Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think the narrative is getting way ahead of reality. Everything he says and does is reinterpreted until it comes out to "Duchene wants to go", when there is really, truly no evidence to support that. He has never said anything to that effect, not once.

He's put up the worst statistical season of his life and shown little impetus in turning it around. He doesn't need to say anything, he's shown it in his actions or lack of.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He's put up the worst statistical season of his life and shown little impetus in turning it around. He doesn't need to say anything, he's shown it in his actions or lack of.

We should trade MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Barrie as well then.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Young D (solid, but not top pairing or #1 potential) + B prospect + late 1st

Fair enough, I suppose. I'm expecting a little bit more. CDH+Isles 1st+prospect sort of deal. Or Hamonic+ considering Hamonic, according to Isles fans, has also been very bad this year.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Duchene is and has been one of my favorite players, but at this point I just prefer if he is gone. It is time to move on and start a new direction with this team, let the younger guys take over and be the new faces of the franchise. He should still get us a solid return if we don't wait too long, and we can finally just put that stuff to rest. Having constant trade talks isn't good for the player or the locker room with how long its dragged on.

Let the new guys concentrate on playing hockey and learning the game, and hopefully its all in a positive atmoshphere with everyone buying into the team. They don't need to win every game, as long as we see the subtle improvements like actually making a pass giving a full effort every game. If we are still a lottery team in 2018, which I am sure we will be, with a little luck, in two years time this team should be on a solid foundation barring any catastrophe from our front office.

Then we start it all over again with Barrie ;) lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Fair enough, I suppose. I'm expecting a little bit more. CDH+Isles 1st+prospect sort of deal. Or Hamonic+ considering Hamonic, according to Isles fans, has also been very bad this year.

I could see CDH in a deal, but it would probably kill the 1st in the deal and the prospect would probably be meh... not a terrible one, but nothing too exciting either. I have a feeling Columbus is where Duchene will end up.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Do you expect him to tell media in an interview he wants out? Nobody has ever done that. You believe in your preferred narrative just like anybody else, nobody knows what's really going down.

Exactly! But we're all talking about it as if we do, and that's my problem with it. His comments last night after the game could just as easily be read as "I hope I don't get traded" as anything else. Maybe I'm just staking out the opposite position just so there is some resistance to this "consensus" we have that Duchene must be traded even if it's for scraps because he doesn't want to play here anymore, which I find insane.

Maybe he does get traded, maybe he even wants that. But people are now even talking about him requesting trades just because of the echo chamber on here making it seem like that's probably true even though not even the shadiest media blogger has suggested it yet.

Some people are saying they want him gone, and that's fine, but it annoys the hell out of me when people try to back up their wishes by twisting the evidence to support it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

So have Johnson, Barrie, Comeau, Beauchemin, Soderberg, Varlamov, and Landeskog. But only one of them has the "I want out" narrative swirling around them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So have Johnson, Barrie, Varlamov, and Landeskog. But only one of them has the "I want out" narrative swirling around them.

Because only one has stated he'd be okay with a trade.

I don't care about the narrative if Duchene wants out or not, but it is time to just move on.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Because only one has stated he'd be okay with a trade.

I don't care about the narrative if Duchene wants out or not, but it is time to just move on.

Landeskog said pretty much the same thing Duchene said about it being a business and he can't control what happens. Find me the interview where Duchene says something else, and I'll change my tune.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Personally speaking, bases for Duchene that I would be alright with:

CDH+Isles 1st
Forbort+Kings 1st
Ekholm+Fabbro
Murray+CBJ 1st

Anything less and I'd be dissapointed, so have to hope you're slightly wrong on this one henchy :laugh:

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Landeskog said pretty much the same thing Duchene said about it being a business and he can't control what happens. Find me the interview where Duchene says something else, and I'll change my tune.

Landeskog almost always says in the same statement that he wants to stay in Colorado and figure this out. Landy has spoken out far more about wanting to stay. Duchene used to, but that has changed. I really don't care about if Duchene wants out or not in the grand scheme, but their wording and statements are different. Landy has never said that he was open or okay with a trade, he said it was apart of the business. Duchene has said both this season.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Evans is loudmouth that likes to hear himself talk, but he is right that the core is overrated.

Kinda... he quit because he couldn't make the changes he felt were necessary for the team to win and was setup for a no win situation.

This has been discussed to death but we were headed for a no-win situation regardless. In fact, I think we dodged a frikkin' bullet if any of the 'necessary changes' that were needed were in line with acquiring anything ressembling : Talbot, Cliche, Beauchemin, Brière or Gelinas. (unless anyone thinks Sakic acquiring these francophones he didn't even know were his idea? :dunno:)

I hope to see him coaching another NHL team. People blamed him for the awful Corsi but maybe the team was just **** all along and he squeezed more out of that bunch of players than most other coach would have been able to? Who knows.

Roy saw that after the 2nd half of the season last year that the Beauchemin signing was going to be a frikkin' CRIPPLER and decided to grab the last parachute and bail the **** out. Now these players may not have been buying what Bednar's been selling but they certainly are not as bad as most have shown this season.

I just feel like Sakic isn't even seeking out a deal, he's just sitting there waiting for some crazy offer to come in.

I think the truth is that we will not see a deal done with Duchene until at LEAST after the expansion draft. No way does it happen before then.

Either way, I hope the speculation ends. Either get a damn deal done this season or announce that he's not up for grabs anymore.

I don't know what this is based on. Teams at the TDL wouldn't move an important part of their team at that time as it was counter-productive to do that for their playoff run. (Bergevin SHOULD have done it because his window is closing faster than he thinks but too bad for him)

Sakic was looking for a glam slam of a deal and wouldn't cave for anything less because he's in the driver's seat...the player is still under contract. His mistake was probably not having a heart to heart discussion with Duchene to give him a 'whazzup' as to monitor his expectations. It's pretty clear that Matt was probably expecting to be moved after so much speculation.

Sakic has not been able to make any moves since but I suspect he has a pretty good idea of what he'll be able to get.

I'm sticking with my guess of him going to Nashville (depending on how they do in the playoffs) prior to the expansion draft for something like :

Duchene, C
Grigorenko, C/LW/RW

For

Ekholm, LD (a player they could end up losing anyways) Top-4 D
Fiala, LW
Fabbro, RD

Or something similar to this. This allows the Preds to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This has been discussed to death but we were headed for a no-win situation regardless. In fact, I think we dodged a frikkin' bullet if any of the 'necessary changes' that were needed were in line with acquiring anything ressembling : Talbot, Cliche, Beauchemin, Brière or Gelinas. (unless anyone thinks Sakic acquiring these francophones he didn't even know were his idea? :dunno:)

Roy saw that after the 2nd half of the season last year that the Beauchemin signing was going to be a frikkin' CRIPPLER and decided to grab the last parachute and bail the **** out. Now these players may not have been buying what Bednar's been selling but they certainly are not as bad as most have shown this season.

I don't know what this is based on. Teams at the TDL wouldn't move an important part of their team at that time as it was counter-productive to do that for their playoff run. (Bergevin SHOULD have done it because his window is closing faster than he thinks but too bad for him)

Sakic was looking for a glam slam of a deal and wouldn't cave for anything less because he's in the driver's seat...the player is still under contract. His mistake was probably not having a heart to heart discussion with Duchene to give him a 'whazzup' as to monitor his expectations. It's pretty clear that Matt was probably expecting to be moved after so much speculation.

Sakic has not been able to make any moves since but I suspect he has a pretty good idea of what he'll be able to get.

I'm sticking with my guess of him going to Nashville (depending on how they do in the playoffs) prior to the expansion draft for something like :

Duchene, C
Grigorenko, C/LW/RW

For

Ekholm, LD (a player they could end up losing anyways) Top-4 D
Fiala, LW
Fabbro, RD

Or something similar to this. This allows the Preds to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1.

I honestly think a Ekholm/Fabbro package is the optimum package for this team. We get a young-ish Top-3 dman who can immediately fit on a pairing with EJ to lessen the pressure on the young guys. Fabbro has high potential, and from what I was reading he really started producing and getting comfortable in the second half of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a deal that gets done, and one that the Preds didn't want to make in season which is why the TDL passed without a Dutch deal.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Call me crazy but I don't think anything significant gets added onto Ekholm from Nashville after the season Duchene has had.

1) No interest in trading him to an in-division team
2) We shouldn't be selling low on a 26 year old with two full years left.

If the right deal comes up, take it, but don't compromise just because he had a bad year. Everyone did. If the right deal isn't on the table, then let him play it out next year. Not too many players are going to be thrilled about what has happened with him this year.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Really, I could see any team currently in the lottery section of the standings having a chance at landing Duchene if they started with their 1st round pick, and added their best defensive prospect. Lots of those teams could use him, and have some interesting pieces. Plus, I'm sure Sakic would love to be on TSN friday night talking about how he has kick started his rebuild with two new first round picks, and another prospect.

The Devils would be interesting. Around 5th overall+a small plus for Duchene? Would certainly make Taylor Hall happy, I'm sure (cue Oiler fan jokes).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This Columbus thing I've seen repeated elsewhere. What are we talking here? Murray and?

I don't know much at all... the Avs have had interest in Murray for a bit though. With the expansion draft and the way Johnson has played this year, it makes sense on a lot of levels. I'd imagine the pluses wouldn't be big to Murray.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So have Johnson, Barrie, Comeau, Beauchemin, Soderberg, Varlamov, and Landeskog. But only one of them has the "I want out" narrative swirling around them.

It's not difficult to read between the lines. Duchene is the one saying things like "if this is my last home game and I've only been to the playoffs twice" and both Varly and Landy have explicitly said "I want to stay an Av, I want to be here". I'm not one that gets in these who is your favorite core player debate, I'm not looking for things to fit my preferred viewpoint here. I've loved Duchene since the first game I saw of his live was his NHL debut. But there's a reason why he says I'm ready for whatever happens. And I dont subscribe to the wild theories that he's pouting his way out but he knows it's time.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Call me crazy but I don't think anything significant gets added onto Ekholm from Nashville after the season Duchene has had.

Duchene's value maybe at a low point but if a 26-year-old top 4 guy is all Sakic can get you bet your ass Duchene stays put and rightfully so.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're not getting the Hanifin, Chabot, Sergachev, etc type for Duchene but that was probably always the case. I think we'll still get a pretty good return though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's not difficult to read between the lines. Duchene is the one saying things like "if this is my last home game and I've only been to the playoffs twice" and both Varly and Landy have explicitly said "I want to stay an Av, I want to be here". I'm not one that gets in these who is your favorite core player debate, I'm not looking for things to fit my preferred viewpoint here. I've loved Duchene since the first game I saw of his live was his NHL debut. But there's a reason why he says I'm ready for whatever happens. And I dont subscribe to the wild theories that he's pouting his way out but he knows it's time.

All I'm saying is that there is a bit too much "reading between the lines" going on here. There's a fine line between that and base speculation. You could easily read something else from the information we have available. For instance, we know he is mentally struggling on the ice, maybe it's because he's depressed and upset at the thought he might be traded because he doesn't want to leave. It's just as likely as anything else given what we know about his love for the Avs and how happy he was to be drafted here.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
All I'm saying is that there is a bit too much "reading between the lines" going on here. There's a fine line between that and base speculation. You could easily read something else from the information we have available. For instance, we know he is mentally struggling on the ice, maybe it's because he's depressed and upset at the thought he might be traded because he doesn't want to leave. It's just as likely as anything else given what we know about his love for the Avs and how happy he was to be drafted here.

You really don't want him to go, do you..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad