Barrie Colts 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Was at the game Saturday night. It was a bit of a snooze fest overall. The team sure was having a tough time generating much without Jelsma, Beaudoin or Patterson (kicked out during first shift for slew-footing).

Bright side was that Hilldebrandt looked like he's poised for a great season. & Beaudoin back from Utah for next game. Hopefully Patterson isn't suspended but I think the match penalty comes with a 2 game suspension? I thought the call was a bit weak...

Big Elliason needs a few games to get acquainted...will be easier for the D to roll when Akey gets back as Tiller can slot into a 5-6 pairing with Passmore or Handsor. Elliason I thought has potential. He can skate well for a big guy and has some hands. Hopefully he gains confidence and blossoms over the next few months.

Looking forward to seeing the lineup come together as we get our vets back. I'm still bullish on this team coming together to be a force, especially after the performances seen in the playoffs last season and seeing how Dominant Beaudoin looked in pre-season.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Was at the game Saturday night. It was a bit of a snooze fest overall. The team sure was having a tough time generating much without Jelsma, Beaudoin or Patterson (kicked out during first shift for slew-footing).

Bright side was that Hilldebrandt looked like he's poised for a great season. & Beaudoin back from Utah for next game. Hopefully Patterson isn't suspended but I think the match penalty comes with a 2 game suspension? I thought the call was a bit weak...

Big Elliason needs a few games to get acquainted...will be easier for the D to roll when Akey gets back as Tiller can slot into a 5-6 pairing with Passmore or Handsor. Elliason I thought has potential. He can skate well for a big guy and has some hands. Hopefully he gains confidence and blossoms over the next few months.

Looking forward to seeing the lineup come together as we get our vets back. I'm still bullish on this team coming together to be a force, especially after the performances seen in the playoffs last season and seeing how Dominant Beaudoin looked in pre-season.
I think the team has plenty of potential aswell I just hope Marty is able to get all that potential out of them. Even once the full roster is healthy and back together I do think adding someone to the top 6 has to happen could be for a guy like Pinelli in Ottawa or something like that especially when teams like Oshawa and Brampton start to add players.

Reactions: Leviathan899

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Confirmed that Patterson is suspended for 2 games. Kinda surprised to be honest after the Sudbury slew foot suspensions were taken away. Agree with OHLColtsPuck, it was a weak call.

Hopefully the boys get a good week of practice in as there is some tough games this weekend. It's been reported Akey will be back this week. Hope to see him in the lineup Thursday. Will be great to see Beaudoin back.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
That's too bad about Patterson.

Looks like Akey is back in town so he'll be ready to go Thursday night. Going to be a good tilt against the Steelheads, looking forward to it.

Reactions: JetsColts13

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Well Oshawa got Barlow so now I guess u could say Barrie Brantford and Brampton are back on the clock lmao. Hearing the first reported news of Wakely in north bay to Kingston may not happen I wonder if Barrie would look into him especially now with Jelsma out for a bit a trade involving maybe a guy like Jaiden Newton and picks and get Wakely for more top end talent come playoffs. A top 9 of
Jelsma Wakely Hemming
York Beaudoin Patterson
Stewart Gardiner Moses

That would have to be as good as almost anyone in the league along with the amazing top 4 D and Hillebrandt in net and still having Vaughan on the team would be incredible. It would also most likely mean Wigle would be the odd man out as Barrie would had 2 many centres but there’s probably some bottom end teams that would pick up a veteran like him to help a younger squad develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blake101

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I think Marty should bide his time and see how the team performs as put together before doing anything drastic.

I'd like to see PV94 given a bit more of an opportunity than what I'm seeing as well. Kid seems poised to be a great player but if he's riding the bench all game he won't develop. With Patterson out for next two games, hopefully Vaughan sees a bit more time.

Really looking forward to seeing Akey return tonight. Hope he has a great bounce back from injury season. Would love to see him pop off and be considered for the WJHC team.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Agree with taking some time before making another deal. The Colts aren't swimming in assets after the Gardiner, Bertucci,Elliason deals so they need to be sure. With that said I'd lean towards a top 6 LW upgrade on York. I have been left wanting more in his play since camp and it will be cheaper to get an OA. Would keep Wigle as he's a good and reliable 3C and can be moved up the lineup if needed.

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Agree with taking some time before making another deal. The Colts aren't swimming in assets after the Gardiner, Bertucci,Elliason deals so they need to be sure. With that said I'd lean towards a top 6 LW upgrade on York. I have been left wanting more in his play since camp and it will be cheaper to get an OA. Would keep Wigle as he's a good and reliable 3C and can be moved up the lineup if needed.
Trent swick on Kitchener would be a HUGE upgrade literally and figuratively

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Can’t score at all right now only 1 goal by a forward in 8 periods of play
Missing 2 of our top 6 forwards (including our captain and best forward) and arguably our #1 dman plus Brampton is a really strong team. Not time to panic.
Some thoughts:
-Jelsma will make a huge difference plus he will bring the boys a strong positive never give up hard working example every game
-Akey will bring a lot more confidence and puck moving from the back end
-Bertucci has struggled so far in regular season, I think he is trying to do too much but he's also getting acquainted with new system and new teammates
-Elliasson needs time to adjust as well, I think he needs to sit on the third pairing

For now I'd go with the following lines/D-pairings:
York-Beaudoin-Hemming
Stewart-Patterson-Moses
Wigle-Gardiner-N.Newton
Lowe-J. Newton-Vaughan

Tiller-Bertucci
Aitcheson-Passmore
Handsor-Eliasson (limited minutes & easier matchups)

The D is really thin without Akey unless Bertucci starts getting his legs under him.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Barrie was not able to contain Bramptons #1 line at all. Its early in the season and like mentioned the new players have to learn the systems and players.
Missing Jelsma, Akey and Patterson didn't help; however, it does allow other players to step up and showcase what they can do when given a bigger role.
Way too early to consider going after a top player. Maybe after the team has played 20 games or so. Assets are scarce and must be used wisely.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Reminds me of honestly the last 3 seasons where they can't complete a pass for the first month of the season. It seems all lack of structure and players trying to do too much by themselves. Newton making a few high danger passes and moves near the Blueline that don't work in the OHL. Moses being soft on pucks or holding onto it too long as examples. Lots of new players and line combos so definitely not time to panic, but they need to buy in, and Akey is cleared for contact so hopefully he's good to go Saturday. should give the team a boost. Not sure why he didn't play last night.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Missing 2 of our top 6 forwards (including our captain and best forward) and arguably our #1 dman plus Brampton is a really strong team. Not time to panic.
Some thoughts:
-Jelsma will make a huge difference plus he will bring the boys a strong positive never give up hard working example every game
-Akey will bring a lot more confidence and puck moving from the back end
-Bertucci has struggled so far in regular season, I think he is trying to do too much but he's also getting acquainted with new system and new teammates
-Elliasson needs time to adjust as well, I think he needs to sit on the third pairing

For now I'd go with the following lines/D-pairings:
York-Beaudoin-Hemming
Stewart-Patterson-Moses
Wigle-Gardiner-N.Newton
Lowe-J. Newton-Vaughan

Tiller-Bertucci
Aitcheson-Passmore
Handsor-Eliasson (limited minutes & easier matchups)

The D is really thin without Akey unless Bertucci starts getting his legs under him.
Brampton dominated that game so much last night I don’t know that Jelsma or akey would have changed the outcome too much. Marty trying to even out all the lines doesn’t work either and barely playing Vaughan is weird to me especially if u want his value high come the trade deadline

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Really good points...Really looked like October Hockey out there...disorganized, missed passes and honestly some panic when there was time to make a play . Yes N. Newton made a bunch of mistakes on the breakouts/not getting the puck out of the zone cleanly. He needs sheltered minutes to adjust to the speed of regular season f/t OHL play. Same with Lowe. I'm not sure Lowe is the player Marty thinks he is, and if he is, he needs to focus and make the little plays...don't try and do too much.

Moses hung on to puck a little long at times but I think I want him to hang onto it and try to make plays vs. just get rid of it. Wish he was a bit more explosive on the first few strides, it would make a big difference in his game.

Was happy to see Barrie Boy Rehkopf look great, he and Martone look like they have some chemistry and Macdonnel looks like he's going to be a big benefactor of that. Ivankovic is unreal - I know Barrie didn't have many shots but there were some really good scoring chances and He made easy work of them. Their team looks strong from top to bottom. I was also impressed with #27 can't remember his name, he was wearing a fishbowl.

Brampton dominated that game so much last night I don’t know that Jelsma or akey would have changed the outcome too much. Marty trying to even out all the lines doesn’t work either and barely playing Vaughan is weird to me especially if u want his value high come the trade deadline
You're also missing Patterson. And I disagree, if you're throwing Akey, Bertucci, Aitcheson out there for majority of the game it changes the entire dynamic of your team from the back end. I do agree that the balanced lines don't seem like they are going to work with this group. Vaughan had a tough game last night but I don't think being on a line with Derbidge helped. I wish they kept Grisolia...he is better suited for that 4th line.

Reactions: ShooterMcGavin98

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Really good points...Really looked like October Hockey out there...disorganized, missed passes and honestly some panic when there was time to make a play . Yes N. Newton made a bunch of mistakes on the breakouts/not getting the puck out of the zone cleanly. He needs sheltered minutes to adjust to the speed of regular season f/t OHL play. Same with Lowe. I'm not sure Lowe is the player Marty thinks he is, and if he is, he needs to focus and make the little plays...don't try and do too much.

Moses hung on to puck a little long at times but I think I want him to hang onto it and try to make plays vs. just get rid of it. Wish he was a bit more explosive on the first few strides, it would make a big difference in his game.

Was happy to see Barrie Boy Rehkopf look great, he and Martone look like they have some chemistry and Macdonnel looks like he's going to be a big benefactor of that. Ivankovic is unreal - I know Barrie didn't have many shots but there were some really good scoring chances and He made easy work of them. Their team looks strong from top to bottom. I was also impressed with #27 can't remember his name, he was wearing a fishbowl.

You're also missing Patterson. And I disagree, if you're throwing Akey, Bertucci, Aitcheson out there for majority of the game it changes the entire dynamic of your team from the back end. I do agree that the balanced lines don't seem like they are going to work with this group. Vaughan had a tough game last night but I don't think being on a line with Derbidge helped. I wish they kept Grisolia...he is better suited for that 4th line.
Akey will obviously help but to say he’ll be able to jump in right away and be dominant more than likely won’t happen he hasn’t played in a year it’ll take him some time u just hope he’s fully recovered and can come back to what he was during his draft year

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Looked like October hockey for the Colts. Not the Steelheads. It's all about coaching at this age. The much better coach won. You could give Marty all the thoroughbreds and he wouldn't do anything with them.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Looked like October hockey for the Colts. Not the Steelheads. It's all about coaching at this age. The much better coach won. You could give Marty all the thoroughbreds and he wouldn't do anything with them.
To be fair the Steelheads have had their guys all back and together for a while now and they have their entire roster playing/healthy. Not stating Marty as a great coach, just stating the obvious. If in a week Marty doesn't have it sorted out to be a little organized I'll join you on the soap box lol.

And ya Akey, will take some time to get his timing back, but he had shoulder surgery. I'm sure he's in good shape. And a 75% Akey is still better than most D in this league.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
To be fair the Steelheads have had their guys all back and together for a while now and they have their entire roster playing/healthy. Not stating Marty as a great coach, just stating the obvious. If in a week Marty doesn't have it sorted out to be a little organized I'll join you on the soap box lol.

And ya Akey, will take some time to get his timing back, but he had shoulder surgery. I'm sure he's in good shape. And a 75% Akey is still better than most D in this league.
Sure last night the guys missing hurts but Saturday losing at home vs north bay is a bad loss I get guys wernt playing but Barrie still dressed 5 nhl draft picks not including Aitchenson and they still lost vs a team with 2 nhl picks. And u had ur number 1 in net vs a rookie making his debut

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Sure last night the guys missing hurts but Saturday losing at home vs north bay is a bad loss I get guys wernt playing but Barrie still dressed 5 nhl draft picks not including Aitchenson and they still lost vs a team with 2 nhl picks. And u had ur number 1 in net vs a rookie making his debut
I'm not sure what your point is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad