Barkov shutdown style slightly overrated?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scema12

Oct 7, 2015
Still trying to figure out what that has to do with factual information and on ice performance?
Is there some magic stat that quantifies stick handling? If so I'm interested; it's based on opinion at the end of the day, and I'll trust the players over you or me any day. Not to mention somehow you think 0.83 vs 1.18 is fairly close?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
WE TALKING TAKEAWAYS?

DRAISAITL - 2.69 PER 60
barkov - 2.44 per 60

last 3 years

leon-draisaitl-edmonton-oilers.gif

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Every site about advanced stats should be paid. For example 100$ per minute. People should start watching hockey again, not a numbers.

Reactions: Zub

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Is there some magic stat that quantifies stick handling? If so I'm interested; it's based on opinion at the end of the day, and I'll trust the players over you or me any day. Not to mention somehow you think 0.83 vs 1.18 is fairly close?

Yeah they also voted a 150 year old Crosby as the "most complete player" and Leon Draistl as "the best passer". Mark Messier and PK Subban routinely choose the wrong teams to win series. Point is the professionals aren't always right. Neither am I or you. Which is why I prefer to resort numbers.

Scema12

Oct 7, 2015
Yeah they also voted a 150 year old Crosby as the "most complete player" and Leon Draistl as "the best passer". Mark Messier and PK Subban routinely choose the wrong teams to win series. Point is the professionals aren't always right. Neither am I or you. Which is why I prefer to resort numbers.
Yah? I mean those would be considered pretty accurate. What in the hell is one or two people predicting a series win, vs a player they ACTUALLY play against as the best in a specific style or play have to do with anything. Once again you keep reaching over and over again.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's just funny that we hear the same thing every series. "Oh, but Danault!" "Oh, but Tanev!" And here we are again - but this time it'll definitely be different.

I don't know. Maybe McDavid is better at figuring out defenses than defenses are at figuring out him. It's a wild thought but it's possible.

Maybe

But again you keep laughing at the idea that the worlds best 2 way C could create some problems for McDavid

But nope, this series will be all about McDavid doing whatever he wants and potting 3-4 points per game

You’re clearly not familiar with Barkovs game at all

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's rocking a 61% xG% at 5v5, second to only Bennett on the Panthers. He's been an absolute beast in all 3 zones, don't let +/- fool you.

He has the best xGA/60 numbers of all Florida forwards.
Yep. A lot of cases where "two-way forwards" get overrated defensively, but this really is the case where Barkov is properly rated. He is the best two-way forward in the league.

It's 2024 people. Stop referencing plus/minus. He has elite defensive metrics, and visually, this guys is a wet blanket against opposition offensive players with his size, strength, range (long stick for poke checks/stick lifts) and ability to dominate the wall and cut inside when he has a step.

People who are lukewarm on Barkov really don't know puck.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
People are going to have to confront a lot of emotions while Barkov transitions from underrated to accurately rated.
Nobody is allowed to say Barkov is underrated anymore. Anyone who actually watches hockey know he's an excellent player. this isn't 2019.

This reminds me of Loui Eriksson....Underrated, underrated, underrated until he turned to junk, then was overrated because he was underrated for so long.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nobody is allowed to say Barkov is underrated anymore. Anyone who actually watches hockey know he's an excellent player. this isn't 2019.

This reminds me of Loui Eriksson....Underrated, underrated, underrated until he turned to junk, then was overrated because he was underrated for so long.

Barkov still gets regularly underrated

If you think he’s just an excellent player, he’s one of the most impactfull players in the league yet rarely gets mentioned at the top. More like he’s just excellent

& for example on that list he was ranked 19th most valuable player for these playoffs..

People underrate the value of defense& shutting down top line and just keep looking at offense.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
better question is who has ever shut down 97? Barkov may try but i've yet to see anyone do it successfully.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

Anybody is allowed to say he is underrated until he’s accurately rated-which he’s not. He was voted most underrated this season by his peers? Nice job comparing him to Loui Eriksson. You just underrated Barkov because you don’t recognize greatness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Anybody is allowed to say he is underrated until he’s accurately rated-which he’s not. He was voted most underrated this season by his peers? Nice job comparing him to Loui Eriksson. You just underrated Barkov because you don’t recognize greatness.

He didn't say he was the same as Eriksson. He said it was the same phenomenon where every year he's voted "most underrated".

If you're voted most "underrated" 5 seasons in a row, you're not underrated. Everyone knows you're extremely good.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Barkov still gets regularly underrated

If you think he’s just an excellent player, he’s one of the most impactfull players in the league yet rarely gets mentioned at the top. More like he’s just excellent

& for example on that list he was ranked 19th most valuable player for these playoffs..

People underrate the value of defense& shutting down top line and just keep looking at offense.
“Chicks dig the long ball”

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He didn't say he was the same as Eriksson. He said it was the same phenomenon where every year he's voted "most underrated".

If you're voted most "underrated" 5 seasons in a row, you're not underrated. Everyone knows you're extremely good.

Then why does it so rarely shift into rankings and where he’s ranked?

Reactions: heksagon

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

I did not say he said he was the same as Eriksson. Pointless.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

I literally said he's an excellent player, I also said anybody who watches hockey can see how good he is.

It's like you want him to be underrated just so you have a reason to be outraged...We know he's good, he's the best in the league at what he does.

Not sure what your mad about here...

Scema12

Oct 7, 2015
I literally said he's an excellent player, I also said anybody who watches hockey can see how good he is.

It's like you want him to be underrated just so you have a reason to be outraged...We know he's good, and his trophy case is proof he's the best in the league at what he does.

Yah thats the issue I don't get, we all say he's great. Then they start making weird comparisons to ALL time goats.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Barkov not underrated anymore?

Not on the list

Not on the list

19th on the list

Not on the list

But good thing he’s not underrated, all know he’s ”excellent”

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

It's like you want him to be underrated just so you have a reason to be outraged...We know he's good, he's the best in the league at what he does.

Well he is

Just look above

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Barkov not underrated anymore?

Not on the list

Not on the list

19th on the list

Not on the list

But good thing he’s not underrated, all know he’s ”excellent”
He's a point per game, perennial Selke candidate, where should he be?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's a point per game, perennial Selke candidate, where should he be?

So we are back to underrating him?

Those lists have multiple ridiculous names ahead of him

Edit, and even with calling him a point per game player you are underrating him. He’s clearly a +ppg player

80 in 73
78 in 68
88 in 67

With a career high of 96

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
So we are back to underrating him?

Those lists have multiple ridiculous names ahead of him
I do not consider click-bait media nonsense to be an accurate reflection of knowledgeable hockey fans. Florida is not the same as Toronto for hockey coverage, so those outlets are going to pander to their audience, hence Barkov gets left off a lot of those lists.

KNOWLEDGEABLE fans see he's a top 10-15 player in the game, but any higher than that is just overcompensating for the lack of love he gets from clueless media.

Reactions: bossram
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad