Post-Game Talk: Bearly Lost - Jets Lose 2-1(SO)

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
OT but watching a bit of the Blues Oilers now.

Blues colour guy Darren Pang "Thorburn has had a very very good game"

Made me laugh. I haven't watched enough to know if he's being honest

He got a new XBox for Christmas.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This was Laine's game (+ Helle). By far the best Jet on the ice. First line was close to laughable tonight.

Just chiming in because - although a Bruins fan I'm from Winnipeg and go there every summer and hope these two teams meet in The Finals this year. Love watching The Jets nowadays.

but - After near every game against the Bruins fans of other teams will complain that their first line was terrible. That's Bergeron. If you don't watch him too much you won't see it but that's pretty much what he does all the time - makes fans of other teams complain that that was the worst game by their first line, etc.
More importantly is that they kept that line off the scoreboard as they're the best line in hockey so I think they did a pretty good job as if you can keep Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak off the scoreboard and play them evenly - you've got a decent chance to beat the Bruins.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts...

CSW - I thought they had a really rough night with puck. Wheeler was a total klutz. He messed up the first two PPs badly. Lots of skating but no hands for this group.

ELL - Another strong game for Laine. Most dangerous forward. Ehlers was below his usual performance. Little was okay, but I'm still hoping he gets closer to his play from previous years.

CLT - Another really strong game. They are consistent and good. Very physical.

PHA - They were fine, but not much more. Hendricks was not bad defensively.

44-8 Some rough patches, but generally strong. Trouba wasn't as good as Morrissey.

5-57 Myers was in full klutz mode. Kulikov was generally strong with a couple of glitches.

7-3 Poolman was really strong. Chiarot wasn't.

Hellebuyck was very good.

Overall, I thought the Jets had no hands tonight. Passes were bad, and they mishandled a lot of pucks. Tonight, I think they were in the game mostly due to good structure and hard work.

Refs with some terrible non-calls favoring the home team (again). I usually avoid commenting on the refs, but that's two bad games that went against the Jets.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There were 5 shootouts in the league tonight out of the first 5 finals. Something in the air tonight?

Predator and Hawks look like they're gonna lose clean though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just chiming in because - although a Bruins fan I'm from Winnipeg and go there every summer and hope these two teams meet in The Finals this year. Love watching The Jets nowadays.

but - After near every game against the Bruins fans of other teams will complain that their first line was terrible. That's Bergeron. If you don't watch him too much you won't see it but that's pretty much what he does all the time - makes fans of other teams complain that that was the worst game by their first line, etc.
More importantly is that they kept that line off the scoreboard as they're the best line in hockey so I think they did a pretty good job as if you can keep Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak off the scoreboard and play them evenly - you've got a decent chance to beat the Bruins.
Sure, but Wheeler was genuinely bad tonight. He killed a lot of the Jets offense with bad decisions and bad passes. When he's on, that line is much stronger than they were tonight.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Do you really believe squaring off even against Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta one of the top 5 lines in the NHL with a slight possession advantage is checking out?

Do you think Wheeler and Schief even looked fair tonight?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Pretty good game overall, not sure what was going on with the top couple lines but we were solid. Annoying to lose in the shootout, but I'm glad we got the point to tie Nashville and St. Louis.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't mean this as crapping on Wheeler here, he's a very good player and all but when he's on the PP he reminds me of one of those table top hockey players. He's got his stick hard on the ice, hunched over and pivots deliberately, hard choppy stick handeling, moves up and down in a straight line and then either shots the puck at a bad angle or tries to slap pass it across the ice. Just a humorous observation as it amuses me to watch it. But very frustrating at the same time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you think Wheeler and Schief even looked fair tonight?
Yes. Check out b in vancouver's post above. MBP just may be the best line in the NHL. Bergeron is easily the best defensive center in the NHL. Going even in a hard matchup against them for 20 minutes is doing well. The Jets depth should have taken advantage of their easier matchups.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Also, it blows my mind to see how those who now saw the effects of a true shutdown line going to town on Scheifele's line are:

a) putting all the blame for Bergeron's line being amazing at its job on some combination of Scheifele/Wheeler/Maurice.
b) the same people who desperately want us to create one stacked line that includes the three best goalscorers on the team.

Just a thought.
Completely agree...55 and 26 needed to be better tonight, but they don't exactly get easy matchups going against 2nd lines (at home)....and shutdown lines on the road. We do the exact same thing to other so called 1 lines.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Someone who is channeling my family hockey spirit. I like it.

True story, pardon me for repeating it, the first thing my mother ever saw coming home to meet my dad's parents on a date, was my Memere screaming at the TV, "**** you Mahavolich, I hope you ****ing die you syphillis bastard". My oldest cousin insists that Memere taught him his first words of English, those being "pass the ****ing puck Cournoyer, you greedy son of a *****".

Sports is the toy department of life (H. Cosell) and if you can't have fun playing with it -- even if the fun gets a bit heated -- then why the hell ELSE are you watching billionaires assemble millionaires to play a kid's game that you dream of doing in your off hours as a thousandaire?

This is pretty much my favorite story on HFBoards ever and it never grows old. I have actually told it a few times to friends who process losing poorly and it always brings down the house.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Completely agree...55 and 26 needed to be better tonight, but they don't exactly get easy matchups going against 2nd lines (at home)....and shutdown lines on the road. We do the exact same thing to other so called 1 lines.

That’s all part of being on the number one line, I wasn’t specifically singling out that line in just tonight’s game against the B’s who did provide a tough matchup, Schief and Wheeler have been sub par for a couple weeks now.

Reactions: Kgame

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
This game showed how much Ehlers brings to the ELL line. LL looked lost out there without him. The person who in the GDT was rooting for Wheeler to be hurt on that last play in OT so that "line changes are made" is a PoS. I intended to call them out but I don't have the energy to go back and find it now.

Sure, but Wheeler was genuinely bad tonight. He killed a lot of the Jets offense with bad decisions and bad passes. When he's on, that line is much stronger than they were tonight.

I thought Wheeler was fine. I only recall one bad shift by him at 5 on 5. Scheifele and Wheeler not making line changes and staying out too long at 3 on 3 drives me up the wall but his play at 3 on 3 was okay. PP was bad, Bruins were taking the seam away, in that situation I wish Trouba would just blast away from the point to create chaos instead of Wheeler shooting from the right side but can't blame that all on Wheeler.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Did wheeler start smoking a couple of packs a day? He was putrid on too many shifts and then worse in OT.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That’s all part of being on the number one line, I wasn’t specifically singling out that line in just tonight’s game against the B’s who did provide a tough matchup, Schief and Wheeler have been sub par for a couple weeks now.
I agree. Shief has been sub par and Wheeler always seems like his mind is elsewhere. Maybe thinking about his post game meal or something.

Reactions: sipowicz

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I don't mean this as crapping on Wheeler here, he's a very good player and all but when he's on the PP he reminds me of one of those table top hockey players. He's got his stick hard on the ice, hunched over and pivots deliberately, hard choppy stick handeling, moves up and down in a straight line and then either shots the puck at a bad angle or tries to slap pass it across the ice. Just a humorous observation as it amuses me to watch it. But very frustrating at the same time.

It gets more pronounced as he tires. Something's not right with Wheels right now. Some sort of minor injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad