Value of: Bennett to Colorado

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It really depends on what he wants on his next contract. Assuming he's going to want market value on that next deal, trading him this off-season for a haul makes a certain amount of sense.

It really does help that the Avs already have an immediate replacement for him. And by trading Toews they can keep Girard for the second pairing.

Byram - Makar
Girard - Manson

But in reality I don't think there's a chance in hell the Avs trade Toews right now.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Seravalli and Gregor speculated on a Girard/Bennett swap about a month ago but it seemed like more of their own idea than what they were actually hearing.
I would think there would have to be some solid pluses on Colorado side but Florida may be that desperate for defense to pull the trigger

Reactions: MisterT

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I would think there would have to be some solid pluses on Colorado side but Florida may be that desperate for defense to pull the trigger

Desperate enough to make move that solves nothing for them?

If Toews is the more valuable player than keep him. Why go asking around only to downgrade your team...

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Considering what Jeannot got it would have to be massive from Colorado.
This is 100% wrong and ALWAYS has been.

If a team decides to overpay for a certain player is DOESN'T reset the market for everyone else.

If the Avalanche decided to pay 5 FIRST ROUND PICKS for Sam Lafferty - do you think it would mean that everyone else that is better than Sam Lafferty (at least 75% of the rest of the league) gets a return that is exponentially more than what the Avs just gave up?

No, absolutely not.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

If a team decides to overpay for a certain player is DOESN'T reset the market for everyone else.

If the Avalanche decided to pay 5 FIRST ROUND PICKS for Sam Lafferty - do you think it would mean that everyone else that is better than Sam Lafferty (at least 75% of the rest of the league) gets a return that is exponentially more than what the Avs just gave up?

No, absolutely not.

It's comical. In the real world if you sell someone a car for 30k and it has a problem with it's wheels coming off, that means the price is going to decrease for others to buy it.

But when it comes to trade valuations for hockey fans, they think that because someone once paid 30k, that price is set in stone and might even go up (if someone else pays 35k for a faulty car).

So in this example, you can say Chiarot or Foligno are the cars that had the wheels fall off. Precedent is not a strong argument for failed trades.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
It's comical. In the real world if you sell someone a car for 30k and it has a problem with it's wheels coming off. That means the price is going to decrease for others to buy it.

But when it comes to trade valuations for hockey fans, they think that because someone once paid 30k, that price is set in stone and might even go up if someone else pays 35k for a faulty car.

So in this example, you can say Chiarot or Foligno are the cars that had the wheels fall off. Precedent is not a strong argument for failed trades.
But why do you have to bring my car into this?

• Haha
Reactions: John Mandalorian

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

No, absolutely not.

Florida has no incentive to sell Bennett unless it's a massive overpayment. Like zero. He's a great fit and brings all the intangibles that you want.

• Love
Reactions: Laus723 and MaWa

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It really does help that the Avs already have an immediate replacement for him. And by trading Toews they can keep Girard for the second pairing.

Byram - Makar
Girard - Manson

But in reality I don't think there's a chance in hell the Avs trade Toews right now.

Toews is far superior to Girard, no way the Avs trade Toews especially on his contact. If they do, they can get a far better return than Bennett. Girard is easily replacable and it gives Florida a replacement from the loss of Weegar.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723 and AvStock

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Florida has no incentive to sell Bennett unless it's a massive overpayment. Like zero. He's a great fit and brings all the intangibles that you want.

Not true. You do have an incentive. At his current salary, he's on a team friendly deal as a 2C. But when Lundell bumps him down to a 3C, he becomes overpaid.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
To summarize
Dater.....
Gaustad got first Jeannot got a draft class
Girard is meh
Florida will be forced to trade Bennett someday
Dater.....

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not saying Florida should sell Bennett - I'm CLEARLY saying that the return that Jeannot got has no bearing on what other teams are going to so or the prices they will pay. It's not like TB reset the market because they paid such a high price for a player who is at best a 3rd liner.

I do think there is an incentive to try and make the playoffs after winning the president's trophy last year but to each their own - I guess what you guys have going on is just fine.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Toews is far superior to Girard, no way the Avs trade Toews especially on his contact. If they do, they can get a far better return than Bennett. Girard is easily replacable and it gives Florida a replacement from the loss of Weegar.

They probably don't, at least right now. But from a contract perspective, it's the smart move. Toews is already 29, a UFA after next season, and is going to want to cash in big on the last big contract of his career. It's going to be pietro-light levels of a bad contract. Let another team desperate for a top pairing guy make that mistake, the Avs don't need to: they already have Makar and Byram.

Girard is underrated (especially by Avs fans). He's only 24 and signed for another 4 years after this season to a very reasonable cap hit. The smart move is to let the old and expensive guy walk and let the kids take over.

But knowing the Avs, I'm confident they'll trade Girard within the next 12 months and give Toews a huge extension just to have a first row seat to watch him decline next to Makar while Byram wastes away on the second pairing.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Not saying Florida should sell Bennett - I'm CLEARLY saying that the return that Jeannot got has no bearing on what other teams are going to so or the prices they will pay. It's not like TB reset the market because they paid such a high price for a player who is at best a 3rd liner.

I do think there is an incentive to try and make the playoffs after winning the president's trophy last year but to each their own - I guess what you guys have going on is just fine.

I mean you can say this all you want but Nashville had no reason to give up Jeannot who they obviously liked a lot and were able to get massive haul because of it. Florida is in the same spot, they need Bennett and have no reason to give him up short of a massive overpayment. He's not an UFA or a problem child, they don't NEED to sell him.

I'm sure the Jeannot deal didn't reset the market on current UFAs or other players that teams are looking to move on from but this isn't the case with Bennett.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
How so? If the Avs didn't have Byram and Toews in front of Girard and he were on one of the top two pairings, you don't think Girard would be perceived differently?

You're argument that Florida should move on from Bennett because eventually he may be slightly overpaid as a 3c (very debatable) is utter nonsense. He wouldn't even be considered a luxury at that point because of all the other things he brings to the table.

I haven't even mentioned Girard or how he is perceived, no idea why you're bringing him up.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I figured they’d want to keep him to see if they can make another push at the cup.

That also makes a certain amount of sense. Toews is really good, and he gives the team a good chance to win. But, he could rightfully demand a massive paycheck in UFA, so there's a risk you lose him after next season for nothing (see Kadri).

And they could also potentially trade him for a decent, youngish 2C with some affordable term, plus a couple of decent picks/prospects to restock the empty prospect pool, and they've still got a pretty good chance to win with Byram taking over Toews role on the top pairing.

Not sure what they'll do, but I'd be having conversations with Toews and his agent about his future.

Reactions: SnS

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
That also makes a certain amount of sense. Toews is really good, and he gives the team a good chance to win. But, he could rightfully demand a massive paycheck in UFA, so there's a risk you lose him after next season for nothing (see Kadri).

And they could also potentially trade him for a decent, youngish 2C with some affordable term, plus a couple of decent picks/prospects to restock the empty prospect pool, and they've still got a pretty good chance to win with Byram taking over Toews role on the top pairing.

Not sure what they'll do, but I'd be having conversations with Toews and his agent about his future.

The alternative would be focusing on someone who can pass as a center for Colorado without giving up the pieces. I wouldn’t give up Toews for Bennett personally but that’s just my opinion. I would do whatever’s needed within reason to resign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad