guess Franson, but I could see Muray wanting to move Gorges since he has more term left on his contract.

It's hard to say right now. I guess it'll also depend on how Kulikov does this year and how much he's looking for on a new deal. His contract is up at the end of the season. Just another reason why I think Buffalo stands pat unless someone offers a very clear upgrade on what we already have.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
These 4 guys need a change of scenery...........

Mark Staal or Dan Girardi for E. Kane or Matt Moulson

our dumpster fires.......for yours

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
id give up brodin or scandella for a top 10 1st rd pick, if you are in that position pre lottery.

Can't guarantee where we will land and I assume wed want the player now so I'd put up our 1st now unprotected for either player easily and would add if we placed outside bottom 10. I'd kill for either player at this point.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
No need for one right now

I just do not understand this line of thought.

Swapping out Pysyk for Kulikov will not fix the trainwreck that was the Sabres D last season - I'm confident of that.

As for McCabe - I mentioned him in the OP. I want something more proven as part of a solid top four. If he makes a huge step forward & gains some kind of consistency then I may reconsider. As it is - he is nowhere near imo.

Brodin is another one done to death.. I personally like him - I see him as a fit & would give a 1st + in order to get him. Other Sabre fans wouldn't however.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
1st and Fasching for Scandella. That way we get a player ,too, albeit a prospect. We need forward help now. A draft pick only for the Wild wouldn't be ready for years, and even then it's a risk. There is virtually no risk with Scandella. He is a top 4 Dman, probably top 2 on the Sabres.

I understand that it would suck for the Sabres if they got a top 3 pick AND had to lose Fasching. Not too sure what can be done about that. It's not like we can give back Fasching if the Sabres get a top 5 pick. To be honest, with Scandella on their blue line, I think that the Sabres have a chance to be a decent team, and be picking somewhere around #15. You've got to assume that Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, etc. are all going to improve.

I am NOT on board with losing Scandella for a 2017 #1 pick( that could be anywhere from 3-17) alone. The time to make a trade like that was this year.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
1st and Fasching for Scandella. That way we get a player ,too, albeit a prospect. We need forward he
P now. A draft pick only for the Wild wouldn't be ready for years, and even then it's a risk. There is virtually no risk with Scandella. He is a top 4 Dman, probably top 2 on the Sabres.

I understand that it would suck for the Sabres if they got a top 3 pick AND had to lose Fasching. Not too sure what can be done about that. It's not like we can give back Fasching if the Sabres get a top 5 pick. To be honest, with Scandella on their blue line, I think that the Sabres have a chance to be a decent team, and be picking somewhere around #15. You've got to assume that Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, etc. are all going to improve.

I am NOT on board with losing Scandella for a 2017 #1 pick( that could be anywhere from 3-17) alone. The time to make a trade like that was this year.

Agreed. And me personally wouldn't be comfortable giving fasching as the kicker. I'd give someone slightly lower on my board like baptiste however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad