Proposal: Avs-Preds Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
no one is saying he isnt. But hes a UFA, he is 31 years old and we are loaded on the left side. How many years do you think ekholm will be better then byram? 1 ? 2? Lets not pretend were talking about Josi here....
The only Nashville fans I've seen in this thread aren't really interested in trading our guys, without really even factoring the prospects involved. OP isn't a Preds fan. Also, Ekholm was better than Josi most of last year. He's still probably a #2 for more than a few teams. He's 31, but he's also been extremely consistent and durable, so he could keep up the level of play for a few more years (assuming a crackdown on crosschecks doesn't kill his game :laugh:).

Reactions: Armourboy

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
The only Nashville fans I've seen in this thread aren't really interested in trading our guys, without really even factoring the prospects involved. OP isn't a Preds fan. Also, Ekholm was better than Josi most of last year. He's still probably a #2 for more than a few teams. He's 31, but he's also been extremely consistent and durable, so he could keep up the level of play for a few more years (assuming a crackdown on crosschecks doesn't kill his game :laugh:).

I agree with this, and he would be the perfect partner for Makar (I'm thinking Ekholm ends up being a Hjalmarsson type into his late 30s)

He's always as good, if not better, than Josi in the D zone....but Josi is still obviously the superior player given his transition game and offense is way above.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The only reason Ekholm isn't a top pairing defenseman is because Josi plays above him, he's a 40 point defensive defenseman in his prime on an incredibly stupid cheap contract. A top prospect is fair for his return, especially since we're trading another 1st line player at 50% and a top 6 forward in Kunin as well.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Forsberg just turned 27 and Ekholm is 31 not 35+. They have plenty of career left.

They just don't have a lot of current contract left. And the Avs will not be able to afford to keep either of them, nor do Forsberg/Ekholm guarantee the Avs a Cup, so what's the point? The smart move is to keep the two youngsters with 2 ELC years left and see what they can do, not trade them for a couple of pending UFAs.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The only reason Ekholm isn't a top pairing defenseman is because Josi plays above him, he's a 40 point defensive defenseman in his prime on an incredibly stupid cheap contract. A top prospect is fair for his return, especially since we're trading another 1st line player at 50% and a top 6 forward in Kunin as well.

But, there's only 1 year left on that stupid cheap contract. And the Avs already have Toews and Girard signed for 3/6 more years on very reasonable contracts. And Byram with 2 more ELC years left.

So, while I completely agree that a fair market value from a team who needs someone like Ekholm should be a top prospect, there's simply no logical reason why the Avs should pay that price, because he's a luxury for us. Same with Forsberg. And, we're going to need our top prospects to contribute as the older/more expensive guys price themselves out of town, so trading them away is a bad idea.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Uhhhh…I’m an Avs fan and I’d love to have Ekholm, he’d immediately free up Makar to just do his thing without worrying about his partner. I think you are massively underrating Ekholm. I’d love it if Byram managed to hit Ekholm level of defense.
He’ll get there. While being far better with the puck. Byram profiles as an elite player. Ehholm doesn’t nor ever will be. He’s just very capable in his zone. Byram has far more upside and he’s well on his way to realizing it.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Some of you seem to think it's just 2 bluechips for 2 rentals, when there's obviously more in it. Colorado is also sending out 2 cap dumps while getting a fine young center. Another way to look at this could be something like this:

Byram for both Forsberg@50% and Ekholm

Newhook+2 cap dumps for Kunin

If it was just 2 for 2 i would agree that would be terrible for Colorado. But as it's proposed i think it's pretty fair value. Also why would it be so impossible to re-sign Forsberg and Ekholm? I think you could keep atleast one, maybe even both If you let Kadri walk and Kunin take over the 2C role.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Some of you seem to think it's just 2 bluechips for 2 rentals, when there's obviously more in it. Colorado is also sending out 2 cap dumps while getting a fine young center. Another way to look at this could be something like this:

If it was just 2 for 2 i would agree that would be terrible for Colorado. But as it's proposed i think it's pretty fair value. Also why would it be so impossible to re-sign Forsberg and Ekholm? I think you could keep atleast one, maybe even both If you let Kadri walk and Kunin take over the 2C role.
It's not fair value in the slightest. It's nonsensical for the Avs. I also love the vague "top prospect" characterization of Byram. He is at worst a top 5 defensive prospect in the world, there is no way in hell the Avs trade him for those two.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Eh like Kunin as much as the next guy but he didn't even play center for us last season let alone 2C. If that was possible Poile wouldn't have bothered getting Glass.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
It's not fair value in the slightest. It's nonsensical for the Avs. I also love the vague "top prospect" characterization of Byram. He is at worst a top 5 defensive prospect in the world, there is no way in hell the Avs trade him for those two.
While i disagree with posters(not you) saying Byram is already better than Ekholm, still prehaps you're right that he would be too valuable to use in a trade like this. My last comment was mostly about people completely ignoring the other pieces in the trade.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
There's no way that would work for Nashville. We would want a 1st+prospect for each. Not including any retention. So that's 2 1sts + 2 prospects. Byram isn't worth that much to us. We'd trade them separately to other teams before taking just Byram.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why would we trade even just Kunin for Newhook? They have similar draft pedigree. Why shave just 3 years off when we already have Kunin playing well for us and providing a little more physicality? Kunin is 23, he's not 30. Let alone taking on Cap dumps too!

I think the way you broke down the trade really adds a lot of emphasis as to why it would be a terrible terrible combined trade for the Preds. Sorry.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Byram. Last night playing with a roster of career AHL nobodies and 18-19 year olds vs a 2/3rds of Vegas NHL team, in Vegas, leads his team in ice time, goes 1-1-2 and +2 with Corsi for of 53% in a game the Avs are otherwise outshot badly. Scores a nasty sniper goal Ekholm cant score because he’s not that kind of defender.

Byram is one of the very best NHL prospects in the world. Same tier as Sieder, Zegras, Caufield and Drysdale. He’s in the mix with those guys as best young NHL talents. He just turned 20. His ceiling is so high. Well above a fully realized Ekholm, who is already 31 and heading into UFA.

So get Byram’s Fing name out of your mouth with these stupid trade threads. He will be a center piece to the Avs Dcore for the next decade+. And a decade from today, he’s still younger than Ekholm is right now. Byram, in the year 2031, is still younger than Ekholm is today. Let that wash over you.

Let’s you ponder What a truly stupid idea it is to swap them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linds and Ararana

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Byram. Last night playing with a roster of career AHL nobodies and 18-19 year olds vs a 2/3rds of Vegas NHL team, in Vegas, leads his team in ice time, goes 1-1-2 and +2 with Corsi for of 53% in a game the Avs are otherwise outshot badly. Scores a nasty sniper goal Ekholm cant score because he’s not that kind of defender.

Byram is one of the very best NHL prospects in the world. Same tier as Sieder, Zegras, Caufield and Drysdale. He’s in the mix with those guys as best young NHL talents. He just turned 20. His ceiling is so high. Well above a fully realized Ekholm, who is already 31 and heading into UFA.

So get Byram’s Fing name out of your mouth with these stupid trade threads. He will be a center piece to the Avs Dcore for the next decade+. And a decade from today, he’s still younger than Ekholm is right now. Byram, in the year 2031, is still younger than Ekholm is today. Let that wash over you.

Let’s you ponder What a truly stupid idea it is to swap them.

I can find plenty more.

We get it. Byram has insane potential. The Avs have him cost controlled for number of season yet.

You have to give to get. Colorado is not adding any talent like forsberg or ekholm without giving up something that stings, but that's the price to pay if you think it will win you a cup right now.

If not, then fine. We'll find other suitors

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Why would we trade even just Kunin for Newhook? They have similar draft pedigree. Why shave just 3 years off when we already have Kunin playing well for us and providing a little more physicality? Kunin is 23, he's not 30. Let alone taking on Cap dumps too!

I think the way you broke down the trade really adds a lot of emphasis as to why it would be a terrible terrible combined trade for the Preds. Sorry.
Well yeah you can break it down anyway you like. The point is if Preds would decide to rebuild, then that's a hell of a package. Kunin and the cap dumps are there to balance the value. You seem to think the propsed value hevily favors the Avs?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I can find plenty more.

We get it. Byram has insane potential. The Avs have him cost controlled for number of season yet.

You have to give to get. Colorado is not adding any talent like forsberg or ekholm without giving up something that stings, but that's the price to pay if you think it will win you a cup right now.

If not, then fine. We'll find other suitors

Ellis returned Glass + Myers. Neither are remotely close to Byram or Newhook current value. Newhook's value may go down if he's having troubles keeping a spot in the top 9, but both the coaching + management have high expectations for him this year.

You're looking at players like Helleson, Barron, Jost, Olaufsson. There are probably better prospects you'll like that are similar caliber to them, but neither are close to being worth Byram. Also, Buchnevich went for a 2nd + who is a comparable talent to Forsberg/Ekholm.

Last edited:
Reactions: McJedi

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well yeah you can break it down anyway you like. The point is if Preds would decide to rebuild, then that's a hell of a package. Kunin and the cap dumps are there to balance the value. You seem to think the propsed value hevily favors the Avs?
There's no way in hell I do that trade from the Avs perspective either.

I think it just completely misses what BOTH teams are looking for. The Avs are already mega-contenders with a rockstar core, why trade their cheap top young prospects for anything at this point? They should be able to win with what they have, and they should be thrilled to be able to keep backfilling with young talent like Byram and Newhook. Meanwhile, the Preds are looking to compete and make the playoffs themselves and retain their best forward and second-best defenseman long-term. Trading them for prospects is not what we want to do. (Not yet anyway.) And trading Kunin is just no part of any outcome that makes any sense for us. It's broken on all levels and is disfavorable to both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad