Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Evan Rodrigues - 1 year 2M AAV

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Every team will have positions of strength and posituons of weakness. Every teams' roster will look gnarly if you take away their best player at that position, yet alone one of the best centers in the league.

Criticizing a 1 year, $2 million signing because it doesn't effectively replace Nathan MacKinnon in the lineup is batshit crazy.

A one year deal is wildly ideal. Shelling out more money and term for a slightly better 2 center would require us to start shipping out core players next year rather than like 3 years from now. This gives Newhook one more year to prove that he's the guy.

Not making this signing is like penciling rookies into your top 6 as meaningful contributors.

Making a long-term commitment to some half washed up star center makes it impossible for Newhook to ever efficiently fill the role.
No one’s saying it’s a bad deal in a vacuum. He adds depth and we need depth, but the worry comes from if they put him at 2C. He’s nowhere near a 2C, and that would be problematic. If he’s used as a depth piece though then there’s no issue with the deal.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
No one’s saying it’s a bad deal in a vacuum. He adds depth and we need depth, but the worry comes from if they put him at 2C. He’s nowhere near a 2C, and that would be problematic. If he’s used as a depth piece though then there’s no issue with the deal.
It’s not like signing him makes our 2C situation worse. So unless someone demonstrates how this deal will handcuff us at the deadline or result in bonuses being paid out of next year’s cap, it’s hard to see this as anything but a positive.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Meh, for all I know CMac was working the phones all summer long trying to make a trade but it takes two to dance. All the ERod signing did for sure was to push the AHLrs back into the AHL.

Not going to blame him for not making a bad forced trade for a 2C over the summer though, especially when we do have some internal options that can keep us going until something better comes along.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
No offense Sea, but the Avs could be icing me and my 37 year old can't-skate-for-shit ass for 20min a night, and you'd still say it's the best roster in the league.

This roster still has risk with it, primarily the 2C, and goalie.

However, if anyone ever is feeling depressed and needs someone to lend legitimate words of encouragement and to hype them up, you're absolutely the man for the job.

Get what you're saying there mate, but also remember without Kadri in the line-up, we were able to literally dominate the opposition last season, and we played top end teams during those periods.

We are going to start the year healthy. King Bo plays right off puck drop. We'll be the Stanley Cup Champs , so the occassion shouldn't get the better of anyone.

Meyers has another year under his belt. Manson and Cogliano start with us right off the bat, and will continue to build in chemistry (how fantastic was Manson's improvement with us , particularly in the playoffs).

And know what mate, you probably COULD do well if you were on the ice with two of Landeskog, Rantanen, Lehkonen or Nichushkin, then back dropped by Makar and Toews, with Georgiev in goal, so I agree.

Given Rodrigues already exponential improvement, could you just imagine how far he can go with players possibly 10X the quality that the Penguins placed him with?

I mean Jeez, Kadri was a good player before coming here. He ended up one the leagues best by the time he left and got his payday.

Also bear in mind Newhook's last handful of games he was on pace for 50-60 something points.

We are going back to back mate. I have absolutely zero doubts. I have more confidence than last season tbh.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

He was a 2C for Pittsburgh last year when Crosby was hurt and was analytically a stud player.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
It’s not like signing him makes our 2C situation worse. So unless someone demonstrates how this deal will handcuff us at the deadline or result in bonuses being paid out of next year’s cap, it’s hard to see this as anything but a positive.
He is depth for Bura leaving

Get what you're saying there mate, but also remember without Kadri in the line-up, we were able to literally dominate the opposition last season, and we played top end teams during those periods.

We are going to start the year healthy. King Bo plays right off puck drop. We'll be the Stanley Cup Champs , so the occassion shouldn't get the better of anyone.

Meyers has another year under his belt. Manson and Cogliano start with us right off the bat, and will continue to build in chemistry (how fantastic was Manson's improvement with us , particularly in the playoffs).

And know what mate, you probably COULD do well if you were on the ice with two of Landeskog, Rantanen, Lehkonen or Nichushkin, then back dropped by Makar and Toews, with Georgiev in goal, so I agree.

Given Rodrigues already exponential improvement, could you just imagine how far he can go with players possibly 10X the quality that the Penguins placed him with?

I mean Jeez, Kadri was a good player before coming here. He ended up one the leagues best by the time he left and got his payday.

Also bear in mind Newhook's last handful of games he was on pace for 50-60 something points.

We are going back to back mate. I have absolutely zero doubts. I have more confidence than last season tbh.
Same I can't see any team touching us

• Love
Reactions: Sea Eagles

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Today I learned that:

- @RockLobster can be an NHL player;

- Lehkonen and Rantanen are 10X better than Crosby and Guentzel; and

- Kadri is one of the best players in the league.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Today I learned that:

- @RockLobster can be an NHL player;

- Lehkonen and Rantanen are 10X better than Crosby and Guentzel; and

- Kadri is one of the best players in the league.

Actually, regardless of who else he played with, he was on a line with Crosby only 26.8% of the year. The rest of the time he didn't play with Crosby.

He was actually most productive with Zucker and Kapanen (6 points), and in my opinion Rantanen and Lehkonen are 10X better than these players (who I made it quite clear earlier earlier were the line mates I was referring to).

And yes, to me, if you're top 20 (statistically) in the league in BOTH overall aggregated points, and also points per game, 23rd in the entire league in powerplay points, 29th in the entire league in game winning goals, you're one of the best players in the league. Particularly given value for money .

Lastly, my point was there is a core around whoever plays 2C that should enhance their play. That includes our coach who has a track record of developing marquee quality talent (Nuke, Bura, Kadri, etc etc etc).

So belittle the comments all you want mate, I hold to my opinion , and think both Newhook and Rodrigues will be absolutely amazing this coming season. We have absolutely NO holes in our line-up.

I get we are a critical bunch (me included), but I have faith. I'd also be happy to give Rocky a go at 2C haha.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
For a team who just came off of WINNING THE STANLEY CUP, this offseason has been full of pessimism.

Guys we are still the team to beat in the west for sure, maybe the league and we have the trade deadline to shore up any holes.

I'm just worried about EJs blood alcohol level to start training camp hahaha.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
For a team who just came off of WINNING THE STANLEY CUP, this offseason has been full of pessimism.

Guys we are still the team to beat in the west for sure, maybe the league and we have the trade deadline to shore up any holes.

Speaking of shoring up holes. I really hope this season doesn't wash upon the shore like a bloated beached whale. 🐳

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
If he can get and hold onto Kadri’s place in PP1 and 2nd line center, Rodrigues will easily finish with more than 50 points.

Everyone in our top 6 finished with over 50 last year. That includes Gabe and Val who missed 30 and 20 games, each, respectively.

Also, it’s understated how easy it is to play forward when you’ve got a great defensemen behind you. And this year’s rearguard is healthy (1/6 hungover) and even better than last year.

Look for all of Rodrigues, JTC and Newhook to push for 50 points.

Let’s go!

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

You do know which board you're on right? :laugh: The Avs could go 82-0 and then 16-0 in the playoffs and half the board would still be ready to jump off a cliff.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

lol no kidding. The TR&FA thread has been borderline mainboard thread-level cringe this summer. It's surreal

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This core will never get past the second round and I stand by that. Too soft. We need to be trading the MacK's and Makar's for more proven playoff performers that can stand the grit and grind of the yoffs.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Whataya mean “you people”
1663513426669.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad