GDT: Bedard VS Crosby - Tuesday at 7PM Central on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who plays better in the season opener?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
How did Reichel look?

How come Guttman played under 10 mins? Did he get injured, or was playing a 4th-line role, or being sheltered?

Home come Vlasic played a lot more than Kaiser?

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
How did Reichel look?

How come Guttman played under 10 mins? Did he get injured, or was playing a 4th-line role, or being sheltered?

Reichel looked good-- created a couple of Grade A chances,,, very few mistakes-if any...
Reichel would look even better if Kurashev and AA were playing with him... But Kurashev in IR.
AA--looked Most lost w/o his 27/23 linemates.

Guttman- looked good-- But id I were to guess LR was sheltering AA more Than Guttman,,,
AA can be less than smart sometimes-- but His lack of IQ seems hidden if/when he is paired w Reichel-imo

The Kid D-trio-- looked great... was the MOST pleasant surprise all nite... ALL 3 looked comfortable/quick to the pucks.... Of course this was versus the OLD pens

It will be interesting to see how the D-Trio holds up versus faster/Harder forecheck... BUT based on last nite-- I would say the "Rebuild" is on solid ground w this Trio on D.... Land me ANTON SILAYEV this draft... And Hawks will have one of the Fastest and Longest D corps in the League!!!!!

Reactions: Panzerspitze

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
Good comeback win Hawks on tough season opening road trip and of course Bedard’s exciting presence and play…to be a true difference maker…Mrazek played lights out…Competitive all 3 periods…Let the turnaround continue!..,

Reactions: ray c

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Couple thoughts on the game tonight:

- I thought Bedard looked great. There are obviously things he needs to adapt to and I have no doubt he will, but I honestly don't know how anyone could watch that game not come away with the realization that he is a special as he was billed to be. First NHL game as an 18 year old and he was by far and away the best Blackhawk forward on the ice (to me he was the best player on either team, but honestly I find it hard to actually evaluate two teams at the same time haha). The thing that most impressed me, and the reason that the mouth breathers on the main boards may not have been overly impressed, is his IQ and positioning. The Penguins were making a concerted effort to give him no time and space, at the expense of leaving other guys open (see Donato's goal), and he was still able to get 5 shots on goal and 10 attempts. He is just so good at knowing where to be and putting himself in a position to make something happen.

- The young D I think all looked good. I would say Korchinski, Vlasic then Kaiser in that order. Korchinski continues to blow me away. His game just seems to fit the NHL so well. There is no way he is going down if he continues to play like this. Vlasic I also really liked. He didn't look like a rookie out there. He is just so smooth and calm out there. He does need to clean up his outlet passes a bit, rather than just settling for getting the puck out. Kaiser I thought got better as the game went on. Made a few mistakes early on, but settled in nicely after that. Love that he has some jam to his game. I think the biggest thing with all 3 of these rookie D is how much more mobile they make our back end. There were so many times they were able to get back quickly, recover pucks and move it up ice before the Penguins were able to establish a forecheck.

- The PP needs to be tweaked. I am actually not as down on Jones on the PP as many here are, I think he is really good at keeping pucks in and moving the puck, but they have to move Bedard to the other side. Jones has to be a threat to shoot at the top, and right now when he is in a position to shoot his back it towards Bedard. It seems like the plan is to have Bedard on his off wing for the one-timer, but that just isn't his strong point right now. He is much better handling the puck, looking for lanes, and playing catch with the man at the top to get his shot off.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Probably cuz he was paired with Seth (who logs big minutes) and Kaiser was paired with Tinordi. Also Kaiser is still playing on the right side which he basically is getting use to on the fly from the few preseason games and now in the NHL. It isn't easy considering he's played the left side all his life.

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Welcome to NHL, Connor.
That is crazy, when Crosby drafted by 1st overall in 2005, Connor was born in that year.
Now they play against each other.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Reichel looked good-- created a couple of Grade A chances,,, very few mistakes-if any...
Reichel would look even better if Kurashev and AA were playing with him... But Kurashev in IR.

Guttman- looked good-- But id I were to guess LR was sheltering AA more Than Guttman,,,
AA can be less than smart sometimes-- but His lack of IQ seems hidden if/when he is paired w Reichel-imo

The Kid D-trio-- looked great... was the MOST pleasant surprise all nite... ALL 3 looked comfortable/quick to the pucks.... Of course this was versus the OLD pens

It will be interesting to see how the D-Trio holds up versus faster/Harder forecheck... BUT based on last nite-- I would say the "Rebuild" is on solid ground w this Trio on D.... Land me ANTON SILAYEV this draft... And Hawks will have one of the Fastest and Longest D corps in the League!!!!!
Boston has a good forecheck that will put pressure on our group. Boston also plays high and puts pressure on the point (power play), Bedards PP is interesting he's always moving. Mrazek looked good.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Welcome to NHL, Connor.
That is crazy, when Crosby drafted by 1st overall in 2005, Connor was born in that year.
Now they play against each other.
Connor didn't expect that then the ref quickly dropped that puck LOL

Reactions: TJHKY

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Just the line-up decision to put Vlasic with Jones as the "top pair", so that caused more icetime for Vlasic than Kaiser who was on the "3rd pair" with Tinordi.

Will say that I thought that both looked really good, especially Kaiser IMO.

EDIT: Also want to give props to Mrazek - who rightfully IMO catches a lot of flack here. He was flat out amazing, making a boatload of REALLY tough stops on grade A chances to keep the Hawks within striking distance. Shows what the top end potential is when healthy, even if the healthy bit is always a challenge.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Mrazek was outstanding or that one gets away. Hawks skating and overall effort was impressive. The team actually has a pretty good mix. Young Dmen played solid, IMO. Bedard looked passive at the dot and was schooled, but he can only get better, I suppose. Reichel was a little quiet....I think he can be more assertive with his speed. Really nice first game.....tough back to back on the road to start the year, that's for sure.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
His FO% will improve. I mean, he was regularly up against Crosby last night, who is a career 53% FO guy, who has been doing it for 18 years at this level. Crosby is a top 100 all time at the dot. It will take him a bit to adjust to the NHL level in this regard.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Mrazek was outstanding or that one gets away. Hawks skating and overall effort was impressive. The team actually has a pretty good mix. Young Dmen played solid, IMO. Bedard looked passive at the dot and was schooled, but he can only get better, I suppose. Reichel was a little quiet....I think he can be more assertive with his speed. Really nice first game.....tough back to back on the road to start the year, that's for sure.
Bedard's work at the dot got better after a poor start. Reichel needs to up his intensity, IMO. Hawks were pretty good overall but this game was probably a goalie win in most fans eyes. The coverage in our own end was shabby at times but the never quit attitude and comeback is very encouraging..

Reactions: d rake

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
The 4th line is the epitome of Luke Richardson hockey. It looks like the entire team is bought in and it's been a while since I was able to say that.

Perry and Foligno might not be the most fleet of foot any more but I really liked what that line brought to the table. I've been a fan of Dickinson since the Hawks first got him. He's a guy that just seems to bring everything he's got each time he's on the ice.

Mrazek was outstanding last night. He made several great saves that kept the Hawks in the game and allowed for them to come back.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
From what I saw he played well. Jones looked excellent to me but I missed the first 30 minutes. Kaiser is the kid I have a lot of hope for. All around good soldier, we will win a lot of games with players like him.

This defense can transition the puck out of our zone on a dime. This is a far cry from just 2 years ago...a lot to like here albeit 1 game in..
I liked Seth's game as well. Hopefully, he will be more consistent this season.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Hmm. Reichel was not so good. Guttman was quite noticeable and had at least one grade A chance. Hopefully his ice will increase. Perhaps Luke wanted to ease him back after his surgery last season.

I haven't looked at the ice time of players but it seems that Luke played the veteran 4th line more than usual after they showed some good jump early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad